Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

So you're saying if someone like Sheppard scored 2 or 3 goals on wednesday, it would not improve his chances of getting some decent english sides interested in signing him. Fair enough. Personally, I think a quality performance from some of the younger players could indeed get some teams either interested, or make them more sure in their interest.

Sure if he banged in a hat-trick maybe, but that's an anomaly. But it's still only a friendly. Irish sides get decent friendly results all the time against bigger clubs. Most promising young players here come on to the radar of English clubs very quickly.

I assume that the one thing that really piques interest in (previously-overlooked) players is decent performances in competitive games in Europe. Look at Keith Fahey. And even he had went to England previously but it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

stovelid wrote: »
    Sure if he banged in a hat-trick maybe, but that's an anomaly. But it's still only a friendly. Irish sides get decent friendly results all the time against bigger clubs. Most promising young players here come on to the radar of English clubs very quickly.

+1.
    And they get syphoned off.

This is nothing but an amusing sideshow. It's an irrelevancy really. I'll watch it, but the LoI games to come are more important.

Will the whole crown be draped in red?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

49,000 Man Utd "fans" crowded into the an Irelands National Football stadium cheering for a British club, hope to God they get stuffed.

If any LoI fans are going will you take some pictures of the ironic Green and Gold "protest"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

49,000 Man Utd "fans" crowded into the an Irelands National Football stadium cheering for a British club, hope to God they get stuffed.
    Hoping for a meteorite strike myself :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

If any LoI fans are going will you take some pictures of the ironic Green and Gold "protest"!

first off, there wont be 49,000 people there, the game is not a sell out at the moment anyway.
    secondly, there will be 1,000s there i am sure who are not united fans, just there for the occasion.
    thirdly, there will be no protest, for somebody who hates the english game so much, you claim to know so much.

and please tell me what the "fans" is about, for all you know, 1000's of people there tomorrow night may actually go to more games a year than you go to, does that make them a better "fan" than you? do explain please or do you happen to know that all people in the ground tomorrow night are not regular followers of united? everybody i know going, goes to 25-30 games a year, is that enough for you or is it cos their post code aint M6 that makes them not a "fan"???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

If this thread turns into a 'barstooler' -v- 'real fan' who's got a bigger dick competition it will be locked and there will be NO discussion on this game whatsoever. Any offenders can expect a month off the forum at the very minimum. No exceptions.

thirdly, there will be no protest, for somebody who hates the english game so much, you claim to know so much.

Is this whole Green and Gold crap not a protest? No doubt there will be several thousand wearing green and gold scarfs at the match, which is ironic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I hope at least 3 LOI clubs go bankrupt during the 90mins, and John Delaney announces he's selling the FAI to American investors so they can apply to transfer Ireland to Concacaf to try and capitalise on the Irish-American demographic.

Should be a great night for football all round.

Is this whole Green and Gold crap not a protest? No doubt there will be several thousand wearing green and gold scarfs at the match, which is ironic.

why is it ironic? it is a protest yes, whats the point here? what has this to do with the game tomorrow.

personally, i think the green and gold protest was a great idea at inception, but then lost its point once the media got hold of it. everybody wanted to be involved in it, and just forgot what they were actually protesting about. people tomorrow will/maybe wearing scarves, but there will be no protest.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

John Delaney announces he's selling the FAI

I could live with that

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Surely they wont?

Fella posted on our forum that he overheard two lads in Juventus jerseys last week in Tallaght wondering what our ultras Facci Sognare banner meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

as regards the players not getting paid, that applies for international games so i wouldnt see a big issue on that.

as re insurance, surely the clubs have insurance on all their players and i would be pretty sure any player who was to get injured would be insured in some shape or form. at the very least, they should all have personal insurance but to take out a personal injury and loss of earnings insurance for the game would not be a problem..especially when the event is tied into a huge insurance company.

Senior Irish players get something like €250 a game. I'm 99.99999% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Aw the famous line. Quality comes at a price, clubs don't have the money because clubs don't have enough fans.

I'd say the thousands of Polish who attend lower tier matches in Poland every week go for quality, no, no they don't, they go because it's their local club, it's about being part of a club. Supporting a football club is not just watching the match, it's about the pride and passion, being involved in the club, etc...

Only saw this now. Poland's a horrendous example.

Football's fcuking dead in Poland, a country with nearly ten times more people than us. How many people go to their big derbies? 6?

Polish football's been a joke since the 70s, nobody watches, nobody goes, nobody cares.

In fact, look at most of Eastern Europe, once the quality dwindled, people stopped caring. Russian derbies used to get attendances near a 100,000 in Moscow, now you see a fraction of that. The diminished quality hit the sport appallingly badly in Eastern Europe.

Look at Ferencavros, Honvéd, Red Star, Partizan, Dinamo Tiblisi, Steaua, etc, etc, etc, all the great Eastern clubs have seen attendances decline because of football getting worse in their countries.

The sense of community, of belonging, etc, that just doesn't exist.

I can understand what you mean, supporting your local team is a lovely thing, that's why I support Leinster. Nearest football team to me is probably Rovers, but it's been a long time since they played near me. Moreover, I don't feel an affinity with the club, they don't represent much to the average Dubliner really. Neither do Bohs or Shels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Might have been answered already. but what kit are the LoI lads wearing tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Whats the problem with some people trying to ruffle feathers on here over this match, Everton are playing Sligo Rovers next week in Sligo, Real Madrid played Shamrock Rovers last year in Tallaght,
    Great to see our own league players play some top class opposition and raise some money in the process, I'll be there wearing my Man Utd jersey cuz im a fan, so are some people here suggesting I shouldnt go the the game or whats some peoples problem with this match:confused:

On another note its a disgrace that Amond hasn't been picked for this match our leagues top goalscorer 5 goals ahead of Twigg, only plus is that he will get the chance to play Everton next week

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Might have been answered already. but what kit are the LoI lads wearing tomorrow?

They have a special kit for this match. http://www.sportsfile.com/id/448499/
    Whats the problem with some people trying to ruffle feathers on here over this match, Everton are playing Sligo Rovers next week in Sligo, Real Madrid played Shamrock Rovers last year in Tallaght,
    Great to see our own league players play some top class opposition and raise some money in the process, I'll be there wearing my Man Utd jersey cuz im a fan, so are some people here suggesting I shouldnt go the the game or whats some peoples problem with this match:confused:

The problem is that the FAI invited an English team over to open our new national football stadium. Ireland -v- LoI XI should have been done.

The problem is that the FAI invited an English team over to open our new national football stadium. Ireland -v- LoI XI should have been done.

C'mon son, Ireland playing friendlies are very boring events, it so happens that United were avaliable to play this week so why not, also there are International friendlies in 7 days time in which Ireland will be playing Argentina in none other than Lansdowne road and lets be honest I'd rather see us play Argentina than a select LOI side.
    So theres no real reason to be getting upset about the fact that United are playing there later on today, one of the best/top clubs in the world and then our national side playing one of the top teams in world football Argentina you cant complain about that lads come on;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Paul Keegan named as Captain:
    On Tuesday afternoon in the Aviva Stadium Damien Richardson announced his captain ahead of the Airtricity Challenge match between the Airtricity League and Manchester United and admitted that he is hoping for a good experience for his players.

Richardson has handed the captains armband to Bohemians midfielder Paul Keegan ahead of the game. “I hope Manchester United play the very best team they can. It will show us really how good players are [in Ireland] and what the potential is.”

The newly appointed captain is looking forward to the game and the occasion but once the game begins its down to business.

“It’s a big game like, I think everyone’s looking forward to playing. It’ll be a great day for the people around and for the families but once the game starts that’s all gone out the window and you just concentrate on your job and make sure you put in a great performance.”

To view the press conference click below:
    http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4026

Airtricity XI manager Damian Richardson and Captain Paul Keegan talk before the friendly versus Manchester United. Filmed and Edited by Peter O'Doherty for extratime.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Thats just training kit, as far as I can remember the playing kit is the same as the current Ireland 3rd kit (grey with a flash of bright green) ... with Airtricity on the front of course instead of eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

if that happened, no doubt someone would complain that the irish 11 werent all born here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Just heard this match is taking place tonight and it's the first match at the new stadium. Does'nt seem right tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

On another note its a disgrace that Amond hasn't been picked for this match our leagues top goalscorer 5 goals ahead of Twigg, only plus is that he will get the chance to play Everton next week

AAAAAAAGGGGgggghhhhhh...

I've got an erection just thinking about it. They're only playing a few miles away from my office. :pac:

Got offered a ticket this morning but not going. There seems to be a lot flaoting around so I doubt it's sold out?

My prediction for the night: 1-1

Everton are playing Sligo Rovers next week in Sligo, Real Madrid played Shamrock Rovers last year in Tallaght

Also worth mentioning that Bohs beat Aston Villa 2-1 a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Can't wait for the game tonight.

Really hope the WC players get a run out - will be great to see Rooney play anyway.

Not sure what team I would like to see United player, as I want to see basically all the forwards play - Rooney, Berbatov, Welbeck, Kiko, Hernandez and Diouf - would love to see them all! Rooney is near certain to get some game time anyway. Berbatov and Hernandez would be next on the list I'd like to see up front.

Hoping that Cleverly gets a run out in midfield, as I really like the look of him - a better AM prospect than Gibson is imo. Valencia is penciled in for a run out too which would be great to see with the season start just around the corner. Also hoping that Nani can produce some magic for United tonight - one of our few real flair players.

Really looking forward to it, hopefully it is a good game and we get some good goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

eightyfish wrote: »
    Also worth mentioning that Bohs beat Aston Villa 2-1 a couple of weeks ago.

I believe the difference between those games and tonight from a LOI fan perspective is that their clubs organised those games, and the club makes money out of it, money they rely on. However the clubs will be getting jack **** from tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

event wrote: »
    if that happened, no doubt someone would complain that the irish 11 werent all born here

No they wouldn't as the players would be representing Ireland. LOI fans are upset about this match as they will be outnumbered by Irish people cheering on an English team when they are playing an Irish representative side.

Spud83 wrote: »
    I believe the difference between those games and tonight from a LOI fan perspective is that their clubs organised those games, and the club makes money out of it, money they rely on. However the clubs will be getting jack **** from tonight.

But at least the players should be "grateful" for this chance to put themselves in the "shop window". As if a decent player could fart in this league with English clubs knowing about it and nearly every club plays friendlies against English clubs every summer.

The players have already been shafted over appearance renumeration by Fuhrer Delaney and clubs like Bohs now have to release a load of players four days before a game with us that could have major bearing on the title.

I'm not boycotting the game (and henceforth Ireland games) because it's United (who I also support), or because of the Irish United contingent, or even because the first game is not between Irish sides, although that would have been infinitely preferable. It's because the FAI have strong-armed the fixture right into a busy schedule with zero recompense or consideration for the clubs. Not the players, but the people who pay their wages: the clubs and the supporters.

so there would have been little/no issue if the game had been played wednesday next week then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

so there would have been little/no issue if the game had been played wednesday next week then?

I think the main issue for LOI fans is it is an Premier League club. The premier league are our main rivals for support. If the game was against Barcelona, AC Milan or an international side I really doubt most LOI fans would have a problem.

The players have already been shafted over appearance renumeration by Fuhrer Delaney and clubs like Bohs now have to release a load of players four days before a game with us that could have major bearing on the title.

I don't think Bohs *had* to give players up. If we were still in Europe there'd be no Bohs players in Aviva.
    It's because the FAI have strong-armed the fixture right into a busy schedule with zero recompense or consideration for the clubs.

Crowbarred it in. I actually don't think the FAI give a s*it about the league. I remember Delaney was on some radio show talking about Ireland's exit from the WC at the hand of Henry, and he said "this is important, it's not like it's Bohs vs Rovers" or something along those lines.

Who, United fans, do you think will start tonight?

Valencia, Rooney, Park, Vidic and Carrick are back in the squad, but I can't see them all starting the game.

The only players I am sure of starting are O'Shea (captain) and Gibson "because the Irish fans deserve that", really Fergie? What did we do to deserve Gibson?

Anywho, really can't think of who is going to start tonight, in any position,

That would be even closer to the title-run in. Best solution would be to have made it financially worthwhile for the LOI clubs to participate. Most clubs have friendlies at this time of the year anyway. Or have an Ireland X1 versus United as none of the senior Ireland squad play here.

The FAI would probably have done this but are so desperate for money after the Vantage debacle that they're going for the biggest draw with the cheapest overhead: get in United and then basically strong-arm unpaid opposition to show up.

Who, United fans, do you think will start tonight?

Valencia, Rooney, Park, Vidic and Carrick are back in the squad, but I can't see them all starting the game.

The only players I am sure of starting are O'Shea (captain) and Gibson "because the Irish fans deserve that", really Fergie? What did we do to deserve Gibson?

Anywho, really can't think of who is going to start tonight, in any position,

No idea who will be starting the game as I think a lot of them will only be getting 45 minutes. Hopefully he wants to give as much as his first choice 11 (if we have one) a half together and then switch it up in the second half, but I've no idea really.

I think we need a song for Gibson TBH.

That would be even closer to the title-run in.

But next week is an international break - so the FAI could have called the players up to a national squad and forced the clubs to release the players anyway.

• Advertisement

But next week is an international break - so the FAI could have called the players up to a national squad and forced the clubs to release the players anyway.

What players? The League of Ireland?

What players? The League of Ireland?

Yes.

They don't do it for 'real' internationals (don't want to get into that debate here) but fact is they could if they wanted to.

Yes however, and this may come across as disrespectful to the LOI, but I'm sure Trap would want a sterner test before the Euro qualifiers start.

IMO there are two camps in the LOI support here.

1) Are pissed at the FAI for organising this game, using LOI players, yet none of the money will go the LOI clubs. These I can sympathize with.

2) Are pissed because there is going to be a stadium full/half full of Irish people cheering on an English side against Irish opposition. These I couldn't care less about. But I'll put extra effort into John O'Sheas song to make them happy.

Yes.

They don't do it for 'real' internationals (don't want to get into that debate here) but fact is they could if they wanted to.

:D

Here I am complaining that the FAI are basically disrupting our season by strong-arming our clubs into releasing players and you basically suggest using fictitious international call-ups to achieve this end.

Actually if JD reads Boards, he's probably just had a eureka moment.

i love the way people are saying that clubs were forced to release players. where is the evidence of that. where can we see a player being forced to play in this game?

any interview ive seen, all the players are well up for this and indeed didnt one bohs players say the club/manager were happy to give the players the chance?

this is a massive night for the players, whatever about the shop window, this is great for the LOI and its players, who are the most important. no players, no clubs, no fans. they are all tied in.

they dont get the chance to play in front of 40k that often, wont get a huge chance to play with some of the top players in the world, to show what they are really capable of. LOI fans get a chace to see their players in the big light for once, and they are not happy.

the mind boggles. i hope its a great game and the LOI players do themselves proud. its a shamge the FAI have charged too much for this and the attendance will suffer as a result, should have been capped at about 50euro and not 75, 85 and 100 for the premium level seats.

• Advertisement

:D

Here I am complaining that the FAI are basically disrupting our season by strong-arming our clubs into releasing players and you basically suggest using fictitious international call-ups to achieve this end.

Actually if JD reads Boards, he's probably just had a eureka moment.

I know what you are giving out about, I am just pointing out that just 7 days later they could call up all the LOI players they want under the guise of an International Match and the clubs would have to release the players under FIFA rules.

Probably would have been easier done too, but I'm not sure what the release clauses are for B sides (as they could have had Ireland vs Ireland 'B')

Not sure if this has been posted before:

Airtricity League XI: Rogers, Shelley, Powell, Peers, Oman, Guy, Keegan (c), Williams, Ndo, Brennan, Madden.

Manchester United (squad)-- Kuszczak, Amos, R Da Silva, F Da Silva, Vidic, Smalling, Evans, O'Shea, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, Nani, Park, Valencia, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney, Hernandez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Really don't wanna start off an LOI and foreign teams debate but it's going to be so sad and cringy to see 90% of fans in red jerseys tonight.

i love the way people are saying that clubs were forced to release players. where is the evidence of that. where can we see a player being forced to play in this game?

What's your boss like, as a matter of interest? If he was a vindicative type, and you were a contractor that relied on him every year to approve your work license - a work license that you often had trouble fulfilling the conditions of - and you also relied on him for permission for many other activities vital to the financial health of your business and he asked you to do him a once-off favour to get him out of a deep hole, would you tell him to fuck off?
    eightyfish wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been posted before:

Airtricity League XI: Rogers, Shelley, Powell, Peers, Oman, Guy, Keegan (c), Williams, Ndo, Brennan, Madden.

Manchester United (squad)-- Kuszczak, Amos, R Da Silva, F Da Silva, Vidic, Smalling, Evans, O'Shea, Carrick, Fletcher, Gibson, Nani, Park, Valencia, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney, Hernandez.

Decent side for the LOI. I'd only have added Chambers, Mannus, Twigg and maybe Sives to it myself.

I'm sure most of the United players will get a run-out at some stage. Hopefully see Hernandez for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Is kick off at 7:30?

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Is kick off at 7:30?

7.45 KO. Coverage starts on RTE at 7.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

. LOI fans get a chace to see their players in the big light for once, and they are not happy.

A meaningless showcase friendly played for money is not "the big light", if I understand correctly what you mean by that. It does nothing to promote the LOI, and, I could be wrong in this, I suspect the very vast majority of attendees will be Man U fans, very few of whom would muddy their feet at a local match.

I think it is an ill-conceived idea. I think playing a friendly during the full-blood part of the season shows a lack of respect for the players competing therein, whether they are required to be released or not, whether the players themselves can admit it or not.

AAAAAAAGGGGgggghhhhhh...

:confused:is there a problem officer

I think it is an ill-conceived idea. I think playing a friendly during the full-blood part of the season shows a lack of respect for the players competing therein, whether they are required to be released or not, whether the players themselves can admit it or not.

So Shamrock Rvrs shouldn't have played agaisnt Real Madrid last year, Bohs shouldn't have played Villa and beaten them, Sligo shouldn't be playing Everton next week in case the players get injured??
    I bet every player there tonight is delighted to play against Man Utd and i know one player who was very dissapointed not to be picked in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So Shamrock Rvrs shouldn't have played agaisnt Real Madrid last year, Bohs shouldn't have played Villa and beaten them, Sligo shouldn't be playing Everton next week in case the players get injured??
    I bet every player there tonight is delighted to play against Man Utd and i know one player who was very dissapointed not to be picked in the squad.

You cannot seriously be comparing pre-season and international week matches with additional shoehorned ones mid-week, mid-season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement