Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally of the lakes?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Will be in killarney for the may bank holiday weekend,is there usually a good atmosphere aroung town with the rally being on?never been down to it before...lets hope the sun shines :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

It depends how you interpret 'a good atmosphere’. I get out of the town for the weekend.

To recreate it at home:
    1. Play ‘car sounds’ on loud,
    2. Throw rubbish at yourself and your garden.
    3. Do a lot of hawking and spitting.
    It’s a pity as the actually rally participants that I have met are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

the Press launch was on last night . wonderful turnout, the motor club have put alot of work into running this event, as always.
    Cartell.ie are involved too.
    Its going to be a very busy weekend around Killarney. I hope we get lots of sunshine too makes it easyer to sit on a ditch and watch the cars go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

AmberAmber wrote: »
    Its going to be a very busy weekend around Killarney. I hope we get lots of sunshine too makes it easyer to sit on a ditch and watch the cars go by.

Hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

Just wondering is there a best spot to watch the rally on saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I can't wait. Not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

clarelad wrote: »
    Just wondering is there a best spot to watch the rally on saturday?

If you buy the programe I am sure some spectators spots are marked out on it. stages are over around Rathmore and millstreet on the sat'.
    I got my programe today forgot it at work ! so cant list places now, but the map from OSI with the programe is great ! good detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

The official website does not list where the stages are taking place, only when
    http://www.rallyofthelakes.com/programme.html

Maybe this will help a bit: http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,3671,en.html
    Temporary Closing of Roads - Rally of the Lakes 2010

Released: 15 April 2010
    KERRY COUNTY COUNCIL
    TEMPORARY CLOSING OF ROADS
    SECTION 75 OF ROADS ACT 1993
    RALLY OF THE LAKES 2010
    Notice is hereby given that, pursuant to Section 75 of the Roads Act, 1993, and the Temporary Closing of Roads Regulations, 1994, Kerry County Council proposes to close to public traffic the roads described hereunder to facilitate the holding of the International Rally of the Lakes 2010 from Saturday, May 1st to Sunday May 2nd 2010.
    Saturday, May 1st 2010
    SS1 & SS4: Banard
    Roads Closed: L-7029, L-7031, L-3012, L-7044, L-3013, L-7046 and L-7045
    (Road Closing Times: from 09.45 to 13.10 and from 13.40 to 16.55)
    Starting at Scrahanagullane via Banard, Meentoges, Knockdorah, Readrinagh, Lisbabe, Annaghilymore, Maulykeavane, Scrahanaveal and finishing at Maughantoorig.

SS3 & SS6: Gortnagane
    Road Closed: L-3014
    (Road Closing Times: from 12.50 to 16:00 and from 16.30 to 19.45)
    Starting at the County Bounds at Annaskirtawn via Gortnagane, Doocarrig, Drom to the R-570 and finishing at Headford.

SS7: Molls Gap
    Road Closed: N71
    (Road Closing Time: from 17.00 to 21.00)
    Starting 100 metres beyond the entrance to Muckross House via Galway’s Bridge, Molls Gap, Carraig East and finishing at Cappamore.

Sunday, May 2nd 2010

SS8 & SS12: Shanera
    Roads Closed: L-7512, L-7552, L-4039, L-11752, L-11750, L-11746, L-11745 and L-7511
    (Road Closing Times: from 07.45 to 11.00 and from 13.00 to 16.15)
    Starting at Gaddagh Bridge via Caroonahone, Gortboy, Geara, Shanacloon, Kilgobnet,
    Kill, Ballyledder, Shanera Upper, Shanera Lower, Kilcoolaght West, Ardnacnuckeen, Ownagarry Bridge and finishing at Mount Rivers Cross.

SS9 & SS13: Caragh Lake
    Roads Closed: L-4017, L-4018 and L-4019
    (Road Closing Times: from 08.30 to 11.45 and from 13.40 to 17.00)
    Starting at Quaybawn via Lough Beg, Bunglasha North, Bunglasha South, Drom East, Blackstones Bridge and finishing at Shancashel Cross Roads.

SS10: Currow Ross
    Roads Closed: L-7009, L-7010, L-2033, L-7008, L-7012, L-3002, L-3005 and L-7014
    (Road Closing Time: from 10.20 to 13.45)
    Starting at Scart Cross (N22) to Boolacullane, Rossanean, Reavanun, Currow City, Ranaleen, Shanawillan, Kilsarcon West, Kilsarcon East, Knockanroe and finishing at Bawnaglanna.
    SS11 & 14: Rockfield
    Roads Closed: L-11003, L-8003, L-8001, L-11008, L-11007 and L-11083
    (Road Closing Times: from 11.20 to 14.30 and from 15.10 to 18.30)
    Starting from the R-563 at Lisavane West via Lisheenashingane, Laharn, Rockfield East, Rockfield Bridge, Rockfield Middle, Rockfield West, Kilnarovanagh and finish at Listry Cross.

In addition, all adjoining public roads will be closed for a distance of 200m from each junction within the above routes.
    Any person having an objection to this proposal should lodge same with the Administrative Officer, Roads, Transportation & Safety Department, Áras an Chontae, Rathass, Tralee, County Kerry, before 5.00pm on Monday 19th April, 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This event is really damaging to Killarney and the reputation it has, luckily it is on during a quieter period for tourism. The Rally people themselves do a good job but have no control over the scum it attracts into the town.
    madrabui wrote:
    It depends how you interpret 'a good atmosphere’. I get out of the town for the weekend.

To recreate it at home:
    1. Play ‘car sounds’ on loud,
    2. Throw rubbish at yourself and your garden.
    3. Do a lot of hawking and spitting.
    It’s a pity as the actually rally participants that I have met are great.

Spot on, luckily I escape to London in the Morning but did not escape unaccosted today, I am glad I have good brakes in my car as I had to stick her to the road today on the way home from Macroom after some nop in a white integra overtook me straight into oncoming traffic, had I not been able to brake to make room for him there would have been a fatality. Ever year it is the same and I was talking to a few friends during the week and we have now labelled it the "Annual Killarney Chav Scummer Convention".

It is damaging to the rep of a beautiful town which attracts the upper and middle classes and drive into any Killarney hotel carpark and you will see a selection of proper cars unlike the tincans these muppets drive in.

I wish Killarney would ban it as it is like being under siege every year.

I'm back from a cycle earlier on. I must commend the cuteness of the Gardaí. They have/had a check point just outside the Muckross Gallery. It's like shooting fish in a barrel!

Both neighbours have left for the weekend to get away from it. The 'business' community say it's great for the economy of the town, but what about the non-profiting Killarney residents who have to get out of town for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

madrabui wrote: »
    I'm back from a cycle earlier on. I must commend the cuteness of the Gardaí. They have/had a check point just outside the Muckross Gallery. It's like shooting fish in a barrel!

Both neighbours have left for the weekend to get away from it. The 'business' community say it's great for the economy of the town, but what about the non-profiting Killarney residents who have to get out of town for the weekend.

Good to hear, I saw two checkpoints today also and I wouldn't say shooting fish in a barrel as fish are intelligent compared to the knuckleheads that take over the town for the weekend. It is a bit like the 12th of July for Killarney the way people want to escape this blight on the town. Just finished packing for London in the morning! If I see another Honda or TwinCam in the next year it will be too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Stinicker wrote: »
    It is damaging to the rep of a beautiful town which attracts the upper and middle classes

It's Killarney, not Monaco.:P

Alcohol and food only. For the rest of us it is like a weekend in Feb:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thank you so much for that, i need it
    will be going on sunday
    and the weather looks very favourable, sunny all the way after 12 midday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Raven13

Here are the maps of all SS if you need it:
    http://bit.ly/d3qkjO

goat2 wrote: »
    i hate when people start whinging
    i live on a rally route and am glad to see it coming around, i am a private home also, dont make a penny from it, but there is money to be made, and a sport to light up peoples lives, in these bad times
    i dont begrudge any anything, so it is not nice to whinge that you do not make a penny, at least someone is, be glad

I'm assuming that the whinging is about the followers/fans rather than the actual participants. The managment of this element does get better every year, but it's not that hard to improve the situation from the riots on Beech road of around ten years ago.

Haha, it just started lashing rain.

It doesn't seem as busy this year as usual.

It is damaging to the rep of a beautiful town which attracts the upper and middle classes.

Oh pssh.

For many years it passed my front door but when you try to organise proper marshalling because some fu**er in a souped up corsa tried to do a doughnut in your driveway putting the lives of 2 young children in danger, then you get a little pissed off.

Then you get another little sh*t thinking that just because his/her mammy is not around they can use your garden a a toilet to the amusement of the watching hoard.

And the organisers still did not return phonecalls

It's one of the many facets of Killarney that helps to keep the town on the map. The end result of the filming of various parts of the rally is seen worldwide, through the internet and general tv coverage. This has a knock-on effect and promotes tourism for the rest of the year.

Without tourism, many places here are dead in the water, and to get tourism, the residents in tourist areas have to take the rough with the smooth. I'd have more sympathy for those living in the middle of Ballybunion, where they have to put up with a hell of a lot more racket and general disruption than the Killarney residents, and suffer the rowdy element for an awful lot longer period.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    This event is really damaging to Killarney and the reputation it has, luckily it is on during a quieter period for tourism. The Rally people themselves do a good job but have no control over the scum it attracts into the town.

Spot on, luckily I escape to London in the Morning but did not escape unaccosted today, I am glad I have good brakes in my car as I had to stick her to the road today on the way home from Macroom after some nop in a white integra overtook me straight into oncoming traffic, had I not been able to brake to make room for him there would have been a fatality. Ever year it is the same and I was talking to a few friends during the week and we have now labelled it the "Annual Killarney Chav Scummer Convention".

It is damaging to the rep of a beautiful town which attracts the upper and middle classes9 (what bulloney) and drive into any Killarney hotel carpark and you will see a selection of proper cars unlike the tincans these muppets drive in.

I wish Killarney would ban it as it is like being under siege every year.

i have been to monaco at least 5 times, there the residents do not look down on others, and there you will find the more upperclass, the prince of monoco attends, the place is shut down for three days, walking only, yaghts bigger than most houses, welcome for all of us mere mortals, food is as cheap as you would find other places, cheaper than this little country of ours, beer by the can on the stands for just 2 euro,
    but the best thing about the place
    there are no residents objecting to the noise or smoke and you should hear the noise up close out of formula one cars, ears ring for a week afterwards, to us taking up their space for 3 whole days, they welcome us

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

goat2 wrote: »
    [/SIZE][/B]

i have been to monaco at least 5 times, there the residents do not look down on others, and there you will find the more upperclass, the prince of monoco attends, the place is shut down for three days, walking only, yaghts bigger than most houses, welcome for all of us mere mortals, food is as cheap as you would find other places, cheaper than this little country of ours, beer by the can on the stands for just 2 euro,
    but the best thing about the place
    there are no residents objecting to the noise or smoke and you should hear the noise up close out of formula one cars, ears ring for a week afterwards, to us taking up their space for 3 whole days, they welcome us

this isnt monaco, its kerry, get used to it, i hate all rally followers, iv seen some of them park in front of people's driveways, if somone does that to me, i'll slash their tyres and key their car, iv done it several times.

Backfire wrote: »
    this isnt monaco, its kerry, get used to it, i hate all rally followers, iv seen some of them park in front of people's driveways, if somone does that to me, i'll slash their tyres and key their car, iv done it several times.

Have you got an extra sharp keyboard?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Have you got an extra sharp keyboard?:rolleyes:

torx screwdriver to release air from valve, hunting knife to cut flat tyre. the cutting part is not easy i admit but can be done with some force.
    obviously its not something you can do in a few minutes.

for what it is worth, i am from the country
    also i would not park blocking people off from the road
    as there could be an emergency at that persons home, someone needing a doctor in a hurry, or a fire at the house, some of us followers i would say most would or should keep this in mind when parking, i do not mind walking the extra half mile, as we should be glad we have the health do do so.
    anyway these events only go on few times in the year, not every day, so live and let live
    also damaging others property should not be done, this was a crime, bet you would not like if same were done to you,
    hope it catches up with you

Backfire wrote: »
    torx screwdriver to release air from valve, hunting knife to cut flat tyre. the cutting part is not easy i admit but can be done with some force.
    obviously its not something you can do in a few minutes.

You must have flunked tyre-slashing school.

goat2 - You'd be hard pressed to see aging boy racer cars doing doughnuts on the back roads of Monaco while wearing athletic/lounge wear.

Any incidents to report this year? I saw that the Muckross Park hotel was on camper van alert.

goat2 - You'd be hard pressed to see aging boy racer cars doing doughnuts on the back roads of Monano while wearing athletic/lounge wear.

Any incidents to report this year? I saw that the Muckross Park hotel was on camper van alert.

Is that anywhere near Monaco?:P

I wonder where all the trouble-makers mentioned in this report come from?
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

22 arrests in Killarney during bank holiday

Killarney Gardai have arrested 22 people so far this bank holiday weekend. The annual Rally of the Lakes is taking place in the town, attracting large crowds. The arrests were for public order offences, drink driving, theft, criminal damages and possession of drugs. 21 cars have been seized for a range of motoring offences. Five units of the traffic corps kept a presence around Glenflesk and the County Bounds last night to prevent boy racers from blocking sections of the road to do high-speed handbrake turns. However, Gardai say there has been no serious incident or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Just got back to Dublin today - we went to Killarney on Saturday. Hadn't been since I was a child. I had a lovely image of this quaint litttle town - totally shattered. Knacker central, bumper to bumper souped up subarus. The sound of the spoilers woke me up during the night numerous times. The pubs were packed and it seemed too dodgy to go out anyways. We had a room with view of the town from suite in the beautiful Fairview hotel. The view was not fair - it was just a view of the Gardaí arresting a bunch of loud mouth scumbags and sluts all night. Weekend was ruined. Luckily we got away on the Gap of Dunloe trip :)

Funny how this "event" was conveniently left out of the Kerry/ Killarney tourist websites I looked up before we booked :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just got back to Dublin today - we went to Killarney on Saturday. Hadn't been since I was a child. I had a lovely image of this quaint litttle town - totally shattered. Knacker central, bumper to bumper souped up subarus. The sound of the spoilers woke me up during the night numerous times. The pubs were packed and it seemed too dodgy to go out anyways. We had a room with view of the town from suite in the beautiful Fairview hotel. The view was not fair - it was just a view of the Gardaí arresting a bunch of loud mouth scumbags and sluts all night. Weekend was ruined. Luckily we got away on the Gap of Dunloe trip :)

Funny how this "event" was conveniently left out of the Kerry/ Killarney tourist websites I looked up before we booked :rolleyes:

Were they bashing each other over the head with them?

Advertisement