Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg substitute

Options
  • 19-04-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have the bad luck of having an OH with some food allergies, including egg. Most of the time I work around it with egg substitutes so it's not a problem. Unfortunately last night I ran into a problem while breading some chicken; I tried rubbing the chicken with oil but the crumb just wouldn't stick. does anyone know of an egg-free way to get breadcrumbs to stick to chicken?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

kylith wrote: »
    I have the bad luck of having an OH with some food allergies, including egg. Most of the time I work around it with egg substitutes so it's not a problem. Unfortunately last night I ran into a problem while breading some chicken; I tried rubbing the chicken with oil but the crumb just wouldn't stick. does anyone know of an egg-free way to get breadcrumbs to stick to chicken?

Melted butter does the trick, or if you want to be a bit adventurous you could try some mustard;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I made fried drumsticks last week, I soaked the drums in Buttermilk for a night and then rolled them in spiced flour.
    I used a milk and egg wash and then rolled them again to make them extra crispy but you could omit the second step and just flour them.
    It's getting crumbs to stick to anything other than a very light batter or eggwash.
    Would you consider just flouring them and then frying them?

Advertisement