Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Beach, A Disgrace

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭spookwoman

They are allowed off the lead but still have to have control over the animal and aware of whats its up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

i'm 100% in agreement with you, its disgusting that peope will bring their dogs for walks on the beach but they will not clean up after their dogs, and this is their thinking
    ahh the tide will take it out
    ahh the council will clean it up
    ahh know one will walk on it if i cover it in sand
    ahh i forgot my baggy that will clean it up

what else excuse is there to justify standing in dog ****

they should be ashamed of themselves and u no who u are!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

i'm 100% in agreement with you, its disgusting that peope will bring their dogs for walks on the beach but they will not clean up after their dogs, and this is their thinking
    ahh the tide will take it out
    ahh the council will clean it up
    ahh know one will walk on it if i cover it in sand
    ahh i forgot my baggy that will clean it up

what else excuse is there to justify standing in dog ****

they should be ashamed of themselves and u no who u are!!!

As a dog owner I find it incredible that these morons won't pay for a grabber and a couple of dozen bags for less than a tenner. Prosecute them.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I stopped bringing my dog down on the beach for his walks because she took a liking to rubbing himself in various mounds of horse dung (apparently terriers do this to mask their scent :confused:) . Inconsiderate horse owners should be made clean up after their animals too.

True Mugser the stable should be made to clean up after their horses but if your dog was on a lead wouldnt you be able to keep your distance from the horse manure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

One of those 5m retractable leads, which I used only use on the beach. Use the normal 1m one on the footpaths now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Was just coming on to post about the dog dirt all over the prom. Absolutely disgraceful. Whole family went for a walk today, was like an obstacle course avoiding at first, then when we got to what seemed like a cleaner part I started kicking a small ball around with my toddler until he picked the ball up covered in dog sh!t which then got on his hands too.

Ignorant dog owners should be made eat what they don't pick up. Scumbags.

think people need to start posting on tramore and waterford pages ref the problems. public forum they won't like it being highlighted. start taking pictures and post them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

spookwoman wrote: »
    think people need to start posting on tramore and waterford pages ref the problems. public forum they won't like it being highlighted. start taking pictures and post them

We are already aware of the problem but its very hard to enforce it.

Sully wrote: »

Indeed. Went to Mass in the Folly today. The path was strewn with the stuff. A disgrace. Dog owners need to take responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 johnny craw

I have a large cage down by sand dunes which i attached two dog poop boxes no either side in the hope it may help reduce the amount me discarded used poop bags. Would you believe they were stolen a week later. Sad

Sully wrote: »

If there was someone on duty it would pay, 50 on the spot fine and if they dont have the money on them then it goes up. the other day in a space of 1 hour could have made 150. Sure people would volunteer and go on duty when they go for a walk. couple to patrols a day and start naming and shaming

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

I was disgusted the other day to see a retired Garda detective and his wife walking their little white dog on the prom. The dog was crapping and the man just tugged the dog by the lead and walked on. It's well he's retired or I'd have reported him at the barracks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Guramoogah wrote: »
    I was disgusted the other day to see a retired Garda detective and his wife walking their little white dog on the prom. The dog was crapping and the man just tugged the dog by the lead and walked on. It's well he's retired or I'd have reported him at the barracks.

And therein lies part of the problem, as pointed out on local radio. Some people genuinely don't know. Dogs are constantly stopping and sniffing at everything. So you may not notice.

Personally, having had dogs for years, I generally gave a tug on the lead without taking much notice of what she is at to get her to move along. I don't turn around and do an inspection every time she stops. I carry a pop bag, as does anybody I know who walks dogs, in the event it happens. Generally, they won't budge if they are in the middle of a poop and that's when you turn around to wonder 'what in the name of god is she at'.

Sorry but dogs don't shout out "hey stop I need a crap", it is the responsibility of the owner to be aware of what they are doing. Isn't that a serious problem in itself when owners don't bother checking when they know dogs will just do it anywhere and worse when owners know there is a law on dog fouling.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Sorry but dogs don't shout out "hey stop I need a crap", it is the responsibility of the owner to be aware of what they are doing. Isn't that a serious problem in itself when owners don't bother checking when they know dogs will just do it anywhere and worse when owners know there is a law on dog fouling.

I agree, but not everybody 'lets' it happen. Some are purely ignorant and lazy, others know how wrong it is and would be embarrassed if it happened.

Less than 5 mins at Tramore and this is what I see

As a dog owner I cannot understand this. A tenner in Maxi Zoo (lovely people) for a poop scoop and bags. Some people are just scumbags.

Bad enough leaving in the sand some bugger also left a pile on the path you can see in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I try and walk my dog every Sunday on the beach and I bring the poop bags and 9 times out of 10 he makes sure to have a crap at some stage. I then can manage to carry the bag until I reach a bin. No biggie.

But what pisses me right off is that one a few occasions I have come across full poop bags thrown on the beach. I mean it beggars belief. :confused:

They would have been better off leaving the exposed poo where it was and even cover it with sand rather than throwing it into a plastic bag that will take decades and decades to decompose if ever.

I also think that under the current by laws horses are not allowed on the beach but I am open to correction on that.

• Advertisement

I think the horses are allowed through special permission from looking at EPA site But yes i would agree that the owners should clean up after them. As for dropping the bags it's something I cannot understand. I might not own dogs but I have 3 indoor cats that use litter trays and have plenty of dealing with crap. Since about 2008 the beach has become very dirty and when it was highlighted in the papers it was cleaned up but its gone back to the way things were I think when your start seeing EPA reports from over the years you start to wonder.
    "For the 2012 bathing season, Tramore Beach achieved sufficient water quality status and complied with the EU mandatory values. Tramore Beach had good water quality status during the periods 2009 to 2010 and 2004 to 2007. The bathing water had sufficient water quality status in 2011, 2008 and 2003."

Advertisement