Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 grand to spend - small compact

• 19-04-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

I've about 5 grand to spend on a small car, similar to a Panda or a Colt... or something in that vein.
    Looking for advice on a good buy and anyone know of any good bargains, I'd preferably like to haggle the cost down too, don't have to spend the whole 5...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Yeh, that would be the type we're looking for but as we're just winding down a Panda we would rather get something other than a Fiat.

Ok, the missus has found a car she likes a Mistubish Colt, 06 for just over 5 grand?

Any comment and if I ring in with on offer would €4250 be a good starting point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Noffles wrote: »
    Ok, the missus has found a car she likes a Mistubish Colt, 06 for just over 5 grand?

Any comment and if I ring in with on offer would €4250 be a good starting point?
    why would you ring?
    Make sure and go face to face, and check out the car in person thoroughly. 4250 would be a good start, depending of NCT (though it shouldnt really matter on an 06 it is relevant) and general car condition expect to pay 4.5k-4.75k.

edit: isnt the colt one of the honda civic line of boyracer cars that get automatic higher insurance premiums?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    why would you ring?
    Make sure and go face to face, and check out the car in person thoroughly. 4250 would be a good start, depending of NCT (though it shouldnt really matter on an 06 it is relevant) and general car condition expect to pay 4.5k-4.75k.

edit: isnt the colt one of the honda civic line of boyracer cars that get automatic higher insurance premiums?

We were up looking at it on the weekend, had a sit in it and stuff, so she knows what it's like etc... I really don't want to pay the full whack of 5 for it!

Not sure about the higher insurance though?

• Advertisement

Ok, so I offered 4500 for the car and they have said they won't take any offers on this particular car.... should I keep looking or bite the bullet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Make sure you get a good warranty, Those Colts can give gearbox trouble at low mileages (majority replaced on manufacturers 3 yr warranty) so get at least 6 months and check service history.

I called them this afternoon and they said that the Colt has gone... but were a little vague... So I called them again about 20 minutes ago and asked whether it was still there. The gist of it is, there have offers put on the car and 2 people have tried to get finance approval, the usual checks are being done. He said that if I can get in tomorrow before the finance company gets back the them with approval or decline I can have the car...
    Seems a bit ****ty really but may possibly go for it, they also said there is no warranty as it is on a sale price and will only of had a 3 month warranty if it was at full price....

Comments?

thats a load of rubbish. no point in paying dealer price if you don't get a warranty. run away. quite fast.

definitely worth a look

07 Daihatsu Sirion 1.0 5dr for 5950
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Daihatsu/Sirion/1.0L-PRI/201008197013131/advert?channel=CARS

shares a lot with the Toyota Yaris and a very underrated dependable car.

no-image-large.gif

• Advertisement

also this high spec 06 Clio for 5950

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Clio/CLIO2-2-/200950196165743/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

Clio a good car, and was around for 8 years by 2006 so what few faults it had were ironed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With a bit of hard bargining you could probably buy this close to €5k. Comes with a few months tax and almost 2 years NCT:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201013197415445

bazz26 wrote: »
    With a bit of hard bargining you could probably buy this close to €5k. Comes with a few months tax and almost 2 years NCT:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201013197415445

Hey, we've seen this car, what are they like? It's in great nick and would be perfect as it's just down the road...?

Hey, we've seen this car, what are they like? It's in great nick and would be perfect as it's just down the road...?

Great little car, they actually have a big car feel and look about them on the inside. I also heard of no nightmare stories with them either. I reckon they are a sound purchase.

Great little car, they actually have a big car feel and look about them on the inside. I also heard of no nightmare stories with them either. I reckon they are a sound purchase.

This car has 55,000 on the clock, is this not a little high to be spending 5 grand on though?

This car has 55,000 on the clock, is this not a little high to be spending 5 grand on though?

The car is 4 years old which means it has done around 14k per year, that is just above average for the year. Nothing to worry about imo, just make sure that it has a service history and don't be afraid to ring the garages that serviced it.

I would judge a car more on it's current condition and how it was maintained than what the odometer reads to be honest. Mileage is not an accurate indication of use or wear.

There seem to be an awful lot of the new shaped Fiat Punto's in this price range, is there a reason for this, the missus has pointd this out and seems to be drifting towards one...

Can I get some reasons why they are cheap...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'm not sure if it'd be within your budget but if you could get the DDIS swift 1.3 litre desiel turbo - that's the one to go for, lots of fun - torquey and nippy drive at the same time, and like 104 tax a year.

There seem to be an awful lot of the new shaped Fiat Punto's in this price range, is there a reason for this, the missus has pointd this out and seems to be drifting towards one...

Can I get some reasons why they are cheap...?

Fiat's reputation in Ireland is not great hence the poor resale value. The previous Punto was bought in large numbers under the first scrapage scheme. The thing is they were bought on shoe string budgets and most were never maintained properly which resulted in lots of problems, these problems then became common talk down the pub of the brand in general whether the car gave trouble or not. The irony is that the Grande Punto shares alot with the current Opel Corsa yet folks have no problem buying the Corsa.

• Advertisement

The missus is going up to see the 2nd one there, looks like she may purchase if the price is lowered... just a tad.

Well in the end after getting little or no interest in doing a deal from the garage the missus got one from an advert in the paper, 06 Punto Dynamic 1.4 60,000 on the clock for €3200 and the took our knackered Panda too, suits us just fine.

Thanks for the comments.

Advertisement