Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

P**sed off with Garage

• 18-04-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Weeks back I posted here asking about what you thought about a warning light for brake pads coming on 3k miles after being replaced at 80k miles. Well the brake light came on again a few times after that so I carried the car to the garage where I bought the car to get it looked at. I had my car booked in so I expected the garage mechanics would work on my car at that time frame. While my car was at the garage, there was a few other things that werent working in the car, I had lost my spare key so I had to get a new key for the car recoded. There were a few other small things, like boot lights and sensor gone and decided that I would get them done while the car was there in the garage. There were things that werent working since I bought car. So I wrote out a list 1-5 in order or priority to be fixed. I had rang the garage monday telling them what I needed done and the dealer said they would be able to do all. However, when I collected my car they told me that they didnt do the brake pads as they hadnt the parts etc and that they hadnt parts for some of the other things listed. My garage didnt work on my car until out in the day so they had very little time to fix the problems, It was booked in for the morning. My father spotted the car idle in the location I left it outside garage at midday and rang them immediately asking them why the car wasnt inside the workshop? They then started working on the car.

When I collected car after closing hours, one of the mechanics cheekily wrote on the list (point 6) that my car is 10 years old and that I should buy (NEW). I took it as your man being an assh**le. I look after my car as its my interest and intend to keep for a few more years as I had bought it with low mileage. I can understand if something cant be done but I am not going back to the garage anymore after that comment alone. Am I overacting or should I ask the garage to explain the comment?

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

move on he is been a an asshole , go to the manager and she what he says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

He made a joke, you didn't find it funny. Nothing to see here, move along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

He made a joke, you didn't find it funny. Nothing to see here, move along.

I wouldn't really consider it acceptable if you left your car in to have stuff done, for a mechanic to say "it's 10 years old, I can't be arsed doing this work, go buy a new car"

Would you be happy giving money to the garage if you got treated that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I wouldn't really consider it acceptable if you left your car in to have stuff done, for a mechanic to say "it's 10 years old, I can't be arsed doing this work, go buy a new car"

Would you be happy giving money to the garage if you got treated that way?
    Something that could be completely innocuous in person can come across quite differently on paper. It's a continual problem on boards, and it would be twenty times worse without smilies. People generally don't act the dick in writing, especially not on the job (unless they're Kevin Myers).

When there are two ways of interpreting a person's writing, assume they meant the non-dickish interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Something that could be completely innocuous in person can come across quite differently on paper. It's a continual problem on boards, and it would be twenty times worse without smilies. People generally don't act the dick in writing, especially not on the job (unless they're Kevin Myers).

When there are two ways of interpreting a person's writing, assume they meant the non-dickish interpretation.
    Which is?

Id be pretty pi$$ed if I got that when leaving my (similarly aged) car in to be serviced. Totally unprofessional imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I agree with you guys dannyboy, challengemaster and Maxpower, you would expect the garage to do whatever the customer requested. I will mention the comment to the dealer also, and he can have a word with the mechanic in question. Your man spent more time writing that note than working on my car by the looks of things. This mechanic has failed twice now to fix the same problem(s). I wasnt asking them to do alot now in fairness. Any competant mechanic should have no problems. I paid 6k for the car back in August and for that I was expecting better from the garage. I know what to do now anyway, Il take my business elsewhere to a garage that has some bit of respect for their customers. At the end of the day they will be loosing a valuable customer. Over the years since 1988 to 2009, all our family have bought 15 cars in total from the garage, and these cars have been both new and second hand. I may be the last of our family to buy here.

Advertisement