Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories,Dreams & Relfections...

• 19-04-2010 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭

by Carl Jung.

Anyone know where i could get a summary on this?! On page 114 and it is torture.

Anyone actually read it? Thoughts please?

I knew of Jung's beliefs beforehand, but when you actually read the book it is more confusing rather than clarifying. Maybe it will be become clearer as i go on but now his thoughts seem obsessive and Carl seems to just jump from one theory on life, God, etc. to the next. Does not seem very concrete but then again who i am to argue with the great Carl Jung?

Help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cdmt

Hey

I am a Jungoholic (sort of) and has similar problems with that book. I recommend reading summaries of his main ideas - much mor easy to follow. Most bookshops, like Hodges Figgis in Dub. will have sed summaries

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭macca1983

Cdmt wrote: »
    Hey

I am a Jungoholic (sort of) and has similar problems with that book. I recommend reading summaries of his main ideas - much mor easy to follow. Most bookshops, like Hodges Figgis in Dub. will have sed summaries

C

Cheers! Tis actually become a lot clearer in the last 50/60 pages thanks be to f*ck! The first two chapters regarding his childhood were torture, but tis all become a lot clearer now in chapter 3 'Psychiatric Activities'. I'd seriously have to doubt the validity of some of his stories to prove the collective unconscious exists. Anyway i am looking forward to the rest of it now which quite the turnaround!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

macca1983 wrote: »
    I'd seriously have to doubt the validity of some of his stories to prove the collective unconscious exists.

Jung and the truth were not always best friends, and this book in particular has been criticised for the doubtful veracity of his stories.

hotspur wrote: »
    Jung and the truth were not always best friends, and this book in particular has been criticised for the doubtful veracity of his stories.

Really? Any links to some material that doubt him and his book?

Or maybe some of your own thoughts? I am the only one reading this in my class so i have no one to discuss this with.

I just some of his visions/stories somewhat similar to a storyline from the X-Files. I also find myself a bit foolish to be challenging the likes of Carl Jung! Who the hell am i to dispute him??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

It's been too many years for me to remember any sources for what I alluded to. Also I can barely remember the text. Jung was never my cup of tea, I once called him a pathological liar in an exam essay.

I was considering giving him another shot very recently though. Can anyone here recommend something by him? Preferably not too long, no quasi-mystical rubbish, no personality type musings, and ideally either informative of personal growth or mental health?

• Advertisement

hotspur wrote: »
    It's been too many years for me to remember any sources for what I alluded to. Also I can barely remember the text. Jung was never my cup of tea, I once called him a pathological liar in an exam essay.

I was considering giving him another shot very recently though. Can anyone here recommend something by him? Preferably not too long, no quasi-mystical rubbish, no personality type musings, and ideally either informative of personal growth or mental health?

Cheeky bastard! Thankfully some one else is on my wave length!!

I just need some sources to discredit the self-indulgent asshole. Some sources please people????????

Advertisement