Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has had the biggest effect?

Options
  • 18-04-2010 10:47pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which band your opinion has been most influential on the metal scene (and I know its now a very wide scene)?
    Metallica?
    Diamond Head?
    Venom?
    Black Sabbath?
    Motorhead?
    Death?
    ACDC?
    Maiden?
    Someone else?

Without Venom and DH we possibly wouldn't have Metallica. Venom possibly were the originators of death metal with their black metal. Was the NWOBHM crucial for the direction the genre?
    Slayer were heavier than Metallica possibly being behind the start of heavier thrash.
    Did Possessed or Bathory start death metal or did Death start it properly?

Would we have even had any of it if it weren't for the likes of Sabbath, Motorhead and ACDC in the early 70s?

Is it something totally different such as a punk band that got the momentum going?
    Or was it that everything together just worked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Johann Sebastian Bach
    1685-1750.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I'd say Sabbath and Metallica.

When you listen to the bridge riff in the song Black Sabbath it sounds so modern and I think it was way ahead of it's time. A fantastic riff and solo.

And of course Metallica have probably spawned an unending list of bands since they began. They're a cornerstone band for most people getting into metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

-Black Sabbath
    -Led Zeppelin
    -Metallica

Pretty much the (Un)Holy Trinity right there, IMO. May not be the biggest fan of any of them, but in terms of just sheer number of kids they would have influenced to pick up a guitar, grow their hair long and buy a leather jacket, these three stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Honourable mentions!:

-AC/DC
    -Deep Purple
    -Iron Maiden
    -Judas Priest
    -Slayer
    -Motley Crue
    -Aerosmith
    -Queen
    -Van Halen
    -Guns N Roses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Black Sabbath and Deep Purple had a huge effect on early bands who went on to influence other bands that came later.

Interestingly, Black Sabbath's biggest influence was The Beatles.

With later bands, two of the biggest influences have to be Faith No More and Metallica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I would say Black Sabbath, then Metallica and Slayer for the generation after that (when black sabbath went through a bit of a downturn in the mid-late 80's)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I agree Max.

Slayer seemed to be the most popular and accessable metal band in mid-late 80s (not a fan myself at all, but undoubtedly an important band).

But 'tallica's broadening of metals appeal and consistent live show (and the fact that they tour a lot) has defo caused plenty to pick up a guitar and "up the distortion".

Apart from that, I still think a lot of people jump from liking Zeppelin to liking metal.

3DataModem wrote: »
    I agree Max.

Slayer seemed to be the most popular and accessable metal band in mid-late 80s (not a fan myself at all, but undoubtedly an important band).

But 'tallica's broadening of metals appeal and consistent live show (and the fact that they tour a lot) has defo caused plenty to pick up a guitar and "up the distortion".

Apart from that, I still think a lot of people jump from liking Zeppelin to liking metal.
    possibly a "gateway band" I agree, similar - IMHO - to guns n roses in the late 80s also

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd add Rush to that list myself

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Thin Lizzy deserve a defiinite mention for all the bands they influenced like Priest, Maiden, Metallica, G'N'R etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Sabbath for sure. Lets not forget the myriad punk bands that the young up an coming thrashers in the 80's listened to, to inspire them to play fast as f*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

Thin Lizzy deserve a defiinite mention for all the bands they influenced like Priest, Maiden, Metallica, G'N'R etc etc

As should the easily overlooked Hawkwind. 1960's rock originated from Delta & Chicago Blues players who heavily influenced the white kids who popularised their music. Black Sabbath started the whole evil aspect I would say. Motorhead (and others mentioned above) speeded the whole thing up. Although I'm not a fan, Judas Priest were probably the first true "metal" band who stopped playing blues riffs altogether. Don't forget about Les Paul and the many other technical innovators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Sabbath for me, and although not metal, Jimi Hendrix's influence to metal guitarists is probably up there with the rest of the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Considered one of the first proto-metal tracks:

Can never forget The Beatles! :D

Can never forget The Beatles! :D
    as ozzy/black sabbath often quote them as their major influences, they kinda are in the list by default :P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭HMD

I'd say sabbath aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'll throw Pantera into there.

Along with Exodus (the American one, not the Polish one).

And also Maiden, Priest, and Motorhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

when i was a kid i remember lots of dreadlocked vegans about the house w/ Venom tattoos. most of em dead now :( but i recall bands citing em too as their primary influence.

Advertisement