Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC half dead! - Help please!

• 19-04-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭

This is on behalf of a friend who is having trouble with his computer. When he turns it on all he gets is a black screen with Windows on it.

Sorry that's all the info he has given me, will try for more but in the meantime, any ideas?

Many thanks! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Try to boot into safe mode by holding down F8 when the PC starts.

Otherwise not enough information.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

or if it beeps, count the beeps and the sequence.

sounds stupid, but some machines give indicators via beeps to help you narrow in on a problem.

Buit lots momre info needed, make, model, version of windows, any changes made etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

God, I hate when people like you ring the helpdesk.....

My first though is the flux capacitor is not powering at startup

Get your friend to post here or else get his PC, and please give a LOT more detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

sudzs wrote: »
    This is on behalf of a friend who is having trouble with his computer. When he turns it on all he gets is a black screen with Windows on it.

Sorry that's all the info he has given me, will try for more but in the meantime, any ideas?

Many thanks! :D

Could be anything really.

If its half dead, inform him to install Half Life :D

But really, more information is required.

Full PC specs (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, HDD's, GPU, PSU etc etc).

What OS is installed? Has anything been changed / upgraded recently? Any new software installed? Is this a new build and has never worked? Or has this just started to happen.

If it boots to the Win Logo, but no further - a simple repair install by booting from the Windows disk may fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 reallyo'reilly

have ya tried hitting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have two pet gerbils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

LOL!

Thanks for all the replies. Just rang him and got him to start it in safe mode and then restarted it and it seems to be back to normal - which is staggeringly slow!

Not sure how long it will last though, it's about 7 or 8 years old and takes 20+ minutes from start up to being able to get online! :rolleyes:

Thanks again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

takes 20+ minutes from start up to being able to get online!

Sounds a lot like myself

OP - you need to remaster the system to fix the speed. Copy files off, then use supplied CD to reinstall the operating system.

eightyfish wrote: »
    OP - you need to remaster the system to fix the speed. Copy files off, then use supplied CD to reinstall the operating system.

Thanks! I'll tell him that. Though not sure if his tech-ability would be up to it.

Anyone know anyone who'd do it as a nixer or where he might go to find someone. It's only a small job, isn't it??

• Advertisement

Anyone know anyone who'd do it as a nixer or where he might go to find someone. It's only a small job, isn't it??

I fix computers, PM if you want.

Also as a less drastic option you could try defragmenting the hard drive and running a program called CCleaner, google them.

eightyfish wrote: »
    I fix computers, PM if you want.

Also as a less drastic option you could try defragmenting the hard drive and running a program called CCleaner, google them.

Thanks a mill! I'll pass that on to him and let you know if he needs bailing out! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Thanks a mill! I'll pass that on to him and let you know if he needs bailoing out! :D

Where's he based? I would do it no problem, but he'd have to be close enough to me!

If its 7 or 8 years old, you should really get him to consider upgrading it anyway. You can get a full machine on Komplett.ie for €399

Advertisement