Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin (Bullfighting Horse)

Options
  • 19-04-2010 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭

I got this link off a friend and even with the Bullfighting aspect it still is a fantastic piece of Horsemanship, maybe this is what they had in mind for Dressage originally? anyway enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Lovely video of dressage movements being used in real life situations, giving an idea of the origin of some of those movements and their use.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Thats exactly what I thought too, lovely to see it being used in a working day. The steps are so fast too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Lovely unless you are the bull i guess. While i can obviously appreciate the skill involved and the hours of work spent schooling it is still hard to ignore the obvious cruelty. Akin to running down a stag in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

lordgoat wrote: »
    Lovely unless you are the bull i guess. While i can obviously appreciate the skill involved and the hours of work spent schooling it is still hard to ignore the obvious cruelty. Akin to running down a stag in my opinion.

Very true Lordgoat

Ok, guys, can we please avoid turning this thread into another animal welfare thread. If you wish to discuss such issues, please feel free to start another thread to that end. Thanks.

• Advertisement

The horse element to that is amazing.

convert wrote: »
    Ok, guys, can we please avoid turning this thread into another animal welfare thread. If you wish to discuss such issues, please feel free to start another thread to that end. Thanks.

I think it's harsh to suggest i was turning this into an animal welfare issue, i'm assuming the post was directed at me. There were two sides to that video, i addressed both.

I also think it's quite militant to curtail discussion in any form but this is your call i guess.

I think what Convert's idea was that the discussion remain with the horsemanship aspect.
    Should someone want to discuss the bullfighting aspect, I believe the Animal welfare forum a better place.

I'll repeat though, that is amazing horsemanship, I don't think I've seen better.

I think it's harsh to suggest i was turning this into an animal welfare issue, i'm assuming the post was directed at me. There were two sides to that video, i addressed both.

I also think it's quite militant to curtail discussion in any form but this is your call i guess.

My post wasn't directed at you, and I apologise if it appeared that way.

The reason I posted the warning was simply to try and prevent this thread from descending into one which focused more on animal welfare/cruely rather than focusing on the equestrain side of it. We've had the problem in the past whereby similar threads have descended into an absolute mess, with posters attacking each other rather than simply addressing the topic of the thread.

I've no problem with individuals discussing welfare issues in the forum, such as hunting, horses and bullfighting, etc. but not at the expense of other topics (such as, in this instance, the practical uses of dressage).

Should anyone have any queries/questions on this, please feel free to PM me or one of the other mods (Wicked and zaraba).

This thread just opened up in the Animal and Pet Issues forum. A slightly different focus that this thread, but said I'd post it here incase anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

Got to love the militant animal lovers. My god i'm very pro animal welfare but the ignorance of some people is frustrating.

Got to love the militant animal lovers. My god i'm very pro animal welfare but the ignorance of some people is frustrating.

It's certainly an education! :D

Advertisement