Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pedals & shoes on birke to work scheme.

• 19-04-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if his has been covered previously but I've not been on this forum very much and couldn't find a quick answer in the search.

Question: When buying a bike through bike to work scheme are pedals and shoes allowable as accessories for the tax back portion or do you have to pay full whack?

Thanks,
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Pretty much everything's allowed. I got my bike along with lock, luminous jacket, helmet, gloves, lights, mudguards, etc. If you go over the grand you just pay the difference yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

just rememeber to buy it all at once as you wont be able to buy a new bike/accessories for 5 yrs after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

No they're not. The Revenue have a list of allowed items such as reflective clothing, mudguards, pump, lock etc. Shoes & pedals are not on the list. Have a search of the list on www.revenue.ie.

Just ask the shop to include the items esp the pedals on the overall cost of the bike and not as an accessory to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

just about shoes, anyone got a popluar pair to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hungrycol wrote: »
    No they're not. The Revenue have a list of allowed items such as reflective clothing, mudguards, pump, lock etc. Shoes & pedals are not on the list. Have a search of the list on www.revenue.ie.

Just ask the shop to include the items esp the pedals on the overall cost of the bike and not as an accessory to it.
    Rather than buy anything before i had it thought out, the shop allowed me purchase a "gift voucher" on the scheme, which I can spend on what i like when i like.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rather than buy anything before i had it thought out, the shop allowed me purchase a "gift voucher" on the scheme, which I can spend on what i like when i like.

It's not the shop that runs the scheme, it's your employer. The shop will sell you (in fact your employer - it's they who initially purchase the bike) anything you want to pay for, but it doesn't mean it qualifies for the scheme

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,656 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

To be clear, the scheme can be used to purchase complete new bikes and the prescribed safety equipment. If the bike comes with pedals, that's fine (even if you ask the shop to install ones of your choice). It must be a single purchase - you cannot buy a bike one week and the safety equipment the next

More info is available in the Cycling Wiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yeah that's a big no no. If the Revenue found out the shop was doing that they'd get your employer in trouble :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ipodrocker wrote: »
    just about shoes, anyone got a popluar pair to buy?
    Honestly, the ones that fit your feet- and everyone is different in this regard. I fit well into Specialized and Sidi. Specialized are quite a wide fit, Sidi a bit less so. I have tried Mavic/Adidas but they are too narrow for me. Cycle shoes should be quite a tight fit but they shouldn't be constraining in the toe area.

Advertisement