Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

• 19-04-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

According to Cathal Dervan's exclusive the prep run for the Argentina match will see a LOI select 11 managed by Paul Doolin taking on United.

Even if it doesnt go ahead, what do people think would be the best 11 the leauge could put out?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That's actually a really good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I would prefer a LoI XI v Ireland for two reasons. One, the LoI select would probably win and that would be superb entertainment. Two, we will have the fundamentally demeaning situation where a sizeable chunk of the crowd will be cheering a foreign side over their local pro's.

LoI XI would presumably be along the lines of:

Rodgers

Murphy
    Sives
    Shelly
    G. O'Brien

Brennan
    Turner
    Keegan
    C. O'Brien

Twigg
    O'Neill

Solid side that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I would prefer a LoI XI v Ireland for two reasons. One, the LoI select would probably win and that would be superb entertainment. Two, we will have the fundamentally demeaning situation where a sizeable chunk of the crowd will be cheering a foreign side over their local pro's.

LoI XI would presumably be along the lines of:

Rodgers

Murphy
    Sives
    Shelly
    G. O'Brien

Brennan
    Turner
    Keegan
    C. O'Brien

Twigg
    O'Neill

Solid side that.

Brutal player.

Could also agrue for Connor Kenna to be in there at centre half, he's been imense, and just got Player of the Month for the League. (Shelly and Sives are quality tho)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Powell at left back tbh

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Powell at left back tbh

I'm going on form, and his recent games have been gash.

But regardless, there is a decent XI out there. Just a pity that a big day for Irish football is rumoured to include a foreign side and their so called fans.

The white heat of Rovers v B*hs would have been a much better ad for the domestic product than a kick about between two select sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stewie byrne should be in the middle on form.

Turner hasnt played much this season.

Rovers knocked the Bohs game idea on the head as they have their own big games and Euros so didnt need it.

The LOI game was meant to be subsidised as stadiums have to have a fire safety test before opening, not shocked FAI charging people to be test monkeys.

Rodgers

Powell
    Sives
    Kenna
    G. O'Brien

Guy
    S.Byrne
    Rice
    C. O'Brien

Twigg/Sheppard
    O'Neill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But regardless, there is a decent XI out there. Just a pity that a big day for Irish football is rumoured to include a foreign side and their so called fans.

The white heat of Rovers v B*hs would have been a much better ad for the domestic product than a kick about between two select sides.

Don't start

Consider that this a warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

According to Cathal Dervan's exclusive the prep run for the Argentina match will see a LOI select 11 managed by Paul Doolin taking on United.

Even if it doesnt go ahead, what do people think would be the best 11 the leauge could put out?

A taxi driver mentioned that to me this morning. United playing at Lansdowne road (which is looking well by the way) I thought he was pulling my leg :D

redout wrote: »
    A taxi driver mentioned that to me this morning. United playing at Lansdowne road (which is looking well by the way) I thought he was pulling my leg :D

United confirmed a while now just noone knew who it was against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The LOI game was meant to be subsidised as stadiums have to have a fire safety test before opening, not shocked FAI charging people to be test monkeys.

Do they need two though? The IRFU are staging a Munster/Connacht v Leinster/Ulster game, I thought this was going to be the "test" match for the stadium. Do both sports really need to do it?

Anyone know when this is supposed to happen?

• Advertisement

Rovers knocked the Bohs game idea on the head as they have their own big games and Euros so didnt need it.

You sure about that? We have to play them anyway, it was just a question of moving the game to LR....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

He's been fantastic, the only defender thats performing for us.

Spud83 wrote: »
    Do they need two though? The IRFU are staging a Munster/Connacht v Leinster/Ulster game, I thought this was going to be the "test" match for the stadium. Do both sports really need to do it?

Anyone know when this is supposed to happen?

Weekend of the 7th/8th of August.

Rugby will be capped at 15,000, football 25,000 was the plan.

bohsman wrote: »
    He's been fantastic, the only defender thats performing for us.

Not saying much....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Much better to have an LoI XI -v- the Irish international side, say the LoI XI could even win.

You sure about that? We have to play them anyway, it was just a question of moving the game to LR....

Big gate for you and FAI werent compensating to the same level. dont disagree tbh Rovers should get exactly the same amount as having it in Tallaght.

Big gate for you and FAI werent compensating to the same level. dont disagree tbh Rovers should get exactly the same amount as having it in Tallaght.

If it was our home game, why should we not get a higher amount of the gate? If Rovers are to give up the home advantage, which is 100% wins against the D7 shower, what would be in it for us?

But thats not why the game isn't going ahead, more's the pity. The objections to this were not from the two clubs chalked in to play....

Although now the idea is out there and the FAI have guaranteed access, we may well see a derby a season in LR.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Rumours that Platnium One group who got Real to play in Tallaght are getting a game at Croker for the summer also as well as this game.

I'd disagree, he's one of out few players who haven't been crap this season, often our best attack threat. Got a great assist on Friday.

Going on form, Brennan shouldn't be near the team.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Rumours that Platnium One group who got Real to play in Tallaght are getting a game at Croker for the summer also as well as this game.

Meant to be Pats in Aviva/Croker vs barca.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rice

If we're going for form as the sole guide (which we shouldn't really) Chambers would get in over Rice so far this season.

As for the game, no guarantee that United won't just send an XI anyway. Ireland Vs LOI would have drawn as much support and avoided the scenario of the FAI actively seeking a crowd where the majority are cheering against their own national selection.

I still would have thought Rovers and Boez would have been a more decent fit on all departments: better atmosphere and a better test of policing and security, but no way should Rovers give up home advantage unless they get well rewarded for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Would have preffered it to be two Irish teams, tbh, whether that be LoI XI v Ireland or Rover v Bohs. Hope I can get tickets for it whatever the game.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Don't start

Consider that this a warning

To be fair, my point is valid, even if the phrasing contravines some bylaw on here.

Why should the grassroots fan lose out on what was originally and should be a day out for them to accomodate the barstoolers? Tickets will be hoovered up by the Irish Man United fans who have by and large contributed nothing to the building of the place.

Unless Man United are coming over for free, this is removing money from Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To be fair, my point is valid, even if the phrasing contravines some bylaw on here.

Why should the grassroots fan lose out on what was originally and should be a day out for them to accomodate the barstoolers? Tickets will be hoovered up by the Irish Man United fans who have by and large contributed nothing to the building of the place.

Unless Man United are coming over for free, this is removing money from Irish football.

Your point was most certainly valid, but the way you phrased it wasn't and that was the reason for my comment.

FWIW, I wouldn't like to see thousands cheering on United against a LOI select but that's the way of the world, rightly or wrongly.

United coming over is a massive money spinner and will puts arses on seats, which is all that matters at the end of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

where is the money being lost? do the LoI have to pay for utds flights & accommodation? I dont think the LoI would give this the go ahead unless they did the math and realise that they wouldnt lose money, misers that they are. there is more then gate receipts as to how they would get their money back, sponsorships etc.
    I just think this is another way for you to crusade against 'barstoolers' and take a shot at them so that you can feel good about yourself about just how football you really are. its amazing what people do to get their kicks

Jazzy wrote: »
    where is the money being lost? do the LoI have to pay for utds flights & accommodation? I dont think the LoI would give this the go ahead unless they did the math and realise that they wouldnt lose money, misers that they are. there is more then gate receipts as to how they would get their money back, sponsorships etc.
    I just think this is another way for you to crusade against 'barstoolers' and take a shot at them so that you can feel good about yourself about just how football you really are. its amazing what people do to get their kicks

What are you talking about? Of course the FAI have to pay Man U and their expenses. Thats money that should be heading to Rovers and Bohs.

The FAI had the choice of any game to open this stadium and were in discussions with Rovers about the derby being there on the basis that they could market the bejaysis out of it. Instead they will charge us €50 to see an overseas sides reserves play a select side in a pointless game.

A opportunity to promote the game here turned into a day trip for the ole ole brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

What are you talking about? Of course the FAI have to pay Man U and their expenses.

The FAI had the choice of any game to open this stadium and were in discussions with Rovers about the derby being there on the basis that they could market the bejaysis out of it. Instead they will charge us €50 to see an overseas sides reserves play a select side in a pointless game.

A opportunity to promote the game here turned into a day trip for the ole ole brigade.

Is that the main thing you're taking issue with? If so, fair enough. Although I'm not so sure a league game would take full advantage of the occassion either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

managed by Paul Doolin

I won't be going so, might watch paint dry instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DAMN THOSE PEOPLE!!! THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN AT ALL!!! you have such high expectations of fun and entertainment it must be like hanging around with John Cleese.

they want money. they want to try and show UEFA how great a venue it is and they want to garauntee as much cash as possible. by inviting the worlds biggest football team(tm) they think they have found the way to do this. stop being so fukin bitter and take it for what it is - a money spinner.
    its not a spit in the face to LoI fans, its not ignoring them and with how little money there is in the government and sporting institutions maybe (and i know this will be hard to swallow for a level 14 such as yourself) you should be grateful for more money being put into sport in this country, as by all accounts it needs it. maybe you should give less of a sh1t of how this money is being generated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Owen Heary has to be included. One of the best defenders around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Judged on the season so far.

Time has caught up with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

you have such high expectations of fun and entertainment it must be like hanging around with John Cleese.

Whatever about your general posting, but that was fairly funny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

baz2009 wrote: »
    Would have preffered it to be two Irish teams, tbh, whether that be LoI XI v Ireland or Rover v Bohs. Hope I can get tickets for it whatever the game.

Good points and bad points for Rovers v Bohs. Big games between them tend to be atrocious, abysmal games...even for some non-neutrals like the last two games last season..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Conan Byrne fairly decent for Sporting Fingal as well. And obviously put in Jason Byrne given he is a class finisher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

DAMN THOSE PEOPLE!!! THEY DONT KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN AT ALL!!! you have such high expectations of fun and entertainment it must be like hanging around with John Cleese.

they want money. they want to try and show UEFA how great a venue it is and they want to garauntee as much cash as possible. by inviting the worlds biggest football team(tm) they think they have found the way to do this. stop being so fukin bitter and take it for what it is - a money spinner.
    its not a spit in the face to LoI fans, its not ignoring them and with how little money there is in the government and sporting institutions maybe (and i know this will be hard to swallow for a level 14 such as yourself) you should be grateful for more money being put into sport in this country, as by all accounts it needs it. maybe you should give less of a sh1t of how this money is being generated
    It doesn't really matter who plays there if all they're concerned about is showing what a great venue it is. They already have the Europa League final in 2011 as well. Fact of the matter is they could have looked after their own and given the league some much needed good press but instead the day will turn into a haven for green and gold scarves :(

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter who plays there if all they're concerned about is showing what a great venue it is. They already have the Europa League final in 20111 as well.
    Maybe they wanted to showcase something a bit sooner so people don't lose interest because of the long wait?! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Voltwad wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter who plays there if all they're concerned about is showing what a great venue it is. They already have the Europa League final in 20111 as well. Fact of the matter is they could have looked after their own and given the league some much needed good press but instead the day will turn into a haven for green and gold scarves :(

Getting in there early.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Maybe they wanted to showcase something a bit sooner so people don't lose interest because of the long wait?! :-)
    We all know Ireland can't finish anything on schedule :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Personally i would have thought a playing the Irish international side against the best of the LOI would have made a better game.

I at least hope united bring over their first choice players rather than a squad made up mostly of reserves.

LOI legend but his legs are gone, been poor this season, injured for a lot of last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Season ticket holders at LOI clubs should definitely be given first option on this, would hate to see this any more full of United shirts cheering against their own nation than it needs to be. Sickening stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Wtf are the FAI thinking.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Wtf are the FAI thinking.
    Something along the lines of €€€

Along with trying out security and such

CSF wrote: »
    Season ticket holders at LOI clubs should definitely be given first option on this, would hate to see this any more full of United shirts cheering against their own nation than it needs to be. Sickening stuff.

I'd probably buy a few so and flog them to Man Utd "fans" I know for a mad price.:D

Something along the lines of €€€

Along with trying out security and such
    Surely they can make a few quid without drafting Manchester in to milk the barstoolers? I dont think the Republic Of Ireland have any major commitments this summer?

Its just so indicitave of the FAIs attitude, finally get a new stadium and the first event in it is marketed towards barstool gob****es instead of using it to promote Irish football.

Surely they can make a few quid without drafting Manchester in to milk the barstoolers?

Security would have to be tight if Man Utd came over too, heard the Dundrum Devils hooligan group are up for a mill with a seleced LoI group :D also might have some Man City fans turning up with shotguns*.:P

*http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/man-united-fan-shot-in-row-over-tv-derby-match-2025114.html

Nothing pisses me off more than barstolling hooligans, we're here making trouble every week and they go over once or twice a year and think they're real hard men? Pfft.

Haha a LOI hooligans select, Id nearly pay in to this fiasco to see that

Haha a LOI hooligans select, Id nearly pay in to this fiasco to see that

Them Cork lads who were in Tolka on Friday were proper naughty, matching Lyle & Scott jackets and then chanting "Hoo Hoo Hooligans", never heard a bigger laugh in Tolka, ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

This is the one and only time I'd like to see half the tickets go to touts so they can utterly fleece barstoolers.

The other half of course should be distibuted to LoI clubs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement