Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance for UK Reg

• 18-04-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All,
    I have a UK Reg in Dublin. I live abroad and am in Dublin at weekends but would be classified as non resident. I only have the car for 2 months and hence have another 4 to go before being able to import into Ireland without VRT. I would like to use car at weekends when I am home. Is there any insurance company that will insure a UK reg car in Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sparky1972 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have a UK Reg in Dublin. I live abroad and am in Dublin at weekends but would be classified as non resident. I only have the car for 2 months and hence have another 4 to go before being able to import into Ireland without VRT. I would like to use car at weekends when I am home. Is there any insurance company that will insure a UK reg car in Ireland.

You want to drive the car for 4 months in Ireland without VRTing it? Sorry mate, they've just cracked down on that. Any foreign reg car that is insured in Ireland for more than 42 days will be automatically reported to the Revenue for tax evasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hi All,
    I live abroad and am in Dublin at weekends but would be classified as non resident.Is there any insurance company that will insure a UK reg car in Ireland.

If you live abroad just get an abroad insurer to insure it at your abroad address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Quinn does it, have used him before in the same circumstances/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andy007

Hi All,

quinn direct will insure it 4 ye m8

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I have a UK Reg in Dublin...but would be classified as non resident. I only have the car for 2 months and hence have another 4 to go before being able to import into Ireland without VRT.

I think that vehicle does not qualify for VRT relief for transfer of residence.

"you must have had possession of and have actually used the vehicle outside the State for at least 6 months before your transfer to Ireland. In the case of relief from import charges, you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence. Any possession and use in the State, even during times when you were living abroad, does not count" (source: VRT 3 - Revenue.ie)

In order to claim VRT relief on transfer of residence, the Revenue would ask you to provide proof of the above. (e.g. UK insurance certificate covering the relevant period)

It would be worth having a look at the Revenue Operation Manual 16/2 on Reliefs and Exemptions to VRT (pdf) and check the paperwork the Revenue requires.
    (Disclaimer: It would be advisable to seek professional advice from a tax advisor to confirm that both yourself and your vehicle qualifies.)

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Hi All,
    I have a UK Reg in Dublin....... I only have the car for 2 months and hence have another 4 to go before being able to import into Ireland without VRT..

Doesn't work like that. Reg doesn't matter... car needs to be USED in UK for the 6 months while you like there. It has already been imported to Ireland!

You are liable for VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Confab wrote: »
    Any foreign reg car that is insured in Ireland for more than 42 days will be automatically reported to the Revenue for tax evasion.

Where is that information from?

M

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Where is that information from?

Its in the Finance Act for this year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Its in the Finance Act for this year.

Can anyone find a link to the ammendment? I can only find the Finance Bill, not the Act or SI itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hi All,

Britton Insurance will do it for ya no bother fella.

• Advertisement
    M

macplaxton wrote: »
    Can anyone find a link to the ammendment? I can only find the Finance Bill, not the Act or SI itself.

Page 143 of this doc http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/Finance%20Bill%202010/Bill2010.pdf

(1) The Finance Act 1992 is amended by inserting the
    following after section 142:

‘‘
    142A.(1) In this section
    policy of insurancemeans an approved policy of insurance
    referred to in section 56(1)(
    a) of the Road Traffic Act 1961;
    unregistered vehiclemeans a vehicle that has not been registered
    in the State under section 131 of this Act or section 6 of
    the Roads Act 1960;

vehicle insurerhas the same meaning as in section 58 of the
    Road Traffic Act 1961.