Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget aftercare

Options
  • 19-04-2010 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

I know it sounds stupid but spent all my money on a new tattoo....forgot about the aftercare stuff and am not getting paid until Tues :P

Only got it yesterday and at the moment I have removed the bandage and have started using cling film & moisteriser, is this a bad idea? I literally have very little options until 12pm Tues night :(

Any advice welcome!
    Thanks in advance,
    Shanley.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

That's all I ever used to be honest mate, and mine all turned out fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Thanks for the quick reply, relief before I go to bed! :P Quick question, should I continue to use the cling film?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

keep using cling film im not sure about putting moisturiser on what is effectively an open wound its not sterile or anything

it will probably be ok but you might be better off just washing it with the hot water they reccomend and using cling film and getting a lend of moeny for bepanthen tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Get rid of the cling film, I wore it for 3 days after getting my first tattoo, its very seriously ill-advised.. nothin bad came of me wearin it for that long though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I took the cling film off after a few hours after getting my first one and its grand. Didnt use cling film at all for the second one and its grand aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cling film should only be used when you think the tattoo is at risk if getting irritated by your clothing or the environment you are in (dusty or if people are sick etc...)

Cling film can cause problems if you use it too long, because it makes it very easy for bacteria to breed by keeping the area warm and damp.

The only things you need for your aftercare really are anti bacterial liquid soap like sanex and bepanthen (nappy rash cream!). These should only cost a few euro, so shouldn't sting the pocket too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Do whatever your tattooist told you to do with the cling film,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Who is telling people to keep cling film on their tattoos?
    Its a terrible idea and will affect the tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭littleman

In all my tattoos,ive only left cling film on for a couple of hours,after that i just let it breath so it can heal better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Melion wrote: »
    Who is telling people to keep cling film on their tattoos?
    Its a terrible idea and will affect the tattoo.

all but one shop i have ever been to said keep the cling film for a day or two, changing it and washing the tattoo obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

all but one shop i have ever been to said keep the cling film for a day or two, changing it and washing the tattoo obviously...

I've always been told to keep it on for 3 hours, then remove, wash and apply cream (bepanthen usually or prep h or savlon). Only cover if it's going to rub. It's important to let it breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

peoples and artists ideas for aftercare vary from artist to artist and over the years have caused a little confusion,

1. keep it clean
    2. keep it moist
    3. dont pick it
    3. dont scratch it
    4. dont scratch it

creams and so on vary i find bepthean(sp) very good

Has anyone had a bad experience with 'tattoo goo'?

I had terrible trouble with it. It took 2 weeks to heal and it scabbed heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

2 weeks to heal? That's not bad at all, but I doubt that it was anywhere near healed properly that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I used tattoo goo for my first, still have it in the bottom drawer ready for my new one tomorrow. Because I used it on my first, I wouldnt know what was the norm if ya get me? I remember it being horribly itchy but only flaked a little (it was 90% linework though) so what I expected was what I got.. no complaints from me.

except maybe the price.. €8 for a little tub.. ya can fúck right off I wont be fallin for that again.

2 weeks to heal? That's not bad at all, but I doubt that it was anywhere near healed properly that quickly.

Sorry, it wasn't fully healed....it was 2 weeks for the scabbing to go and it was itchy as fxxk. The scabs were dry and sore. The scarring will never fully go.

Bepanthen is great imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The chaps that done my first one said bepanthen is the best and to stayu away from prep h cos its to strong or something like that.

Advertisement