Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

flahavaj wrote: »
    Not really. Its not the name as much as the premise. You actually expected people to go to a game and cheer on a one off team thrown together for a meaningless friendly, on the basis that they somehow represent them in some way? A team and a game that a lot of ardent fans of the very same league think is a waste of time? Moreover you're surprised that United fans who don't give a sh*te about the league would go to the game and support their team?

Edit: Those photos are amazing, everyone should thank them and make them post of the day.
    I never said I was surprised, just appalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Funny country. There was a time when supporting the 'foreign games' like soccer meant you had no national pride. Nowadays if you're not supporting an Irish soccer club side you have no national pride.

Maybe we should leave behind these silly notions and accept that people support the sports and teams that entertain them? Or would that ruin the fun of the pissing contests?

Anyways I'm off to iron my Dublin jersey and preparing for my Irish language class tomorrow. Hopefully I won't miss Fair City. Have to support these local actors after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Alex Ferguson speaks to the press after the 7-1 win over the Airtricity XI. Filmed by Peter O'Doherty for extratime.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

CSF wrote: »
    I never said I was surprised, just appalled.

There's no need really. Just go watch some hurling next time, where everyone on the pitch truly represents their locality and doesn't even expect to get paid.;)

Funny country. There was a time when supporting the 'foreign games' like soccer meant you had no national pride.
    This is still the case among the most militant GAA fans, when was this ever the case outside of GAA lovers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Even though only a small percentage of Irish soccer fans, nevermind Irish people give a monkey's about the league? And from what I've heard from people I know that are ardent LOI fans, even supporters of LOI clubs thought this match was a bit of a joke, so it seems this team doesn't really represent too many people at all tbh.
    Personally, it wasn’t so much the game was considered a bit of a joke, but rather the idea that it would in some way put the Airtricity League in the ‘shop window’ – that was a joke. There is simply no way the League of Ireland could possibly come out of this fixture with additional credibility – it was never going to happen. Now that they’ve been on the end of a pasting, the 40,000 people that paid, what, upwards of €40, to watch this spectacle will simply go away with their preconceptions about football in this country strongly reinforced. But of course, if those 40,000 people were to spend €40 attending fixtures at their local clubs every now and again, then maybe the quality of football on show, and grounds in which it is played, would be of a higher standard. As long as people continue to expect the same standard of football at Dalymount and Tallaght (for example) as they see at Old Trafford and The Emirates (for example), then football in this country will never, ever progress beyond what it is at the moment.

This game achieved absolutely nothing other than generating some funds for the FAI and was never likely to achieve anything more than that.

I’m told that Gilesy acknowledged that the standard of football in the domestic league has improved over the last 20-odd years? Reminded me of some videos on the Pat's website - a stark reminder of days gone by and incontrovertible evidence that things have certainly improved, on the facilities front if nothing else:

There's no need really. Just go watch some hurling next time, where everyone on the pitch truly represents their locality and doesn't even expect to get paid.;)
    I should probably support Kilkenny if I do. There might be a Wicklow man on the Dublin panel anyway, so they don't even represent Dublin as a county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

djpbarry wrote: »

Jaysus, those were the dark days.

I should probably support Kilkenny if I do. There might be a Wicklow man on the Dublin panel anyway, so they don't even represent Dublin as a county.

Exactly - so why be so pedantic about this or the meaningles friendly that was played tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The match WAS a bit of a joke, but that shouldn't have any influence on allegiance. Irish people sitting in a stadium cheering on an English team against an Irish 1 is definitely going to be 1 of those social phenomenon that people look back on in years to come and think 'ah jesus' like flares and mullets.
    So true. You'd.never see American, asain or African fans cheering an epl side against a local one. Never. So Irish.

Exactly - so why be so pedantic about this or the meaningles friendly that was played tonight.
    Em what?

This is still the case among the most militant GAA fans, when was this ever the case outside of GAA lovers?

Exactly. There's always something. The real social phenomenon of this country is this need to feel superior over other Irish people and be 'more Irish'. Once you had to be a good Catholic to be properly Irish. Some felt you needed to be of humble backgrounds. Some said you had to hate the British. Some said you needed to speak the language. Then sport came into it. There's always going to be something.

Personally I am comfortable enough with my own patriotism and don't feel the need to do things to prove my nationality to myself or anyone else. It's a pity we can't all adopt that attitude as we'd be a happier people if we did.

Em what?

Stop getting your knickers in a twist over sh*t thats never gonna change and isn't that important at all mate. Let people support who they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

The real social phenomenon of this country is this need to feel superior over other Irish people and be 'more Irish'.
    Please don't tar all LOI fans with the same brush. It's not about being more Irish, it's just about supporting your local team - I did exactly the same thing when I lived in London (go Wombles). Because, without local support, local sides die, local leagues die, and the entire football pyramid becomes unsustainably top-heavy.

And apart from anything else, a stronger domestic league would provide a larger pool of talent to draw from for the national team - is that not something we all want?

Exactly. There's always something. The real social phenomenon of this country is this need to feel superior over other Irish people and be 'more Irish'. Once you had to be a good Catholic to be properly Irish. Some felt you needed to be of humble backgrounds. Some said you had to hate the British. Some said you needed to speak the language. Then sport came into it. There's always going to be something.

Personally I am comfortable enough with my own patriotism and don't feel the need to do things to prove my nationality to myself or anyone else. It's a pity we can't all adopt that attitude as we'd be a happier people if we did.
    This just comes off like one of those mock South Park ending speeches, get out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

So true. You'd.never see American, asain or African fans cheering an epl side against a local one. Never. So Irish.

This is wrong... I've seen United play in Asia and 90% of the fans were local (or at least from the country), and yet there were a huge amount of United jerseys around.

Obv they could have come from different parts of the country to watch United play against a team that was not exactly their local team, but the point still stands

Please don't tar all LOI fans with the same brush. It's not about being more Irish, it's just about supporting your local team - I did exactly the same thing when I lived in London (go Wombles). Because, without local support, local sides die, local leagues die, and the entire football pyramid becomes unsustainably top-heavy.

And apart from anything else, a stronger domestic league would provide a larger pool of talent to draw from for the national team - is that not something we all want?

I'm all for supporting your local team , I just think people need to accept that others may not want to do so and aren't going to change their minds because they're called an embarrassment or a barstooler. If anything such self-righteous nonsense just alienates LOI fans further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭colly54

They have a special kit for this match. http://www.sportsfile.com/id/448499/

The problem is that the FAI invited an English team over to open our new national football stadium. Ireland -v- LoI XI should have been done.

You don't support the irish team though gav...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You just don't get it at all do you?

I don't think of anybody as 'less Irish' than anybody else. I do think its embarrassing that Irish people would support an English Premier League team over an team representing the Irish league.

I know that personally if Blackburn were playing an Irish league selection that I'd probably like to see a draw. I certainly could not shout for Rovers against an Irish team of any sort. Sport has always had national pride involved in it, well for as long as I've been alive anyways.

You wouldn't get people supporting a club team over their country in Rugby, Basketball, Golf or any other sport that this country plays as a nation.

eagle eye wrote: »

I don't think of anybody as 'less Irish' than anybody else. I do think its embarrassing that Irish people would support an English Premier League team over an team representing the Irish league.

I know that personally if Blackburn were playing an Irish league selection that I'd probably like to see a draw. I certainly could not shout for Rovers against an Irish team of any sort. Sport has always had national pride involved in it, well for as long as I've been alive anyways.

You wouldn't get people supporting a club team over their country in Rugby, Basketball, Golf or any other sport that this country plays as a nation.

So you don't follow the LOI (nevermind support a LOI team), but would support a thrown together team of LOI players over the team you support regularly (and presumably have done all your life)?

This makes no sense.

• Advertisement

So you don't follow the LOI (nevermind support a LOI team), but would support a thrown together team of LOI players over the team you support regularly (and presumably have done all your life)?

This makes no sense.
    Makes perfect sense to me.

That's a fair point. I can understand and respect that point of view. When it crosses over into a smug sense of superiority is where I have a problem.
    CSF wrote:
    This just comes off like one of those mock South Park ending speeches, get out of it.

You watch South Park? Not going to support local cartoons? ;)
    eagle eye wrote:

I do get it. Do you? You say you don't think of someone as less Irish for supporting a club side yet you go on to say you feel embarrassed that someone would support a PL side over a LOI side. The inference is that those like myself who cheered on United tonight ought to feel bad and in some way ashamed because we cheered on a side we have grown up with and feel an attachment to. Well sorry but I don't feel bad or ashamed.

Frankly eagle eye I'm very surprised you call yourself a Blackburn fan and yet you say you'd support another club side over them. Are you a LOI fan and if not why not, considering this view? The only time I'd feel conflicted watching United play is if they played the Irish national side as they are my two teams and I express my national pride watching them play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

eagle eye wrote: »
    This team was not representing a club, its representing the Irish football league so its representing the Irish people. How on earth could you shout for an EPL club against them? I'm a Blackburn fan but I would never support them against any team that represented the Irish league or Ireland.

I don't follow the League of Ireland anymore but its embarrassing imo when you hear Irish people in an Irish stadium shouting for an EPL team against a team representing the Irish league.

Sorry but thats complete bull****, why should we feel obliged to support a team of players we couldn't give two ****s about, I don't watch LOI and don't really care for it, maybe this is down to the failings of my local club Finn Harps who I used to attend regularly even despite a quite long journey from where I live to Ballybofey.

Maybe if a harps player such as Mc Hugh or Mailey made the team would I take a feint interest in supporting them. United I have been raised to support side by side with Finn Harps and I take preference to watching united, because they are the team I like to watch more and I get to watch more because of terrestrial coverage, for this reason I will support United in matches like these.

Supporting Ireland is a completely different thing to supporting a LOI XI, the ROI players play with pride and commitment every time they put on the shirt, the LOI players didn't, why should I take pride in them if they wont play under our countrys name with a bit of pride or spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

eagle_eye, I think you're just trying to lick all the LOI fan's holes, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

curry-muff wrote: »
    my local club Finn Harps who I used to attend regularly even despite a quite long journey from where I live to Ballybofey.

Getting from your house to Manchester is closer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Supporting Ireland is a completely different thing to supporting a LOI XI, the ROI players play with pride and commitment every time they put on the shirt, the LOI players didn't, why should I take pride in them if they wont play under our countrys name with a bit of pride or spirit.

Thats questionable to say the least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The FAI killed any chance of attracting new people to the LOI tonight with that. I couldn't be arsed getting into the facts or an argument. Just like to make a point:

1. A team thrown together like that was always going to struggle. I guarantee you if one team had of played them instead of a selection the result would have been 2 or 3 nil at most. If the top 4 sides in England were to have a selection of them put together and play against Barcelona lets say. This Premiership XI would struggle like the LOI team did tonight. Obviously the score wouldn't be as big but the frailties would be obvious.

baz2009 wrote: »
    eagle_eye, I think you're just trying to lick all the LOI fan's holes, tbh.
    How does that even make sense? If he idolised LOI fans so much, he could just......be one. It isn't that tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

According to one of the lads the atmosphere was "savg, al d mexican waves wer unreal haa..it was quiet b4 d 1st goal but den evr1 wnt mad!"

pope_face_palm.jpg

Getting from your house to Manchester is closer?

Did you even read the rest of my post or did you stop there?

I went on to say:
    United I have been raised to support side by side with Finn Harps and I take preference to watching united, because they are the team I like to watch more and I get to watch more because of terrestrial coverage

I see United more often because they are better covered on television, are you trying to say that I can't support a team because I can't afford to go see them week in week out? Back to this stupid argument again are we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And finally LOI Unites in the rest of the UK wide hatred of man utd.

Tbh i didnt think it would ever happen but there ya go. Even we hate man united fans!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

dreamers75 wrote: »
    And finally LOI Unites in the rest of the UK wide hatred of man utd.

Tbh i didnt think it would ever happen but there ya go. Even we hate man united fans!!!

Ye hate everybody.

What a shambles of a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I see United more often because they are better covered on television, are you trying to say that I can't support a team because I can't afford to go see them week in week out? Back to this stupid argument again are we?

Of course you can't support a foreign team. After all soccer is an Irish sport.

Le King wrote: »
    This man has wit.

Thats the thing that bothers me about this argument, I haven't missed a Donegal match in about 4 years, in an actual Irish sport, I wonder is their support for their county as strong as it is for their clubs?

Being judged for not wanting to watch Irish league football is pointless to be fair and I'm surprised that I care enough to reply, Ill be United first, always and unless they did something grossly offensive to the Irish, that wouldn't change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sorry but thats complete bull****, why should we feel obliged to support a team of players we couldn't give two ****s about, I don't watch LOI and don't really care for it, maybe this is down to the failings of my local club Finn Harps who I used to attend regularly even despite a quite long journey from where I live to Ballybofey.

Maybe if a harps player such as Mc Hugh or Mailey made the team would I take a feint interest in supporting them. United I have been raised to support side by side with Finn Harps and I take preference to watching united, because they are the team I like to watch more and I get to watch more because of terrestrial coverage, for this reason I will support United in matches like these.

Shame that post couldnt make it to the Aviva, fairly sure they were short of the required 50,000 retards in the one place at the same time.

Record books are gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

There were a lot of kids at the match last night decked out top to toe in Man Utd. gear and as a parent I can see why people forked out the money to bring their kids to see their idols (and I say that as a Man. City supporter). After all with wall to wall EPL coverage it's what they're programmed to do-I reckon kids made up a more than usual portion of the crowd.

I went in to see the stadium and to support the LOI (I say that as a Bray supporter-not as an ABU) but I must admit I cringed to high heaven when I saw grown men (in full Utd. regalia) giving Nani a standing ovation-when he ran over to take a corner:eek:

I've travelled the length and breath of this country in the past watching City play pre season friendlies and never once cheered a goal they scored-I just couldn't do it (mind you if it was in Tallaght.......)

Also enjoyed English people underestimating the strength of Irish beer:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

brayblue24 wrote: »
    but I must admit I cringed to high heaven when I saw grown men (in full Utd. regalia) giving Nani a standing ovation-when he ran over to take a corner:eek:

Have to disagree.

How much is it for a pint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

There were a lot of kids at the match last night decked out top to toe in Man Utd. gear and as a parent I can see why people forked out the money to bring their kids to see their idols (and I say that as a Man. City supporter). After all with wall to wall EPL coverage it's what they're programmed to do-I reckon kids made up a more than usual portion of the crowd.

I went in to see the stadium and to support the LOI (I say that as a Bray supporter-not as an ABU) but I must admit I cringed to high heaven when I saw grown men (in full Utd. regalia) giving Nani a standing ovation-when he ran over to take a corner:eek:

I've travelled the length and breath of this country in the past watching City play pre season friendlies and never once cheered a goal they scored-I just couldn't do it (mind you if it was in Tallaght.......)

what Irish beer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

What the hell are you talking about? Soccer isn't from Ireland.

That's like saying golf is from mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So a game that was meant to give the league a boost has, surprise surprise, done the opposite.

Well done John and co for taking the LOI backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Xavi6 wrote: »

Well done John and co for taking the LOI backwards.

That's been the case for years tbh.

That's been the case for years tbh.

Indeed, but unfortunately this was in front of a much bigger market who, in the main, wouldn't have a clue about the shambles that is the FAI when it comes to the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Only in Ireland could this happen.

The people who say that the league is no good/crap facilities/poor standard as a reason to support the man uniteds/liverpools/ect of the world just does not make sense.

If the people of Manchester did not support their local team initially do you honestly think Man United would have gotten anywhere?
    Man United did not start off with teams who played magical football.
    They did not start with supporters from all over the globe.
    They built on the support of the people from the local people who followed THEIR team.

This is the reason why the league in Ireland will never grow.
    Irish people love the glamor and all that comes with supporting a epl team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

genuine question here to the LOI lads then.

You are made chairman of FAI tomorrow. What changes will you make to help the league? I really struggle to see any workable solutions and would be interested to hear what you think

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    genuine question here to the LOI lads then.

You are made chairman of FAI tomorrow. What changes will you make to help the league? I really struggle to see any workable solutions and would be interested to hear what you think

Just a suggestion, but maybe start a new thread on it? Interesting thoughts to be had I'm sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

My post was not to do with the price of alcohol but the fact that the strength of draught beer in the UK is around 1% lower than here-hence the earlier effects of inebriation-that's all. No offence was intended, just an observation. The main point of the post was football related after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just a suggestion, but maybe start a new thread on it? Interesting thoughts to be had I'm sure!
    That thread will end well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

yeah i wasnt sure whether to leave in here or do a new thread, will fire one up then.

actually f it. itll end in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

My post was not to do with the price of alcohol but the fact that the strength of draught beer in the UK is around 1% lower than here-hence the earlier effects of inebriation-that's all. No offence was intended, just an observation. The main point of the post was football related after all

Just curious though, how much is it for a pint?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement