Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CiaranC wrote: »
    Surely they can make a few quid without drafting Manchester in to milk the barstoolers? I dont think the Republic Of Ireland have any major commitments this summer?

Its just so indicitave of the FAIs attitude, finally get a new stadium and the first event in it is marketed towards barstool gob****es instead of using it to promote Irish football.

Cause I am sure the Clubs that the irish international players play for are just going to release their players for the weekend of August 7th/8th, a day not sanctioned for international football, so that the national team can play a LoI XI. I'm sure that was something that was 99% sure to happen.

Also, you are so right that Irish football is not being marketed. I can't believe they are going to get United to play Raith Rovers at the Aviva stadium? Oh wait, it is not Raith Rovers? What, it is actually going to be a team of, potentially, the best talent in the LoI? That shocking... that seems like it could be seen as some sort of exposure for the LoI.... surely that isn't right, the FAI wouldn't do that.

Also, did you hear the rumours of Pats playing Barca at Croker in the summer - how effing disgraceful would that be. Playing a game against a foreign side - not the national side, not a sunday league team... but a foreign side, at a GAA pitch! Horrible stuff.

As if anyone is going to go see Man United or Barcelona play this summer and be anyway impressed with the ability or commitment of the LoI players. Don't know what people do be thinking.

Of course the game should have been Shams vs Bohs. I mean of course they would fill out the 25k seats. They normally do for their league games. What, the capacity of the stadiums is nowhere near that AND they don't fill it anyway? Then where would the other 20k fans needed come from? Non-regular barstool event junkies? But.... that is very similar to what people are giving out about. that doesn't make sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the match does involve a LOI select playing United, just have the tickets strictly divided between members/season ticket holders of the LOI clubs and an allocation sent to Manchester for similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

As if anyone is going to go see Man United or Barcelona play this summer and be anyway impressed with the ability or commitment of the LoI players.
    It’s a nice thought, but I think we both know that most of the attendees will be solely interested in seeing the likes of Nani, Rooney and Berbatov showcasing their talents and will take little notice of the opposition, regardless of how well they acquit themselves. LOI sides have given extremely good accounts of themselves in Europe over the last few years – has anyone in the general footballing public taken any notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

stovelid wrote: »
    If the match does involve a LOI select playing United, just have the tickets strictly divided between members/season ticket holders of the LOI clubs and an allocation sent to Manchester for similar.

Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Two chances. It'll be ticketmaster all the way and the ground will be (half) full of kids cheering on Nani and the other millionaires. There'll be no segregation and therefore no atmosphere but it'll be a lovely day out for the kids.

Honestly don't think I'll be bothered at all, especially as I doubt you'll get much changer from €50 for a ticket.

This thread is hilarious. All the LOI fans come out out the woodwork to act all high and mighty about supporting local teams.

Excuse me for being more interested in a much higher standard, and more entertaining brand of football.

raido9 wrote: »
    Why is that?

Because I'm level 12, rii?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Excuse me for being more interested in a much higher standard, and more entertaining brand of football.

And sure we'd have that if the million or so people in this country actually supported the League, but sure take the easy option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Why is that?

Because it would be unfair on the LoI fans and Mancs if all the tickets are snapped up by people who are regulars at neither.

• Advertisement

This thread is hilarious. All the LOI fans come out out the woodwork to act all high and mighty about supporting local teams.

Fine. Manchester is thataway. Enjoy.

The issue here is why the LoI should pass up a great day out to market our product in the stadium we helped build so you can see your 'hero's' in the flesh with your green and yellow scarf on.

The FAI should not be shafting its professional game to accomodate people who contribute nothing whatsoever to domestic football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Keep it on-topic and keep the "Real Fans" v "barstoolers" nonsense out of your posts.

Iago wrote: »
    Keep it on-topic and keep the "Real Fans" v "barstoolers" nonsense out of your posts.

At the risk of angering the Moderator gods, how do we discuss the topic without referring to barstoolers? That is the topic - the FAI laying them on a day out after telling Rovers to get organised for the derby in LR.

At the risk of angering the Moderator gods, how do we discuss the topic without referring to barstoolers? That is the topic - the FAI laying them on a day out after telling Rovers to get organised for the derby in LR.

That's not the topic, and even if all tickets for Manchester United were restricted to their season ticket holders people would still use the term "barstoolers" regardless, so it's largely irrelevant.

The topic is whether or not the FAI should have taken the route of going for the most commercially viable option, or gone for the taking pride in our national league option. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the respective fans who never petitioned for their decision.

Personally I've long since accepted that pretty much every decision any business has ever made is based on ROI, and there's no point or difference made in me being pi$$ed off about it. The FAI is a business and they obviously believe that this decision will generate the most income and publicity for their event, I can understand the rationale regardless of whether or not I agree with it.

In my experience, the vast majority of people who go to these games are bringing their kids. Kids who are in awe of these worldwide names that they only get to see on the Television because they can't afford / find the time / have access to tickets to see them on a regular basis. The FAI know that they can charge €50/€60 a ticket for this event and parents will pay the money for their kids. Even if every attendee was also a LOI fan there is no way they would pay that amount to watch two LOI teams play each other, so commercially it makes all the sense in the world.

and actually the OP posed the question; What is the best XI the LOI could put out? So it has nothing to do with opposition, commercial reality or pride in the national league at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

The issue here is why the LoI should pass up a great day out to market our product in the stadium we helped build so you can see your 'hero's' in the flesh with your green and yellow scarf on.

The FAI should not be shafting its professional game to accomodate people who contribute nothing whatsoever to domestic football.

I think the reason being is to draw a crowd that will fill the 25,000 seats they want to fill. And before someone gets on their high horses with me I was a regular at the Showgrounds and I used to travel from Clare to them.

I'm sure they'll take their money, which is all the FAI want from this.

It's a fairly major coup from the FAI, they're not an easy team to get to play friendlys. Its great that they are coming to Ireland and really cant hurt the game in Ireland, by them visiting.

I'm failing to see the issue from the LOI supporters here.

• Advertisement

People are understandably disappointed that an opportunity to promote the hell out of the domestic game (which may benefit the FAI long-term) has been passed up for a once-off earner – a very short-sighted decision in my opinion.

djpbarry wrote: »
    People are understandably disappointed that an opportunity to promote the hell out of the domestic game (which may benefit the FAI long-term) has been passed up for a once-off earner – a very short-sighted decision in my opinion.

What opportunity? Bohs v Rovers? I cant see how this would benefit the FAI long term. Would even they fill it?

With utd, they can be sure they'll have close to a full house with overpriced tickets. Thats money coming into the FAI's coffers, which can only be a good thing for Irish football. Unlike that shower who set up the Real Madrid match last year, now that was taking money out of Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

djpbarry wrote: »
    IMO, more people are likely to go watch these 11 LoI players, potentially the best in the league, then would go watch a Shamrock Rovers vs Bohs game - most of the fans at that game would have been Sham/Bohs fans anyway. So, imo, more of the public will be exposed to LoI players due to this game than a domestic game.

What opportunity? Bohs v Rovers? I cant see how this would benefit the FAI long term. Would even they fill it?
    Probably not, but that’s not the point. The point is, this was an opportunity for the FAI to dress up one of their main products with all the razzmatazz that accompanies English Premiership matches every weekend and sell it to the footballing public in this country. Two of the country’s top-sides playing in front of a big crowd in a brand-spanking new stadium – that would have been a terrific advert for the league (unless it was a dire match, of course).
    With utd, they can be sure they'll have close to a full house with overpriced tickets. Thats money coming into the FAI's coffers, which can only be a good thing for Irish football.
    Sure, but it’s a once-off, isn’t it? Unless of course that money is invested into the domestic game, but it’ll probably be used to make up the FAI’s shortfall in funding for the Aviva.
    Unlike that shower who set up the Real Madrid match last year, now that was taking money out of Irish football.
    How exactly? Rovers made money of it, did they not?

IMO, more people are likely to go watch these 11 LoI players, potentially the best in the league, then would go watch a Shamrock Rovers vs Bohs game - most of the fans at that game would have been Sham/Bohs fans anyway. So, imo, more of the public will be exposed to LoI players due to this game than a domestic game.
    I don’t doubt for one second that Man Utd will attract more fans than Bohs v Rovers – that’s a given. Hell, Utd could probably send over a schoolboy team and they still sell the place out. However, the point I was making was that very few Utd fans will take any notice of the LOI players on display and they certainly won’t have any interest in following them to Tallaght, Dalymount, Richmond Park or wherever in the following weeks. The choice of an ‘LOI Select XI’, which makes it look as if they have the interests of the domestic game at heart, is purely a cost-effective option for the FAI – they know people will pay to see Utd, they don’t need another costly side involved.

I think it should also be pointed out that this game is taking place mid-LOI season – there is a full programme of games scheduled for the 6th August.

• Advertisement

They might have given it it a good stab, given the novelty factor of being at the first game and all that.

It's the first football game in the national stadium and for me should be between Irish teams - even the national team. It shouldn't always be about the money. The FAI can stage lucrative friendlies any time they want.

For me, I would just have liked to see the FAI think about something else other than the bucks for once.

Also a friendly won't give the security operation as good a test as a competitive cross-city derby, which is ostensibly supposed to the whole point of the fixture.

Exposed to fans who will be cheering against them and no doubt break into a chorus of boos if one of their heros gets a meaty tackle..... Only in Ireland will we see a local crowd cheering against their national selection.

The issue you are deliberatly avoiding is that the FAI had promised this slot for the derby game and the momentum of it being the first football game in LR would have guaranteed a crowd. Rovers have been left hanging in the wind. This game could have been held anytime....

It's a fairly major coup from the FAI, they're not an easy team to get to play friendlys. Its great that they are coming to Ireland and really cant hurt the game in Ireland, by them visiting.

The very fact you cannot see whats wrong with that statement is fundamentally worrying.

Exposed to fans who will be cheering against them and no doubt break into a chorus of boos if one of their heros gets a meaty tackle..... Only in Ireland will we see a local crowd cheering against their national selection.

The issue you are deliberatly avoiding is that the FAI had promised this slot for the derby game and the momentum of it being the first football game in LR would have guaranteed a crowd. Rovers have been left hanging in the wind. This game could have been held anytime....

The bolded part is so incredibly wrong. You see the same thing on any of the pre-season tours by any of the big EPL teams anywhere in the World.

edit: Which doesn't mean I agree with it btw, no more than I agree with them bringing United over the game. I see the rationale, but I don't agree with it.

Yes and if you can't see what benefit introducing new fans to the white heat of the Dublin derby might be to the domestic game, well thats your lookout.
    With utd, they can be sure they'll have close to a full house with overpriced tickets. Thats money coming into the FAI's coffers, which can only be a good thing for Irish football. Unlike that shower who set up the Real Madrid match last year, now that was taking money out of Irish football.

Rovers made a mint out of the game. Straight into the grassroots of Tallght football.

Fair enough, the FAI will make more from fleecing the Dub Man U fans than Rovers v B*hs, but the issue is the Man U game could have been played any time. Rovers were promised that slot.

The bolded part is so incredibly wrong. You see the same thing on any of the pre-season tours by any of the big EPL teams anywhere in the World.

Where?

Any time United/Chelsea et al go on a pre-season tour to the Far East / Africa & a lesser extent the states you get as many locals cheering them as you do for the local team in question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Any time United/Chelsea et al go on a pre-season tour to the Far East / Africa & a lesser extent the states you get as many locals cheering them as you do for the local team in question.
    Just because we're not unique in this situation doesn't justify it. In fact, it says more about the negative effects of globalisation than the positive. Granted football is a universal sport but issues of identity, community and a sense of belonging are things that should stand tall when cheering on a football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

In all fairness the top Leagues in Japan and China had an average 19,278 (2008) and 16,482 (2009) and Japan have huge competition from baseball over there, actually there's no competition at all. Even the Japanese second tier's average attendence in 2008 would have been over double the League of Ireland Premier Division average last sason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

On the whole "barstoolers" v "real fans" thing, I think supporters of foreign teams should give the AL a chance, like go to a few games and if it's not your cup of tea, then don't go again, at least you tried. I didn't even go to a proper Rovers game, just the Madrid game and the atmosphere was enough to get me hooked, tbh and I intend to go to a lot more Rovers games in June, July and August.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

A lot of people have better things to be doing on a Friday night though.

What's better than watching live football though, I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hold up, I've an even better idea. We could get Man United AND Barcelona over, it could be like the CL final that never came to be. So many people would go and we could charge so much money for it, and Irish football would massively benefit from getting to see these magical players play in our country. Bohs could see what it is they're doing wrong at Tallaght Stadium, Doolin could learn the Barcelona model, Cork could learn how to refinance the Glazer way. A real education for the poor product that is the LOI and a big moneyspinner at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

CSF wrote: »
    Hold up, I've an even better idea. We could get Man United AND Barcelona over, it could be like the CL final that never came to be. So many people would go and we could charge so much money for it, and Irish football would massively benefit from getting to see these magical players play in our country. Bohs could see what it is they're doing wrong at Tallaght Stadium, Doolin could learn the Barcelona model, Cork could learn how to refinance the Glazer way. A real education for the poor product that is the LOI and a big moneyspinner at the same time.

Now that's an idea.

May aswell drag this thread back up to stop the other threads on this farce of a game being deleted.

Don't turn this into a rant against barstoolers or real fans or any other type of fan or there will be infractions and bans as a result

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Great, not like the leagues best players have anything better to do during the season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Should be Ireland XI v Airtricity League XI.

At least it'll get some TV coverage in the UK and will the the Airtricity League name out there.

The home team to win 3-1 ;).

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The home team to win 3-1 ;).

Which is the home team? :(

There is nothing more depressing as a football supporter than to see thousands of Irish people cheering on an English club against an Irish club or in this case Irish Club XI.

Expected nothing less from the FAI.

There had better not be any Rovers players released for this wankfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

You should be honoured the biggest club in the world are coming to open your stadium. Tickets for this are going to be hell to get hold of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Which is the home team? :(

There is nothing more depressing as a football supporter than to see thousands of Irish people cheering on an English club against an Irish club or in this case Irish Club XI.

That will be the most embarrassing thing about the game.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    You should be honoured the biggest club in the world are coming to open your stadium. Tickets for this are going to be hell to get hold of

OKAY we get it. You're a WUM. No need to go on about it...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Expected nothing less from the FAI.

There had better not be any Rovers players released for this wankfest.
    We're due to play you on the 6th. Hope it's all reserves.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

OKAY we get it. You're a WUM. No need to go on about it...

No far from it, just happy my team are coming over to play in a new stadium mate.

You should be honoured the biggest club in the world are coming to open your stadium.

I can go and see United anytime I want. I don't want Rovers players being released for **** ole-ole friendlies a few days before a derby game unless they're our own friendlies or charity games of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Where would ya get tickets for this?

• Advertisement

No far from it, just happy my team are coming over to play in a new stadium mate.

It's Manchester United though, not Bradford City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Where would ya get tickets for this?

If you buy tickets for the two ireland games in the RDS you will get first option on these tickets. Probably the only way you will get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

lad on pats forum had the idea of selling the tickets at LOI games only.

Actually not a bad idea win win for everyone.

Spud83 wrote: »
    If you buy tickets for the two ireland games in the RDS you will get first option on these tickets. Probably the only way you will get them.

I've heard that those games will be pretty pricey as well?

It's Manchester United though, not Bradford City?

What?!? Bradford never won anything.:confused: Why would anyone support them?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement