Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good MMORPG's

Options
  • 18-04-2010 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi
    I've played World of Warcraft for a long time, with all expansions, 2 lvl 80's, a lvl 75 and many more.... BUT! as you do, i got bored of the game. I also played Guild Wars (Nightfall+Factions) and have 2 guys lvl 20, but havnt played the game in ages.
    At the moment I am completely bored and really like the MMORPG games. I really couldnt be arsed playing WoW again, I'm thinking of playing GW again. Is there any other good games online similar, but differant (lol?) out there to play? Please explain what you can do ect. and if its worth playing. I dont mind paying for subscription, BUT, I cant use credit cards for it, so you will need to be able to buy the pre-paid cards in game stores and what not.
    Thanks, looking forward for some replys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

You'll get bored of every game eventually.

You should try out all the different types of MMOs and figure out more about yourself and what you like, then you can shorten the list of MMOs to look for.
    They're all good imo, but lots are the same, some are different etc
    They all share one thing in common... they COULD be epic. You will just need to try as many as you're able to, to figure out what you're really looking for in an MMO (if you dont allready know)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

If you like WoW type games there are a good few free ones out now a days. Dont ask me for the names :P

But imo they are all WoW clones.. I played WoW on and off for 2 years I dont see the point in playing the same type of game when the only thing thats different is the Graphics/Skins/Spells/Areas.

The only ones I can think of that are different...
    EvE Online(Calculator / spreadsheet wars)
    Darkfall(FPS, Good game... great potential... silly developers)
    Global Agenda(FPS, not really a MMO though, instanced based)

Then you have the never ending WoW clones thrown in a blender.
    Warhammer
    Age of Conan
    Aion
    Lord of the Rings

Anyway if you like the point - click - lvl up - gear up. Plenty of free ones out there ... why pay monthly for something thats the same but just has a little more polish ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    EvE Online(Calculator / spreadsheet wars)
    I hate it when people use this to describe Eve. Nevermind the unparralled PvP focus, the amazing economy, the player run wars (on a scale which no other MMO comes even close to), massive Alliances, corporate espionage, amazing graphics etc....

Eve is a fantastic game, which lets you do what you want. If you put it to its most basic level, every game is just a spreadsheet/calculator. If your looking for something completly different from the 100's of other MMO's out there, then you dont need to look any further. Yes its a hell of a learning curve, but thats half the fun. Stick with it and, imo, you can do more then any other MMO.

Unfortunatly, you can't get pre-paid time in shops, but you could always use a 3v card. Most MMO's have a free trial these days, so just give them a go and see what you like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Id suggest you give age of conan and lord of the rings online a go via their free trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Kiith wrote: »
    I hate it when people use this to describe Eve. Nevermind the unparralled PvP focus, the amazing economy, the player run wars (on a scale which no other MMO comes even close to), massive Alliances, corporate espionage, amazing graphics etc....

Eve is a fantastic game, which lets you do what you want. If you put it to its most basic level, every game is just a spreadsheet/calculator. If your looking for something completly different from the 100's of other MMO's out there, then you dont need to look any further. Yes its a hell of a learning curve, but thats half the fun. Stick with it and, imo, you can do more then any other MMO.

I get what your saying ! I tried to get into EvE TWICE for those reasons. But I have tasted what the PvP is like and it seems to .... disconnected for me.. "Ok Guyz warp to gate @ 10k ... ok try jam. **** he got away. ok scan...." Dunno doesnt appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Then you have the never ending WoW clones thrown in a blender.
    Warhammer
    Age of Conan
    Aion
    Lord of the Rings

I have to disagree with LotRO being a "WoW clone" - in fact they came up with a lot of things that were new to the MMO genre and WoW didn't have before ... WoW even copied some of the stuff from them lately ...

Anyways, it's a great MMO if you like Tolkien's world - been playing since the beginning and I love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I think the four games mentioned have enough originality to distinguish them from being wow clones.
    kickarykee wrote: »
    been playing since the beginning and I love it :)

Snowbourn? I may know you!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Lister1 wrote: »
    Snowbourn? I may know you!

Nope, Maiar - it's a German one, but I play with English settings ... works alright ^^
    I got a friend who's been there since the beta, so I chose that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

League of Legends is decidedly WoWish but I've been enjoying it. Was inspired by DotA but the gameplay is much better IMO. Check it out if you're looking for some free MMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

An f2p game to consider is Regnum Online.

Its not as big as the others, but its cross-platform (attracts a lot of Linux Gamers), and is an RvR game, with 3 realms fighting for control of Gems, which can only be gotten by invading enemy kingdoms, which requires a big army to do. It can take a while to get to level 50, which is the max level, and from level 40 onwards, it tends to be pure grind.

There is a premium Item mall, which enables you to buy things like mounts and Xp boosters (useful when grinding) using something called "Ximerin".

Its done by a company called NGD software, with a team of just 8 developers, in Argentina.

http://www.regnumonline.com.ar/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I'm playing Regnum Online at the moment, I like it, mostly because the player community is very friendly. Also, it's free, though you can pay for certain enhancements if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cfitz94

thanks for all the replys guys, ill probably giv eve a shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CelticDemon

if you were to hold out for a while.

APB - all points bulletin - cops vs robbers mmorpg in july
    www.apb.com

The Secret World(funcom) - its a horror mmorpg with zombies and creatures.
    TBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

try lineage 2 :) its good fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From my experience ( about 7 years playing mmo's) you will jsut come back to wow, if thats where your bulk of mmo life has been. There really isnt anything that gets that close to it , if you have got to 80 and raided. Theres no equivalant pve out there in any other mmo I've played, and with the new expansion coming up I'm pretty sure it will drag everyone back who left due to boredom.

Not to sound arseholy, but if wasted alot of money going on the recommendations of "good" mmos from people here. Aion, Warhammer, AoC, LOTRO, champions online all these sorts all got my money and I dont think they got a month sub out of me I'd so quickly established how poor they were.

From experience, from a host of friends and from a pretty active forum creeping career of all things mmo, if you have played msotly wow, and your leaving wow, you wont really find another mmo to suit your needs, and youll jsut come back.

I'd advise a break from the genre compeltely .

Failing that, Age of Conan is "ok". By no means as great as its being amde out to be, but its a decent shout, and lord of the rings is gonig free later this year, but for a game thats pure pve, its pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm currently in Limbo when it comes to online gaming.
    Have barely logged in online for a few weeks and it feels good and like a welcome break from the duties of raiding 4-5 days a week for 4 hours per night.

I want to stop totally but there is something about pouring 3 years of your life into perfecting a character that makes
    walking away from it totally a very difficult thing to do.
    (Which I guess with these games is a deliberate thing)

Been playing LOTRO since the beginning and up until
    a month or two ago perfectly happy with it for the last 3 years, did not get sick of the game, got more sick of raiding the same content over and over again without more frequent updates.

Got to say out of all my experiances LOTRO has come tops for me! I knew the movie,
    I knew the books,
    I knew the characters and bad guys
    so it was great to see an online version
    of basically the book and the movie where you could walk about the make believe world.

With other MMORPG's you cant say the same thing as there
    are no movies and probably no Novels/Books in existance before the mmorpg existed.

Played Guild Wars soloing only and for someone that loves
    a never ending solo game it was great for me so I could hire henchmen etc and partisipate in the game on my own.
    There was something about the story and the characters though that did not click with me.

Aion was nice but very grindy I gave up as they did not sort
    issues out at the time I was playing where the client crashed
    once there were lots of players in the same area. TOOOOOoooooo Grindy.

Star Trek online I bought a lifetime account as thought it was super the first week but after a week of play I got so bored I never logged back in.

Bad company 2, I initially loved but its a shoot em up rather than an RPG got bored of that after a few weeks
    but dabble from time to time. I thought it would be a great change for me since you could log in shoot people
    not worry about character development and log out again.
    But after a few friends and workmates started playing it became a stat race so could not be arsed trying to keep up.

Dungeons and dragones even though they had lots of instances got real boring after a few days.

I've never tried WOW and never want to. Out of all MMORPG's this was the one where the graphics and characters put me off from day1 and my mind has never been changed. Most games for me are not about graphics being someone into turn based strat games but WOW grapichs I HATED for some reason, reminded me of Pokemon cartoon like stuff.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 19 grafter12

I have been playing Warrior Epic and Mytheon on and off for a while now and think they are pretty good, and they are free to play..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Personally I am the exact same as the OP. I have grown bored with wow and am looking for something different. Am interested in trying Lotro but I don't know if my laptop will run it. It cant run wow at anything more than half settings even then it struggles on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Try some demos, but WoW is probably one of the lesser graphically intensive games, so if you are having problems running that don't be expecting to run AoC, EvE, LOTRO, WAR, etc

Again, look for stuff with demos and give them a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

I've been playing DOMO http://domo.aeriagames.com/ it's an anime mmo. It's cartoonish and rather cutesy but I found the same qualities to WoW, so you may like it. Cheers! icy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I still haven't found a game that compares to WoW.. I tried Guild Wars, LotR and heard awful things about Age of Conan so I kept going back to WoW. Warhammer just didn't interest me enough. I did start playing League of Legends though which I love, it's so basic but addictive!
    http://eu.apb.com/en Looks very interesting though, hope I can get my lappy sorted soon enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 StarShineX

I play quite a few f2p mmorpgs all are pretty good to.

Jade Dynasty
    Battle of the immortals
    12 sky 2
    Shaiya
    Perfect World International

thats all ill name for now cause ill end up sounding like a mega nerd if i say anymore lmao!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Sparkyd2002

Never been a lover of rpg games but was a fan of lord of the rings so signed up for a trial when it first came out.Got hooked and still am. They really have improved the game so much over the last 3 years with plenty of free update content and 2 addons. What I like about it is the graphics and the mainly mature players.If you get in a decent Kin the experience is great as you can play with decent mature people and even make a few friends.Its got a great crafting experience and allows you to level weapons as well as your character.Instances and raids are good fun. I'm never stuck for people to help! If you are considering a mmorpg and want to try a good one try Lotro .Its going free to air up to level 50 soon so its worth a punt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Kiith wrote: »
    Eve is a fantastic game... Yes its a hell of a learning curve, but thats half the fun.

... and if "half the fun" is a massive pain in the arse, just imagine 'the whole fun'! ;)

Advertisement