Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with boss, what are my options??

Options
  • 18-04-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I work as a barman at the weekends in a pub in the city centre. There are a few managers in the place. The main overall boss is a manager that I get on well enough with and he has known me for years as I worked in other clubs that he was a manager in.

My problem is with a bar manager who treats me with disrespect. This bar manager is the one who I work with a lot and he does the roster etc. So I have to see him almost every night I work. The overall boss isn't always there as he also manages other clubs for the company.

So to the problem...

Well, the guy has taken to talking to me in a disrespectful tone and this was highlighted the other night when he told me in no uncertain terms to cut my hair. Now, my hair is not even 3 inches long and it was actually quadruple the length it is now when i worked in the other club that the overall boss was the manager of, so I know he would have no problem with my hair. However, my problem isn't the fact that he told me to cut my hair (which I find ridiculous), it is the way he did it. He didn't ask or even try to come to a compromise, he basically disrespected me in front of the other staff if you know what I mean.

Now, I have thought about it and whether I am over reacting. I didn't acknowledge him or answer him back when he said it as i didn't want to get into an argument. But I do think this is going to continue now. And my question is, does this guy have the right to tell me to cut my hair? I'm not sure if he does. I have to stress that my hair is curly but no more than 3 inches long and also that the overall manager had no problem with it being quadruple this length a few years back. Also, it's not that i am unwilling to cut it or compromise, but it's the issue of respect.

Now, I have thought about going to the overall boss, who I know for a fact dislikes this guy as I have seen him giving out to him on several occasions, and I know he likes me, but this guy could make my life very difficult if I did that, and could easily cut my hours. Also, in the grand scheme of things he is more valuable to the club than me. I'm almost sure the overall boss would tell him to lay off on me though. However, I think that the bar manager would then be on my case. I may have no choice though if he keeps up with the disrespect as I don't think he would be willing to talk to me in a civil way.

ANy thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Sounds like he is just throwing his weight around.
    Your contract propably only states in general terms about standards of appearance and doesn't go into what is any acceptable hair length.
    I'd check it though.

Advertisement