Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to introduce Dog to Cat

Options
  • 19-04-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I started a thread here to say I was taking a dog that was destined to go back to the shelter. The dog had a bite history - basically she is very nervous around new people and would nip/bite at them if they came to her (instead of waiting for her to come to them). Lots of people gave me good advice - thanks. :) We now have the dog and we are trying to introduce her (female) to our cat (also female, and the cat was there first and is the boss of the house).

First signs are goodish. The cat has been close to the dog (within about 15 or 20ft) and has simply ignored the dog and walked away. Equally, the dog has looked at the cat, kinda fascinated, but hasn't tried to go for the cat (dog was on a leash when near the cat).

The dog is allowed downstairs in our house. The cat is allowed everywhere i.e. upstairs is a kind of dog-free sanctuary for the cat. When they are in the house together, they are always separated by at least one closed door. During the day when we are out at work, the dog in is a large dog run we made, with a kennel for shelter. The cat is free to go anywhere i.e. they are both outside.

Even though the cat is ignoring the dog so far, the cat's routine is disrupted and the cat is a bit put out. She was used to going anywhere in the house she wanted and she is very sociable and likes to hang around whatever room we were in. Now she knows there is a dog in the house she is staying mostly upstairs and is wary of coming into a room without checking it first. She's fine with us though and purrs away happily when she is with us on her own.

So, I'm looking for ideas on how do I get the dog and the cat used to each other. Anyone got any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sounds good so far, just keep it up.
    I introduced a pup to an older cat a bit over 18mths ago in a similar way to you and worked great, while not best buddies they get on great and happily sit together, or lie in the sun in the garden together.
    I know its different with an older dog but just be patient and keep on doing what you're doing, drop the lead after a while, but leave it on so if needs be you can stand on it to stop the dog chasing. Don't let them both out in the garden with dog off lead as it gives the chance for a chase, but it sounds good so far.
    Best of luck.

Just to add, my cat still looks to see if the dog is in a room before entering and takes a wide berth, even though the dog doesn't have a problem with him and has even played with him on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sounds like it's going really well. It just takes time. If the dog isn't acting aggressively when on the lead around the cat, then I would try to get someone to hold the cat, and hold it a few feet away from the dog. With the dog still on the lead in case it tries to attack the cat. Or just let them be in the same room a bit more and more everyday, with the dog on the lead, until you feel comfortable taking off the lead. Don't worry if the cat hisses or growls, she probably will for a while, but be careful if the dog is growling.

When I got my first puppy my adult cats took a few months to get used to her. They weren't scared but she annoyed them a bit. But I think they do get used to each other after a while and get to like each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

My folks cat was very put out when the new puppy arrived, and while she wasn't overly afraid, didn't want to be in the same room as the pup. We tried having the pup in her crate and introducing the cat that way, but the cat still wouldnt go near the pup so we weren't making any progress. What we did instead was put the cat into the pup's crate and let the pup free in the kitchen. The cat stayed very calm as she knew the pup couldn't reach her, but the pup, being curious, engaged with the cat and forced her to acknowledge her. It took time, but we just kept doing that for a while every day and after a while they got used to each other and are now great friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Its so good to hear all these stories, Im in the process of getting a puppy and I have a grumpy male cat. I've posted on here before about how vicious he is with other cats so im really hoping that he'll take to the pup. Thats a good idea with the crate, I think i'll try that too:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

It sounds like it's going well and I'd just give them time and not try to force the issue. One of my cats is very shy around strange people and it always takes him a few days to enter a room when he knows a visitor is there, but he comes around eventually. You could try feeding the cat treats while the dog is in the room, to build up a good association.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Thanks everyone. To be fair, it is going reasonably well as we've only had the dog a couple of days now.

My lovely cat is obviously put out, but is very good natured and is not overly shy. She's obviously being cautious when she's walking around the house now, approaching rooms slowly and checking there's no dog inside before going in. Having said that, I've just been playing with her and she's happy and purring away now.

My biggest worry is that I take things slowly over the next couple of weeks and introduce them to each other slowly and then one day the dog goes for the cat and hurts her or worse. Having said that, now the dog is here my suspicions have been confirmed and I can see she's a gentle old soul who just need a bit of care and affection and attention.

Fingers crossed, they'll get used to each other over the next few (2? 3? more?) weeks and at least just put up with each other without fighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Anyone any advice on how to get a cat used to dogs?

The dogs aren't around the whole time (not mine) but it would be easier to get them used to each other when I'm minding the dogs or after bringing them for a walk I sometimes drop into my place before bringing them home.

The the last time I brought them into my place was to give them a wash(very mucky after a walk) the cat normally waits for me to come in but when he saw the two dogs he ran for them and attacked, when I washed them (in the bath using the shower) the cat opened the bathroom door and sat on the toilet growling at them. Handy for me at the time made sure the dogs weren't going to get out of the bath.

They're all about the same size too, mini jack russell(terrified of everything) is smaller than the cat but sam is bigger and much fatter but very slow compared to the cat. The first time they met she didn't know what happened, she just rolled on her belly and looked at me.

The problem is that the cat was a stray for years and probably abused somehow(two canine teeth were broken) he was scared of the door bell and men, nervous of women. Now, he just doesn't like loud noises, still a bit nervous of visitors and the door bell(if ringing for too long)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Tester46, whenever you introduce a new animal to a home, you must reinforce the existing animal's status as the established territory-owner. In the case of the dog and the cat, as you've seen yourself the cat will simply avoid the dog at all opportunities. The risk with that is the cat gets pissed off and leaves the house completely.

If the cat was formerly social and used to enjoy spending time in the living room with you in the evenings, try to recreate that. Shut the dog out of the living room and bring the cat in. When the cat is relaxed, you can try introducing the dog.

Never hold the cat when introducing the dog - always hold the dog. The cat will do you a lot of damage if she tries to get away in fear when you approach with the dog, and the dog can become very excited at the sight of you presenting it with a struggling 'prey' animal. A good initial introduction is to put the cat up on a table, and allow the dog into the room on a very short leash. Whoever the cat is most fond of, that person should sit at the table with the cat, stroking and praising her and giving her a treat.

When you bring the dog in, allow the dog to approach the cat on the table. Do not restrict the cat if she wants to jump down and leave, but her instinct should be to stand her ground because she's up high and therefore more comfortable. You can allow the dog right up to the table, but don't let the dog get her front paws up on the table.

Next bit - the cat WILL almost certainly growl, inflate her fur and swat the dog on the nose. Let her. Do not admonish her. This is your cat's way of establishing her own boundaries.

The biggest error pet owners make in introducing a new animal is to admonish the existing animal for reacting badly, or "being mean" to the new pet. You must not do that. An introduced animal coming into another animal's territory is automatically at the bottom of the pecking order. If you show them more attention and give out to your existing animal for minor displays of aggression, you're artifically elevating the introduced animal in the pecking order. It usually results in cats absconding to a different home, or starting to spray urine indoors to mark territory, with dogs it can result in ongoing fights and them taking weeks or months to settle.

Obviously there is a "within reason" caveat on this. With cats, hissing, some growling, inflating hair and a swat or two is fine. A full on attack is not fine. Common sense should prevail.

Even if your cat goes and hisses and swats at the dog, keep reassuring the cat and move away with the dog. When the cat has calmed down, you can try approaching again. Lots of praise for the cat, and lots of restraint on the dog. When you've moved right away from the cat, then you can praise the dog, but when you're introducing them close, don't overly praise the dog. Praise is encouragement to dogs, and if you praise her when approaching the cat, she may get confused and feel you're encouraging her to go for the cat. Next thing she'll be paws up on the table and she'll get a cat in the face.

Don't persist to the point where both animals become agitated, though they will be a bit stirred up and that can't be helped. Eventually pull the dog right back, either to the other side of the room and put her in a sitting or lying position, and allow the cat to leave the room - she will do this slowly, sauntering at her own pace. It's vital that you don't allow the dog to pursue her at this point. Distract the dog with treats and praise, keeping her in a lying position, while the cat leaves. Give the dog tremendous praise and treats for ignoring the cat.

The initial difficulty in your case will be in introducing an anxious dog that you know has a bite history, so you'll have to be mindful of her foibles as you introduce her to your cat. For instance if she becomes very nervous on introduction, or if the cat stirs her up a bit, you could be at greater risk of injury than the cat will be. If you go to restrain or pull the dog back when she's excited she may turn on you, so be prepared to deal with that if you need to.

The answer to all such introductions is persistent calm - you be calm, your missus needs to be calm, even turn off the phone ringer (so just as they get nose to nose the phone doesn't ring and the cat jumps six feet vertically and lands on the dog and it all goes pete tong from there... :-o)

You need to also take things very slowly. There is no substitute for calm and taking your time in these situations. It might take you weeks to manage the introductions, but if you rush and get it wrong it can take months to gain the ground you lose. (For instance if the cat is ever cornered and really goes the dog, or if the dog gets a chance to chase the cat, it could take them months and months to ever get past that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Thanks Sweeper. I appreciate your very comprehensive answer, especially considering we didn't quite see eye to eye on my original thread ;).

Your advice looks solid and I will do as you suggest. I particularly like the idea of the cat being on the table, and getting treats - good idea.

The more time goes on, I think our new dog just got a bad rep. She is actually very gentle and very good natured. I have brought her walking past fields with cattle and sheep and she hasn't looked twice at them. I've even brought her past a house with a dog at the door (dog was asleep) and she looked at the dog and then looked away. I think her "bite" history might simply have been nipping at people who came too close, too quickly. They interpreted her nervousness as aggression.

I am very hopeful based on what I have seen so far that the cat and dog will eventually accept each other. They may never curl up in front of the fire together, but that's ok too so long as they are both happy. I also agree that our cat was there first and ultimately is No.1 which is why we are making sure she knows that the entire upstairs of the house is her area alone i.e. dog-free. We're also making sure we spend lots of time with her so she doesn't feel sidelined. Early days yet, but we'll follow your advice and hope for the best.

Advertisement