Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limericks filthy streets

Options
  • 19-04-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

i was out in limerick city centre with my other half on saturday last and went for a walk the following morning to clear my head, i could not get over the state of every footpath that i was walking along!
    they were absolutely filthy.
    where are the council workers responsible for the care of these footpaths?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

That's a bit odd, what time was it? Council normally has street cleaners out at 5am every day to clean up from the previous night. City centre is normally clean by half 6. What street was it? might be worth giving the council a call to let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

This seems to be regularly complained about by the public and by traders.
    The standard response is "Limerick city is cleaned meticulously each morning by a team of highly diligent and motivated council employees"

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

i went walking at about 11 30 , henry st, shannon st and o connell st.
    there was no street cleaners to be seen

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

It's very hard to take the city fathers seriously when they want Limerick to be viewed as a tourist city & you see the filth on the streets.Obviously they're not totally to blame-some people just couldn't be arsed putting their rubbish in a litter bin even when they're two yards away from one.really p*ss*s me off.
    I wish they could clean up the bus station( the area outside it really).
    I know the money isn't there to do the revamp & build a new station(think they got planning permission a few years back) but they could tarmac the place, put up some new bus shelters etc.We're not talking millions here.It just sets a bad example when you have tourists arriving in.
    Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

garminguy wrote: »
    i went walking at about 11 30 , henry st, shannon st and o connell st.
    there was no street cleaners to be seen

Usually out alot earlier than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I would blame the people who can not be arsed to put their rubbish in a bin! And I think it could be said for every city in Ireland..

The street cleaners can only do so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

There arent enough bins on the streets anway, and the amount of chewing gum on Cruises and William street is disgusting, especially by the bus stop outside the Golden Grill

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

it wasn,t just rubbish, it was the actual surface of the footpaths,like when all it needs is a good hose down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

garminguy wrote: »
    it wasn,t just rubbish, it was the actual surface of the footpaths,like when all it needs is a good hose down
    This "perception of grottiness" is just as much a problem for Limerick as actual physical rubbish, the place just looks untidy - and that's before the pajama people come to town! Obviously derelict buildings and empty shops don't help. All the buildings need to be tidied up, streets hosed, tidy up of signage.
    Really it needs major work all round, like Cork had for years, except that Cork did it while times were good. Ongoing digging and blocking off of streets in the current situation would be the final nail in the coffin of Limerick city centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

langdang wrote: »
    This "perception of grottiness" is just as much a problem for Limerick as actual physical rubbish, the place just looks untidy - and that's before the pajama people come to town! Obviously derelict buildings and empty shops don't help. All the buildings need to be tidied up, streets hosed, tidy up of signage.
    Really it needs major work all round, like Cork had for years, except that Cork did it while times were good. Ongoing digging and blocking off of streets in the current situation would be the final nail in the coffin of Limerick city centre!

Totally agree-they could have done a bit more in the good times.In fairness they did a nice job on bedford row, thomas st & little catherine st.Just wish they could have cleaned up william st.
    i noticed last time I was home they had replaced that awful sign that was between william st & cruises st near charlie chaplins.
    It's a start I guess.
    I wonder will they have the funds to re-pave O Connell St & William St.
    That was the plan I think once the tunnel was finished?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its down to the cheap paving material that was used. Fix that and it could be pleasant enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I don't see this changing any time soon. There's no money to clean the place up sure... It's very depressing to walk through at times. Thank god for the nightlife in the city, because without it, Limerick would be up for sale.

Advertisement