Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old P3 1GHz computers-what can i do with them ?!

• 19-04-2010 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've upgraded computers in a local school and i've managed to "get my hands" on around 15 Pentium 3 1GHz pc,with 128/256M RAM,Cd drive,10-20Gb hdds,Windows XP installed.They are not bad for a primary school,for basic tasks or maybe in a Terminal Server Setup type of.

Can i gave them to another school,maybe in the country side OR just drive over Recycling Center and dump it there !??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They would work fine for most tasks with linux or an older version of windows on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i've proposed to go for Linux,in a separate lab,but the management said no,will go for Microsoft .I think that's because Microsoft Academy won't allow you to run another OS in the site due to licensing T&Cs.

Also,in a Terminal Server will work fine...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

People might want them for home servers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

rolion wrote: »
    Can i gave them to another school,maybe in the country side OR just drive over Recycling Center and dump it there !??

One of the lads in work does some volunteering for "Camara".
    They take old PC's, wipe them, put linux on them and send them to Africa.
    They'd probably be happy with them.

Camara Computers for Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

One of the lads in work does some volunteering for "Camara".
    They take old PC's, wipe them, put linux on them and send them to Africa.
    They'd probably be happy with them.

Camara Computers for Africa
    They don't charge either! Last time I went looking to get rid of a few PCs some charity like them wanted to charge me to give them the PCs. I might have 10 PCs knocking around for collection.

I hate throwing out old PCs there's rarely anything actually wrong with them when they're replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Micro$oft Academy = news040405.jpg

Op, would you chance ringing around a bit, may be able to talk to a principal who would be sufficiently enlightened on the issue.

Advertisement