Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risotto recipes

Options
  • 18-04-2010 9:12pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone got any nice risotto recipes? Not mushroom, though. Since making xxdilemmaxx's smoked haddock and leek risotto, I've wanted to try another, and would like tried and tested recipes. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Weird, I made Risotto tonight.

It was Mushroom though.

I also never had it before the Cooking Club one, and I think I'm hooked now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Butternut squash risotto is one of my favourites. Brush with oil, roast it, chop it up and add towards the end with your parmesan and butter. You can also add the seeds and membranes to your stock for extra flavour. (strain off before using.)

Some optional sprinkling of fried sage is nice with this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Rachel Allen has a really tasty recipe for risotto with red wine, peas and chorizo. It is GORGEOUS. Works really well as a dinner party starter as you drizzle the oil from the choizo around the plate and serve with a parmesan crisp. Mmmmmm, think I will make this tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/redwinerisottowithch_93237.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

heres a few from the bbc website

edit: it seems xxdilemmaxx got there ahead of me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've got one here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I always do it with Chicken, Bacon and Peas.

Just add the Bacon (normal streaky Bacon chopped into small bits) when frying off the onions, and add the Chicken (already cooked) and Frozen Peas with the last ladle of Stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

chirizo,pea and mint risotto is great.
    Use chicken stock and add the mint at the very end with the juice of a lemon.
    Sounds strange but it's REALLY tasty.

Also Beetroot and orange risotto is very nice and an amazing colour.
    Cook a whole beetroot in some chicken stock - this will turn your stock red - and add some fresh orange juice. This is your stock for the risotto.
    You can add the beetroot, chopped, to the risotto at the end and serve it with some orange segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This recipe is delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

I love Risotto!
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows some video recipes/tutorials on Risotto.
    I haven't found any good ones on you tube.

That champagne risotto looks the biz but I'm the sort of cook that needs to be baby stepped into cooking something new so books are a waste for me,I'd need video.

Cheers if you can help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Catherine Fulvio does an oven baked Tomato and Sausage Risotto and it's epic. As it's oven baked you don't have to stand and stir for 20 mins.

http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/0124/sausageandtomatorisotto.html

I've also left out the Italian sausages and just made it with plain and added some dried chilli and fennel seeds to make up for it and it's still been perfect. I use passata instead of tinned toms and I've also halved the recipe which worked too. It's better with Carnaroli than Arborio rice.

Just make sure your oven is preheated and your stock is at a simmer before you add it. Mine is also usually ready around the 30 min mark so check from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

I usually make up the white risotto as per usual (sweat onions, celery, garlic - add risotto - add wine - add stock one ladel at a time - add parmesan and knob of butter). In a separate frying pan fry some cherry tomatoes (cut in half) and small cubes of chorizo in olive oil. Add a little oregano and balsamic and when that's done (~7/8 minutes) chuck the whole lot into the risotto. It gives it a good red/orange swirl of colour and the crispy chorizo is a good texture in the creamy rice.

Advertisement