Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking Oil

• 19-04-2010 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I recently power hosed my garden decking and put on a sadolin natural stain which has come up quite nicely. However, it has quite a dull finish - so my question is whether decking oil gives a "wet look" finish to the wood or can anyone recommend any other product to use to give this finish?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

If you want good value decking oil they had oil in aldi a few days ago. may be some left in ur local store. 1 litre for €5. i used some yesterday for inside the house and its decent enough. great value at that for decking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 drico1

Thanks for the response - what is the finish like - does it give it a sheen or does it make any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

i used it on solid beech shelving in bathroom.
    it gives the wood a nice wet lustre, if that makes sense.
    they had 3 shades depending on the timber, light/med & dark.

It is a lovely finish and the thing i like about as opposed to varnish etcis that its effectively oil with some wax that you keep adding to the timber in coats as it soaks in. next year prob just a light sanding if any and add more.
    It doesn't seal the wood like varnish so you just keep lashing it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you have put a water based stain on your deck you're wasting your time putting an oil base product over it. It amazes me why so many people think water based products on wood will protect it. For outdoor it has to be oil based on wood.
    Check the stain you put on for voc content and hopefully its oil based

Advertisement