Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Lads, anybody have a link to anywhere i can watch this online i missed it cause of training?

You don't want to watch it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

What a lovely opening to our new stadium :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

What a lovely promotion of the league, the few thousand of us who already attend LOI will forget about it, but the people who don't go will just use this as another point in their argument for not going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Who picked up the injury form Bohs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Mister men wrote: »
    Just got a text from a friend at the game. Said the stadium was devoid of any atmosphere for the entire match. Was it the game or is the new stadium a flop?

How could bricks and mortar be responsible for generating an atmosphere?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Who picked up the injury form Bohs?

Brennan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

stovelid wrote: »
    You said (accurately) earlier in the thread that most LOI clubs would struggle in the Championship. Why then do you expect a player like Powell to keep a player at the one of the best clubs in the world in his pocket?

Ah here, it's very bad when you can't make a simple comment on what happened in a game.

Of course I didn't expect him to keep Valencia "in his pocket". I was just surprised at how badly he was outclassed. In times watching premiership sides play lower league English teams in the early rounds of cup competitions - or Irish sides in Europe for that matter - I've never seen a full back struggle so comprehensively.

Ye are assuming some sort of agenda that isn't there tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah here, it's very bad when you can't make a simple comment on what happened in a game.

Of course I didn't expect him to keep Valencia "in his pocket". I was just surprised at how badly he was outclassed. In times watching premiership sides play lower league English teams in the early rounds of cup competitions - or Irish sides in Europe for that matter - I've never seen a full back struggle so comprehensively.

Ye are assuming some sort of agenda that isn't there tbh.
    The chap was playing with players he had never played with before, that is going to have a big effect on a player. You can make simple comments all you want, but they aren't really in perspective. This kind of game can't really portray ANYTHING.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I've never seen a full back struggle so comprehensively.

Obviously didn't see him against TNS so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

any word on Carrick?

• Advertisement

Obviously didn't see him against TNS so...

Too right, he's not even half the player he was last season, don't know what has happened to him, perhaps there was something in that rumor about him and Heary/Fenlon having a bust-up before the Fingal away game.

Has been confirmed Killer pulled his hamstring, looks like McGlynn and Quigley outwide so on Sunday, either that or we better hope Kaka Murphy is fit. Furthermore, Rico kept him on when Killer mentioned the pain in his hamstring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Crowd control coming out of the stadium was an absolute joke. A bit dangerous imo. Herded people away from the station, then back towards it, then away from it again telling you walk back atound to the station. Half surprised thete was not a crush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

dreamers75 wrote: »
    UNited fans ***** tbh

They were shouting shoot btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Powells been dropped a few times, Fenlon clearly isnt happy with his defensive play, windows closed so too late for Pats to sign him, may end up on the mainland tho, Wolves have been interested in the past.

Unless Brennan lost a limb I wouldnt believe that he's injured, not the sort of player that would enjoy getting humiliated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

frantic190 wrote: »
    Kaka Murphy is fit.
    I hope not, horrible footballer Anto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Trilla wrote: »
    I hope not, horrible footballer Anto

Shows glimpses, destroyed Fingal in the Santry Siro earlier in the season.

bohsman wrote: »
    Shows glimpses, destroyed Fingal in the Santry Siro earlier in the season.

Best performance from him of the season, came on as a sub, created the two goals, and then went back off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

New stadium is fine.

Like the bars and lots of space.:cool:

As for the game. Poor showing by our lads overall. Thought Williams did well in the middle and Ndo showed at least an appetite for attack. We never tested their defence really, which was disappointing.

Valencia was very good as was Rooney. Nani could be a big player for them this season.

Basically it was a home match with all the Manchester fans in the ground. The brief "United clap clap clap" chant that went round was a real head in hands moment for me. Frankly a complete embarressment to be Irish.:o

My Czech friend that came with me made the same point.

Basically it was a home match with all the Manchester fans in the ground. The brief "United clap clap clap" chant that went round was a real head in hands moment for me. Frankly a complete embarressment to be Irish.:o

Why are you surprised that fans who were obviously there to support United would chant for their team? And why is it embarrassing?

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why are you surprised that fans who were obviously there to support United would chant for their team? And why is it embarrassing?
    Why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to? Why is my front door painted red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

My Czech friend that came with me made the same point.

If Rovers were playing a "Best of" the EPL, I'd be up for Rovers. I don't know anyone who is a Sligo/Galway Utd/Bohs & Sporting Fingal all rolled into one fan.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/4032/

Pictures from tonight, although I have posted some of them already.

davyjose wrote: »
    If Rovers were playing a "Best of" the EPL, I'd be up for Rovers. I don't know anyone who is a Sligo/Galway Utd/Bohs & Sporting Fingal all rolled into one fan.
    Well no, but they were representing Ireland as a nation obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hang on a sec. I presume you are Irish. If Manchester United were playing the Republic of Ireland senior team who would you shout for?

CSF wrote: »
    Why are you asking questions that you already know the answer to? Why is my front door painted red?

I know what I think, but I'm just not sure what the hell he's thinking.:pac:

I bet your front door is hard to miss too.:pac:

I wonder how many people are thinking you painted your front door red because of United and not Shels :p

I know what I think, but I'm just not sure what the hell he's thinking.:pac:

I bet your front door is hard to miss too.:pac:
    You know exactly what he is thinking. And you're wrong, my front door isn't really red at all.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Hang on a sec. I presume you are Irish. If Manchester United were playing the Republic of Ireland senior team who would you shout for?

Ireland personally, but I wouldn't be too pushed if someone supported United either tbh.

I'd have much more affinity to the Waterford hurlers myself.:pac:

I am interested too see where you're going with this though.
    You know exactly what he is thinking. And you're wrong, my front door isn't really red at all.

I took it as red.:pac:

• Advertisement

frantic190 wrote: »
    I wonder how many people are thinking you painted your front door red because of United and not Shels :p
    Anybody who goes around thinking that the colour of a front door has anything to do with soccer is nuts imo.

Anybody who goes around thinking that the colour of a front door has anything to do with soccer is nuts imo.

I would happily paint my door red and black, but everyone would think I am a psycho, so I leave it the way it is :pac:

I would know im probably in the minority but I would be club over country every single time.

Ireland personally, but I wouldn't be too pushed if someone supported United either tbh.

I'd have much more affinity to the Waterford hurlers myself.:pac:

I am interested too see where you're going with this though.
    This team was not representing a club, its representing the Irish football league so its representing the Irish people. How on earth could you shout for an EPL club against them? I'm a Blackburn fan but I would never support them against any team that represented the Irish league or Ireland.

I don't follow the League of Ireland anymore but its embarrassing imo when you hear Irish people in an Irish stadium shouting for an EPL team against a team representing the Irish league.

This team was not representing a club, its representing the Irish football league so its representing the Irish people. How on earth could you shout for an EPL club against them? I'm a Blackburn fan but I would never support them against any team that represented the Irish league or Ireland.

I don't follow the League of Ireland anymore but its embarrassing imo when you hear Irish people in an Irish stadium shouting for an EPL team against a team representing the Irish league.
    This makes perfect sense to me, so I'm glad to have heard it from someone who isn't a LOI fan at last.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I would know im probably in the minority but I would be club over country every single time.
    Well I feel sad for you that doesn't have any national pride.

• Advertisement

Well I feel sad for you that doesn't have any national pride.

Why are you treating it as all or nothing? I just have less affinity for the England team than I do for Utd. Its not that I dont have ANY national pride.

edit: i just find it very strange to people to put, especially their league, over their own team.

Even though only a small percentage of Irish soccer fans, nevermind Irish people give a monkey's about the league? And from what I've heard from people I know that are ardent LOI fans, even supporters of LOI clubs thought this match was a bit of a joke, so it seems this team doesn't really represent too many people at all tbh. Especially a team where being Irish in any way wasn't a criteria for selection.

Even though only a small percentage of Irish soccer fans, nevermind Irish people don't give a monkey's about the league? And from what I've heard from people I know that are ardent LOI fans, even supporters of LOI clubs thought this match was a bit of a joke, so it seems this team doesn't really represent too many people at all tbh. Especially a team where being Irish in any way wasn't a criteria for selection.
    The match WAS a bit of a joke, but that shouldn't have any influence on allegiance. Irish people sitting in a stadium cheering on an English team against an Irish 1 is definitely going to be 1 of those social phenomenon that people look back on in years to come and think 'ah jesus' like flares and mullets.

The bit in bold is untrue, tbh.

Even though only a small percentage of Irish soccer fans, nevermind Irish people give a monkey's about the league? And from what I've heard from people I know that are ardent LOI fans, even supporters of LOI clubs thought this match was a bit of a joke, so it seems this team doesn't really represent too many people at all tbh. Especially a team where being Irish in any way wasn't a criteria for selection.

I always think of the national team as being the one representing the countries people and not the league. Chelsea playing in Europe do not represent me at all as an English person.

I think its just some people put their club before country and others take the reverse viewpoint.

• Advertisement

The match WAS a bit of a joke, but that shouldn't have any influence on allegiance. Irish people sitting in a stadium cheering on an English team against an Irish 1 is definitely going to be 1 of those social phenomenon that people look back on in years to come and think 'ah jesus' like flares and mullets.

Was it an Irish team though? Technically speaking it could have been made up of Africans, Lithuanians etc etc. It was a team of the best players playing in the LOI. There were three Irish lads on the United team as well by that same token.

Was it an Irish team though? Technically speaking it could have been made up of Africans, Lithuanians etc etc. It was a team of the best players playing in the LOI. There were three Irish lads on the United team as well by that same token.
    Are Sligo Rovers not an Irish team? They have a Cameroonian and a Benintinian player, get the boat.

Are Sligo Rovers not an Irish team? They have a Cameroonian and a Benintinian player, get the boat.

At least Sligo itself is a place in Ireland though, people from Sligo would have a reason to support them.

At least Sligo itself is a place in Ireland though, people from Sligo would have a reason to support them.
    And the League Of IRELAND actually happens to be a place in Ireland too. It is actually so big that it encompasses nearly the WHOLE island. If they'd called the team Ireland Rovers, would that be ok for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg

scudzilla wrote: »
    IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4554.jpg
    Quality.

That first photo is magic. You could sell that.

And the League Of IRELAND actually happens to be a place in Ireland too. It is actually so big that it encompasses nearly the WHOLE island. If they'd called the team Ireland Rovers, would that be ok for you?

Not really. Its not the name as much as the premise. You actually expected people to go to a game and cheer on a one off team thrown together for a meaningless friendly, on the basis that they somehow represent them in some way? A team and a game that a lot of ardent fans of the very same league think is a waste of time? Moreover you're surprised that United fans who don't give a sh*te about the league would go to the game and support their team?

Edit: Those photos are amazing, everyone should thank them and make them post of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I was unable to watch this match but looking at the skysports story about it, i cant help but feel like their pointing and laughing at the standard of our LOI players a bit

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6295117,00.html
    Skysports wrote:
    The standard of their opponents could be measured by six representatives from a Bohemians side surprisingly beaten by Welsh outfit Total Network Solutions in the second qualifying round of the Champions League in Damien Richardson's starting line-up.

United's opener arrived in suitably farcical manner when Gavin Peers cut out a Park Ji-sung cross bound for Rooney at the far post then got himself in a complete mess as he decided what to do next.

Why exactly was it "suitable"?

And before anyone gets down my throat for nitpicking here, i'm a United fan :rolleyes:

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I was unable to watch this match but looking at the skysports story about it, i cant help but feel like their pointing and laughing at the standard of our LOI players a bit

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6295117,00.html

Why exactly was it "suitable"?

And before anyone gets down my throat for nitpicking here, i'm a United fan :rolleyes:

Reading into what Sky Sports spout is somewhat comparable to reading what the Sun spout. I never take anything they say seriously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement