Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Eamon Keane for real?

• 19-04-2010 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

He's droning on (as usual) about the banking crisis. So he get's an 'expert' on to give an opinion on how he's turn it around... And the 'expert' is:......wait for it...... Nick Leeson!!! Yes the same guy who sank a bank on his own! They're unbelievable at Newstalk!! Is there anyone there with some sense??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MysticFred

Nick Leeson was a banker working in a light touch regulated environment with management that didn't understand what he was doing.

I think he is more qualified that many of the journalists writing aboutthe banking crisis. I'm sorry I missed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Leeson is just the chap you want for that discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Leeson is an intelligent guy who has years of experience in banking. He messed up, but it doesn't mean he knows little about the banking sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Leeson is a very smart guy and was talking a lot of sense during that interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Mr E wrote: »
    Leeson is a very smart guy and was talking a lot of sense during that interview.

Well if there's one man who knows how to ruin a bank single handedly, it's Leeson. The only things that you can say in his defence are a) he was young at the time, and should have been kept on a tighter leash by his bosses b) He served four years in jail for his crimes.. I deplore the fact that he is making out of the fact that he has deprived many innocent people of their savings and pensions through movies/books/after dinner speaking etc. Any money he makes from this should be given back to the people he cheated.

When you hear about Richie Boucher getting 1.5 million pension, you have to wonder what would happen to him in Singapore. None of these guys will go to jail (as Leeson did), none will not have their personal fortunes touched, none will be prevented from taking directorships of companies in the future.. What a stupid country we live in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

He does contribute.

A large percentage of what he earns goes towards his errors. He's by no means wealthy. He was actually in a bad way financially a few years ago. And his salary with Galway United wouldn't be much. They haven't enough money to pay him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Keane needs all the expertise he can get.

Leeson is as qualified to contribute as anyone I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Keane needs all the expertise he can get.

Leeson is as qualified to contribute as anyone I can think of.

Well, he certainly knows how to bust one alright....Leeson, that is.
    But does he know how to fix one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

God if Eamon Keane says "schtump" one more time I'm never listening to him again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

The only other people well qualified to talk about the subject with first hand experience wont as they are too busy enjoying counting all their money. (payoffs and pensions from some irish banks spring to mind)

At lest Leeson has ultimately paid the price and has been able to move on. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement