Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Marie Celeste?

• 19-04-2010 6:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Thoughts? All theories welcome.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I thought it was strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Normally I'm a fan of brevity. However, this is taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

yes plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Well I don't know about the Marie Celeste but the Mary Celeste sure is a mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Abandoned due to risk of explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Abandoned due to risk of explosion.
    could well be because the cargo was strong alcohol,but i believe that as the ship was sailing off gibraltar and blood stains were found on the deck and on the ships rail and on a weapon that was found,it had been taken by a slaver,remember woman and children may also have been on board,and arabic slavers were still active

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well I don't know about the Marie Celeste but the Mary Celeste sure is a mystery.

always thought it was called the Marie Celest meself, but Shur, still an odd one, lots of odd variables do ya believe the sailors that found it, if so then WTF, and its not teh only 'tale' of that kind.

getz wrote: »
    could well be because the cargo was strong alcohol,but i believe that as the ship was sailing off gibraltar and blood stains were found on the deck and on the ships rail and on a weapon that was found,it had been taken by a slaver,remember woman and children may also have been on board,and arabic slavers were still active

But all personal belongings where still on the ship, as was the cargo.

Everything was accounted for excpet 9 empty barrles of Pure Alcohol and the life boat.

But all personal belongings where still on the ship, as was the cargo.

Everything was accounted for excpet 9 empty barrles of Pure Alcohol and the life boat.
    arabic [muslim slavers ]would not have any use for alcolhol and by leaving personal belongings on the ship would not point the finger of blame on them ,

I'm gonna go off and regoogle this but I was fairly sure the ledgend was that when the salvage team came across the marie celeste it had all its cargo and Lifeboats, but the crew had seemingly vanished mid task so to speak, bits about meals half eaten and sails half rigged etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I'm gonna go off and regoogle this but I was fairly sure the ledgend was that when the salvage team came across the marie celeste it had all its cargo and Lifeboats, but the crew had seemingly vanished mid task so to speak, bits about meals half eaten and sails half rigged etc

Thats my recollection of it aswell. Looked like they vanished without trace.

arabic [muslim slavers ]would not have any use for alcolhol and by leaving personal belongings on the ship would not point the finger of blame on them ,

How would taking anything not point the finger at them?

There was 6 months of food onboard also. Wouldnt of been easier to just sink the boat. There was 1790 Barrels of Pure Alcohol on board (not the drinking kind) all but 9 of them where in White Oak castes.

Can you also show me where it says there was blood found on the deck?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I looked this up a few weeks ago, and the half eaten dinners thing was added later to the legend after a fiction book of some sort was written.

Blood may also have been rust they were saying. Some water in hold, but not enough to sink or abandon ship.

Ship could even have rolled perhaps, or maybe abandoned over worries of explosion. There was a frayed end of a rope hanging off the rear of the ship, and a missing life boat I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Get a hold of this book, as it has one of the most logical explanations I have ever read

The Sea Hunters II: Diving the World's Seas for Famous Shipwrecks

Lifeboats where taken, the most workable theory is that 9 Red Oak casks which contained Pure Alcohol began to leak, this ethanol had a flash point of 13°C so the Captain who had his family aboard and who had never transported good this dangerous before decided to abandon ship for fear of it exploding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No the life boat was missing and all the cargo was in place except for 9 empty barrels of alcohol. The half eaten meals etc. was added later to embellish the story. There were 10 people on board when she set sail; 7 crew, the captain and his wife and daughter. It is likely that some incident on board (perhaps an incident with the alcohol or a freak wave) prompted the captain to order everyone into the lifeboat. A frayed rope was found tied to the Mary Celeste in the water behind the ship. It seems the life boat was tied to the ship by this rope but it broke loose at some point setting the lifeboat and it's occupants adrift, lost forever.

It is reasonable to assume that having his wife and daughter on board caused the captain to over react to whatever incident occurred and get everyone off the ship into the lifeboat.

so did the Captain chuck the Alcohol and THEN abandon ship, or did the others find the Not exploding Alcohol but just lob it overboard anyway????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Mary Celeste 1872 carried a cargo of alcohol.

It was abandoned, as described above due to an ethanol explosion, and the standard procedure was to abandon ship … but in this case the tether to the lifeboats was lost ~ either never tied off [unlikely] as they always towed at least one boat, broke or was cut .. there is still enough mystery and the crew being taken captive from their lifeboats is very plausible.

How would taking anything not point the finger at them?

There was 6 months of food onboard also. Wouldnt of been easier to just sink the boat. There was 1790 Barrels of Pure Alcohol on board (not the drinking kind) all but 9 of them where in White Oak castes.

Can you also show me where it says there was blood found on the deck?
    this is the website that covers most of the different ideas.www.maryceleste.net,

so did the Captain chuck the Alcohol and THEN abandon ship, or did the others find the Not exploding Alcohol but just lob it overboard anyway????????

It was loaded with 1780 odd barrles of the stuff, and the and with a flash point of 13 c you could nearly set it off by rubbing pennys together.

• Advertisement

right, I's feeelin lazy, got some links to back up yer statement??????

Getz link covers most of the stuff, along with alternative theory's to what happened.

The explosion theory might not be the correct one, but i cant see how it was slave traders as there was 9 people on that boat and you would think there would be a trace of at least 1 of them.
    this is the website that covers most of the different ideas.www.maryceleste.net,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

If its the 13C flashpoint, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol. It has it under the hazards section on the description sidebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

I thought that the Marie Celeste was one of the great paranormal mysteries.
    I like the idea that it somehow strayed into a different dimension of reality, and only their ghosts remained, invisible to most humans.

Cargo was loaded by hand, this is 'NEW' information to the tale so pardon me for being sceptical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

The alcohol explosion theory makes even more sense when you consider that Mary Celeste is an anagram for....

...My Secret Ale!! :eek::eek::D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Personally I think the most likely explanation is the alcohol explosion, I read that the containers of alcohol that were empty were a different colour/wood/chemicals and apparently there were science experiments carried out to prove this theory about the exploding alcohol and the 9 empty containers left. Wikipedia has some interesting stuff on it.. but its always interesting to hear different peoples theories and ideas. :)
    A freak wave (not tsunami) was also suggested. Its interesting there are no signs of struggle aboard the ship that would have ensued had there been pirates, traders, etc.. the ship that discovered the mary/marie celeste was captained by a good friend of the mary/marie celestes captain, slightly odd. Also think I read something about the ships log not being all there or something like that.
    Another theory I heard was that the crew were driven to lunacy after a fungus found in rye bread poisoned their minds to insanity.
    I reckon the raw alcohol seems the most likely theory but don't know enough about it to say tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a fair old list of missing vessels and a few found in good order with no crew. The sea can be a mysterious place. Probably prosaic answers in most cases, but make for great stories.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement