Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update on replica legality

Options
  • 19-04-2010 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know this is probably not the proper place to ask about this, but i cant find any info about it since 2005. Just wondering if buying and owning replica rifles is still legal in Ireland?

I am looking to purchase a WW2 era M1 Garand replica rifle to display in my home and just wondering if anyone knew if there were any recent law changes to prevent such things being brought into the country.

The rifle is coming from either France or the UK so not from America.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

chupacabra wrote: »
    Hi,

I know this is probably not the proper place to ask about this, but i cant find any info about it since 2005. Just wondering if buying and owning replica rifles is still legal in Ireland?

I am looking to purchase a WW2 era M1 Garand replica rifle to display in my home and just wondering if anyone knew if there were any recent law changes to prevent such things being brought into the country.

The rifle is coming from either France or the UK so not from America.

Thanks for your help
    this certainly is the right place to ask as a gun/shooting/hunting forum.
    new laws brought in last year do allow you to own such a item but you need to have written permission from your local super,there is no licence fee but you just need a good reason to own it.
    historical collectors item is a good reason.
    basically any type of replica or deactivated firearm can be owned with the supers permission,,only pre cartridge firearms do not need permission,,what thats means is old flintlocks and muskets.
    if you want to avoid the hassle you could get on of those airsoft guns,some of which are metal and look exactly like the real thing,you can get the garand or german mp40 or american thompson in these airsoft guns and they do not require a licence or permission to own one as long as its power is below one jouile.
    as far as i am aware this is the case but if not someone else here can put you straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i have seen replica thomsons , garands and lee enfield smle's for sale very openly around dublin city centre, the quality doesn't look very good but they are only wallhangers after all. i was wondering what the legal position was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

rowa wrote: »
    i have seen replica thomsons , garands and lee enfield smle's for sale very openly around dublin city centre, the quality doesn't look very good but they are only wallhangers after all. i was wondering what the legal position was too.
    some of these are only plastic but i have seen them advertised on main irish airsoft website as full metal replicas and supposed to be fairly good.
    if the ones you seen in dublin are airsoft then no licence or permission is needed.
    just be careful if you buy one because if you display one of these in public you will be in serious trouble,,other than that you will be fine to own them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

daveob007 wrote: »
    some of these are only plastic but i have seen them advertised on main irish airsoft website as full metal replicas and supposed to be fairly good.
    if the ones you seen in dublin are airsoft then no licence or permission is needed.
    just be careful if you buy one because if you display one of these in public you will be in serious trouble,,other than that you will be fine to own them.

no, actually dave they are replicas and not airsoft, i have asked , they do a m1 garand and lee enfield smle , as well as luger and 1911 pistols.
    i don't think they are any quality but fine as wallhangers.

Advertisement