Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone done the Citizenship yet?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭

I have had my PR just over a year, am thinking of applying for Citizenship and taking the test etc. Am looking to get in early for the ceremony on Australia Day next year.

Anyone here did this and how easy was it to get the ceremony on the day you want?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

My Mrs did the test and said it was easy.. really easy.

She didn't request a particular date, so afraid I can't help there. There is an option for you to take the ceremony with a friend, so you both get the same date - if that applies to you anyway.

Here's a link to the Citizenship test resource book, in case you don't have it:
    http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/cit_test/test_resource_book/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What advantages does citizenship have over PR?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Citizens can vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Fast lane at the immigration desk.

bw wrote: »
    My Mrs did the test and said it was easy.. really easy.

She didn't request a particular date, so afraid I can't help there. There is an option for you to take the ceremony with a friend, so you both get the same date - if that applies to you anyway.

Here's a link to the Citizenship test resource book, in case you don't have it:
    http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/cit_test/test_resource_book/

Cheers I have the Resource Book already, just more interested in the intended date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

OK Technically - not a huge difference, but:

Once you have citizenship you are 100% in - meaning you never think again about coming in & out of the country, no renewals apart from your passport every 10 years. You're straight in the "Aussie Aussie Aussie" queue with a smile, rather than the "ingrateful foreigner" queue.

And despite it having no real difference in employment - there is the subtle difference that a prospective employer may look at you as a "Citizen" (became one of us) rather than a "permenent foreigner resident"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Daithio2

Biggest difference is that you can never lose your citizenship. PR will expire after a few years (can't remember how many) spent living outside of Australia.

Another one is that a lot of federal Government jobs will only employ citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I have had my PR just over a year, am thinking of applying for Citizenship and taking the test etc. Am looking to get in early for the ceremony on Australia Day next year.

Anyone here did this and how easy was it to get the ceremony on the day you want?

How many years do you need on PR before you can apply for citizenship I thought it was 4?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    How many years do you need on PR before you can apply for citizenship I thought it was 4?

It's 4 but I only require 1 year PR

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It's 4 but I only require 1 year PR

3 of those 4 years on the 457 visa count towards the PR though, yeah?

• Advertisement

3 of those 4 years on the 457 visa count towards the PR though, yeah?

Yes as long as you do the the minimum 12 months PR any time spent on a 457 will count.

Australian Citizenship Act 2007 Residence Requirements

To satisfy the new residence requirements you must have:

4 years lawful residence in Australia. This period must include 12 months as a permanent resident immediately before making an application for Australian citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

WHV counts for Citizenship too.

I'm also planning on counting time spent overseas with Aussie girlfriend for my requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Pretty sure WHV doesn't count.

It specifically says lawful residence. WHV isn't residence, its a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mellor wrote: »
    Pretty sure WHV doesn't count.

It specifically says lawful residence. WHV isn't residence, its a holiday
    From Immi website:
    If you became a permanent resident on or after 1 July 2007 you must:
    have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying, including one year as a permanent resident, and
    not have been absent from Australia for more than one year, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.
    http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/conferral_app_process/

Advertisement