Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding an access point to wireless network

Options
  • 19-04-2010 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have your normal run of the mill router and I was wondering how I would go about adding another access point to the network. My bedroom is just that bit far away and it would be great to have a good signal!
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Hi,
    I have your normal run of the mill router and I was wondering how I would go about adding another access point to the network. My bedroom is just that bit far away and it would be great to have a good signal!
    Any help is greatly appreciated!
    you rich fecker id love to have a house that big :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

digme wrote: »
    you rich fecker id love to have a house that big :D

I have a similar problem in a 1 bed, I genuinely think the bathroom has lead walls!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

An access point would need a cat5 cable connecting it to a port on the main router

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    An access point would need a cat5 cable connecting it to a port on the main router

An access point wouldn't, Any device that can be connected using a network cable can be made wireless by a WAP. Maybe to get better signal you would need tso run a cat5 to the main router.

I have 2 of these and work great when setup, I recommend them but maybe will not provide better signal:

http://www.svp.co.uk/technology/networking/networking-wireless/wireless-access-points/tp-link-tl-wa501g-54mbps-wireless-access-point-mte031_54-mbps-wireless-network-access-point.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Eh, no, then it becomes a repeater. An access point is usually connected to a router or modem by a cable. Now for the wireless repeater, it is a simple signal booster like a range extender. The difference being, the repeater cuts your speed in half while the access point won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

You could try something like this:

http://www.clickmeit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/network_power_line.jpg

One of them plugs into the wall beside your router and connects to a LAN port on the router with a network cable.

The other plugs into the wall in your bedroom and connects to your PC/laptop via another network cable.

Network signal is then transmitted through your electricty wiring. Don't know how it's done, but is probably encoding/decoding of a single signal or something. Generally they work pretty well but dont expect blistering speed!

Advertisement