Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally of the lakes?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it was a bank holiday weekend
    every other town had its problem also
    i do think there is an element who have their little souped up cars huge ariels and double exhausts, making too much noise thinking they are in a rally, they do spoil the name
    as for this happening in monaco
    cars are not allowed in, just the teams ,
    the rest of us take trains taxis and buses, which keep it orderly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Were they bashing each other over the head with them?

Unfortunately not... :rolleyes: I meant the exhaust. Shows how much interest I have in their gammy heap of junk 80s looking Back to the Future cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unfortunately not... :rolleyes: I meant the exhaust. Shows how much interest I have in their gammy heap of junk 80s looking Back to the Future cars.

You can come back now, they've all gone home (some on foot after their cars got taken by the guards).:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

goat2 wrote: »
    [/SIZE][/B]

i have been to monaco at least 5 times, there the residents do not look down on others, and there you will find the more upperclass, the prince of monoco attends, the place is shut down for three days, walking only, yaghts bigger than most houses, welcome for all of us mere mortals, food is as cheap as you would find other places, cheaper than this little country of ours, beer by the can on the stands for just 2 euro,
    but the best thing about the place
    there are no residents objecting to the noise or smoke and you should hear the noise up close out of formula one cars, ears ring for a week afterwards, to us taking up their space for 3 whole days, they welcome us

You cannot seriously be comparing the Rally of the Lakes in Killarney with the Formula1 World Championship can you and Killarney to Monaco? lol :eek:

The F1 Championship is real motor racing with millions involved, Irish tarmac racing is nothing and is not real motorsport imo, amateurs with a 2nd mortgage and the aim seems to be who can get their car/can to make the most noise. The followers of this "great sport" are scumbags in general or else idiots and it attracts the worst sort of scummers always.

I attended a F1 race before and I can tell you that the people who follow F1 are serious into their sport and drive cars which would kill any subaru or mitsubishi. The food of F1 followers is lobster and champagne and tickets cost €300-€500 for a crappy view and if you want a half decent view you will shell out a grand a pop or more for the VIP package.

Killarney is no Monaco but it is stereotypical Ireland and as cherub rock wrote his weekend was ruined when people retreat to Killarney to get away from this sort of crap and the Rally of the lakes is not Kerry in general but leaves a sour taste in peoples mouths.

The behaviour there this weekend was appalling and from talking to influential people there will be massive pressure applied now to have it scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

I thought the rally was great and incredibly well run given the difficulty of controlling spectators along miles of closed off public roads. Any of the people suggesteing that fans of the rally are all scumbags clearly did not attend any of the stages. The fact is that the guys driving around in the boy racer cars generally do not even attend the rally, they congregate in the the town alright but have little or no interest in the racing.

I can understand why people get tired of the guys driving around their town all weekend long but I didn't see any great issues with them other than noisy exhausts etc.

I haven't watched any stages for years and I have to say that I was pleasantly surpirsed but there will be people whinging no matter what. I have no doubt that the majority of the B&B's, hotels etc were accommodating attendees of the rally or even the boy racers rather than these poor unforntunate (and in the current climate) non-existant tourists that some have mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Stinicker wrote: »
    You cannot seriously be comparing the Rally of the Lakes in Killarney with the Formula1 World Championship can you and Killarney to Monaco? lol :eek:

The F1 Championship is real motor racing with millions involved, Irish tarmac racing is nothing and is not real motorsport imo, amateurs with a 2nd mortgage and the aim seems to be who can get their car/can to make the most noise. The followers of this "great sport" are scumbags in general or else idiots and it attracts the worst sort of scummers always.

I attended a F1 race before and I can tell you that the people who follow F1 are serious into their sport and drive cars which would kill any subaru or mitsubishi. The food of F1 followers is lobster and champagne and tickets cost €300-€500 for a crappy view and if you want a half decent view you will shell out a grand a pop or more for the VIP package.

Killarney is no Monaco but it is stereotypical Ireland and as cherub rock wrote his weekend was ruined when people retreat to Killarney to get away from this sort of crap and the Rally of the lakes is not Kerry in general but leaves a sour taste in peoples mouths.

The behaviour there this weekend was appalling and from talking to influential people there will be massive pressure applied now to have it scrapped.
    i am yes comparing like with like, as they are both racing motors,
    i go to rallies leaving home at five in morning to attend and then leaving venue at about eight in the evening, going home peacefully like alot of others,
    but there is an element that go to where the rally is taking place generally staying in the town, not going out to where the stages to watch rally,
    these are young lads with lots of money to waste on souped up little cars with double noisy exhausts, i have seen them, they are not there for the rally at all, just hanging around, speeding, giving the whole thing a bad name.
    i know that 99 percent of those attending rallies are just like me, going there enjoying the event, and coming home good and tired from walking the stages, a find day to be had.
    i also go to gps and enjoy them, there also the bad element at these, as we are warned, there are professional pickpockets ready to part you from your money.
    camping out in the british gp there were a lot of raids made on tents while race was on one of the years i was there..that was about 12 yrs ago
    but now they man the parks so it is nice and secure

you are also warned by tour operators when staying in niece, going to the monaco gp, that to watch it in the back up at train stations where there are plenty there to releive you of your purse, no matter where you go there are always dangers,
    but once you reach monaco, you are very saft the amount of police, cameras and police dogs is a big deterrent for these.

Advertisement