Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloody potholes!!!!

Options
  • 18-04-2010 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Now this might have been done already on here but not since ive joined so here goes....

Since a few weeks before christmas potholes appeared on my road, i didnt mind much at first but then when the snow/ice went away (the first spell of it) the potholes got much worse, so we decided to phone the council got the reply that every road in the county needs potholes fixed and they would get fixed eventully.

Since then the road got gradully worse, to the extent of busting 2 of the €350 alloys on my car one day after we came back from a weeks holidays (we weren't expecting the potholes to be that bad in 9 days).

Now the woman in the council laughed at me and sent me a claim form and short of wishing me luck told me to photograph said potholes (see below) and fill out a form she sent and make a claim, but the chances of getting paid were slim and none.

These potholes strech for about 3/4's of a mile and its the only way into out of our house (the other way is flooded, getting fixed tommorow suppossedly) i have phoned this woman in the council office , roads dept every week asking when they are going to be fixed, since we bust our wheels (middle of feb) and still nothing...

Is there anything else i can do about this because i keep getting told that there are roads worse than ours / we dont have the funds ATM, i sick to death of hearing the bottom of my car bottom out on the 3/4 mile strech every time i leave home, anyone any ideas?????

P.S. sorry for the long post needed to vent:P and these photos were taken mid Feb and have gotton worse since..

IMG_0951.JPGIMG_0956.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is the Boards equivalent of the Shaun Doherty show :D

Nah, seriously though did you make the claim yet and are you aware if the potholes were there previously and filled at some earlier date?

The council are insured but they dont promote this fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ah i know im in an awfull moaning mood this last while it was suggested to me today to phone the woman in the council office and let rip, but i know it isnt her fault so no point in doing that, so i'll just let rip on here instead...well that and try and figure out what else i can do.

I only moved in here in june last year but my neigbhor's did tell me that they were filled in before but a long time ago, yeah i sent in my claim form pretty much the day after i got it, received no word since. interesting that they have insurance for these things, i just want a pothole free road TBH, is that not what we pay road tax for (all €150 euro of it, lol)

it was suggested to me today to phone the woman in the council office and let rip, but i know it isnt her fault so no point in doing that,
    Trust me its much better to bull**** her by telling her how helpful she is etc etc and would she mind if you asked for her in the event that you had to call again. Normally more beneficial.

I worked (dont tell anyone) for that firm for a good few years and have a good idea how things pan out when the nice or irate public phone in.

In saying that I suppose I should start practicing what I preach :(

(all €150 euro of it, lol)
    I just pay 4 times that :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Havent you heard Minister Dempseys response to the pothole problem?? On Matt Coopers show he informed us all that if we drive slow enough through these potholes that no problem should exist.:DUnbelievable but true.Sometimes I despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Don't get me started on this subject I have the misfortune of having an old road leading to my house which the council claim is not on their records despite the fact they tarred in 6 years ago when the house was on the market (it's a right away and our house is just off it and it it is on all the old maps of the area but no good talking) now why would they tar a road that wasn't theirs like the above poster I ruined my last car and it's not helping this one.

But I know I will have to keep sorting this myself by filling the holes up as like others have to do and I could tell you some unbelievable story's, but as I'm not singing from the same sheet that get things like this done I have to plog along and a few of you will cop this one, I haven't a road/lane looked after by the council or a ESB street light or lights guiding me home but I will never sink so low as to lick arses to get this done I pay and have paid my taxes since I got my first job at 15 so we should all be treated the same!!! Rant over, at times I wonder why I moved back to Donegal as the corruption is unbelievable and Christ folks you dont know the half of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Don't know if this helps but if enough people use it, it might.

http://www.potholes.ie/reported-potholes.html

About making a claim.

http://www.potholes.ie/claiming.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There was a well advertised public meeting in Lifford one night last week about the state of the Cavan Hill road and on the day of the meeting, you'll never guess what happened?

Yes, the council showed up and started filling the pot holes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carrickman wrote: »
    Don't get me started on this subject I have the misfortune of having an old road leading to my house which the council claim is not on their records despite the fact they tarred in 6 years ago when the house was on the market (it's a right away and our house is just off it and it it is on all the old maps of the area but no good talking) now why would they tar a road that wasn't theirs like the above poster I ruined my last car and it's not helping this one.

But I know I will have to keep sorting this myself by filling the holes up as like others have to do and I could tell you some unbelievable story's, but as I'm not singing from the same sheet that get things like this done I have to plog along and a few of you will cop this one, I haven't a road/lane looked after by the council or a ESB street light or lights guiding me home but I will never sink so low as to lick arses to get this done I pay and have paid my taxes since I got my first job at 15 so we should all be treated the same!!! Rant over, at times I wonder why I moved back to Donegal as the corruption is unbelievable and Christ folks you dont know the half of it!

Carrickman; we had the same problem with a mile long road that was on all the maps but that the council claimed was not theirs.

It was so deeply rutted you had to drive atop the ruts or risk getting stuck in them.

The engineer came and went etc.

I am registered disabled; maybe it was partly that; I will never know. But I wrote to the council asking them what would happen if an ambulance was unable to safely negoatiate the road; that they were liable then. I asked
    them to check that with HSE and the local dr.

I also pointed out that there was a lived in house there now and the only access was that lane.

ie I was a resident and had rights.

Next thing I know, the road is fixed... Took them a week and more.... Tarmacced etc and well done.

As you are a tax payer you are in an even better situation than I was.

Check what rights there are of emergency access? That seems to be the button to press?

I did get very... definite; said something re if they had to get a helicopter in if an ambulance could not manage the road safely with a very sick person; and that I hoped they had good third party insurance.....as they would be sued in a case like that.... Not going to crawl to them!

Well isnt boards great......

When i went to go into the town earlier on 100 yards down the road from my house i was confronted by a No-Overtaking sign, then after i managed to drive around the corner, i almost had to stop becuase i was laughing that much at a no overtaking sign on a road that is only just wide enough for the bin lorry to get up, the council were fixing the potholes they were only filling them in mind you but at least there are no more moon craters on the way into / out of my house!!!

P.S. i ratreact all statements i made about the council being useless ect, i now think they are a wonderfull group of people who do a fantastic job flawlessly and i love them to bits :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

smashey wrote: »
    There was a well advertised public meeting in Lifford one night last week about the state of the Cavan Hill road and on the day of the meeting, you'll never guess what happened?

Yes, the council showed up and started filling the pot holes. :rolleyes:

And then stopped half way down and haven't been back since :rolleyes: As for the 'filling' they put in ... any bets on how long it will last? Still, small mercies and all that ... :)

• Advertisement

that is a terrible attempt at trolling , whereas this post is a great attempt at it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nowontheutv

theres a plothole in this story of potholes. a bit of deus ex machina, kitchen style

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

theres a plothole in this story of potholes. a bit of deus ex machina, kitchen style
    Dude, you really need to get a life.

Banned.

smashey wrote: »
    Dude, you really need to get a life.

Banned.
    Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

The potholes up my lane are shocking, they just grew over winter! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gfitz

Hi Red herring,

I know it may not be a huge help, but here's a website where you can report the potholes on www.pothole.ie?

They're doing a big campaign against the councils to sort out the roads.

gfitz wrote: »
    Hi Red herring,

I know it may not be a huge help, but here's a website where you can report the potholes on www.pothole.ie?

They're doing a big campaign against the councils to sort out the roads.

If you'd read the thread, you would have noticed that I already posted that link (except that I gave the real address www.potholes.ie )

deman wrote: »
    If you'd read the thread, you would have noticed that I already posted that link (except that I gave the real address www.potholes.ie )

Hi Deman, sorry, will read through all of the thread next time and thanks for the correction on the typo, my bad :). I normally give out to idiots who mispell a web address, especially when they're telling somebody to go visit it! Cheers.

gfitz wrote: »
    Hi Deman, sorry, will read through all of the thread next time and thanks for the correction on the typo, my bad :). I normally give out to idiots who mispell a web address, especially when they're telling somebody to go visit it! Cheers.

Don't worry about it. Sorry if I sounded a bit short and snappy earlier.

BTW, it's MISSPELL.

:P

Back to that aforementioned website. Have many people here actually used it to report potholes?

Hi deman,

Don't worry about it. I've come across snappy people. I've learned to take most comments online with a pinch of salt.

As for the website, I have used it a few times. I've reported about 9 potholes and within the last 2 weeks, 3 of them have been repaired. 2 were pretty good jobs, the other one was a waste of time, definitely a "You won't find Pride here" job!!!! :mad: Why bother doing a crap job like that???

Anyone else report a pothole on www.potholes.ie (see deman, I was listening (well, reading! :D).

• Advertisement
Advertisement