Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    genuine question here to the LOI lads then.

You are made chairman of FAI tomorrow. What changes will you make to help the league? I really struggle to see any workable solutions and would be interested to hear what you think

Set up a seperate funds package for clubs who are in major financial trouble. Look at Cork City, they shouldn't have been closed down, there should have been funds.

I remember Cork played Nantes back in 2004/2005 and it was amazing, they almost beat them. Barely missed out on the group stages of the UEFA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just curious though, how much is it for a pint?

Bring your curiousity elsewhere, I'm not interested in getting involved in this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Bring your curiousity elsewhere, I'm not interested in getting involved in this nonsense.

It was a genuine question

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think this game could have worked in their favour if planned correctly. If they managed to keep the score respectable, it would have been deemed a success, but playing just before the season kicks off with United gearing up to try and bring home number 19 after last seasons disappointment was just never going to happen...especially without a full panel to choose from!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

CorkMan wrote: »
    What the hell are you talking about? Soccer isn't from Ireland.

That's like saying golf is from mars.

Oh lord, I was joking dude.

Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Set up a seperate funds package for clubs who are in major financial trouble. Look at Cork City, they shouldn't have been closed down, there should have been funds.

I remember Cork played Nantes back in 2004/2005 and it was amazing, they almost beat them. Barely missed out on the group stages of the UEFA Cup.

Please tell me you're joking

TBH it would be fairly sad if these Man United supporters only see United at this game, or future friendlies. I support Real Madrid and travelled to Madrid to see them. An amazing experience of going abroad, and the match was great.

In all fairness, it is 60 euro return through ryanair to Machester and back, maybe 100-150 for a ticket. If these people can buy Man United jerseys with the names on the back every season, and maybe 50+ euros a month for Sky Sports, they can go to Manchester every year.

TBH it would be fairly sad if these Man United supporters only see United at this game, or future friendlies. I support Real Madrid and travelled to Madrid to see them. An amazing experience of going abroad, and the match was great.

In all fairness, it is 60 euro return through ryanair to Machester and back, maybe 100-150 for a ticket. If these people can buy Man United jerseys with the names on the back every season, and maybe 50+ euros a month for Sky Sports, they can go to Manchester every year.

Ha ha ha. PMSL.

Your joking right?

Le King wrote: »
    Oh lord, I was joking dude.

Seriously?

LOL, I was just playing off you saying sarcastly that Soccer is from Ireland. That thought alone is enough to spin off GAA heads.
    Please tell me you're joking

No i'm not. Cork City were top 3 material most seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I always thought the LOI should give local schoolboys clubs free admission for every 5-10 kids accompanied by a coach, does anything along these lines already exist?

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha. PMSL.

Your joking right?

About what? The price of an old trafford ticket??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Only in Ireland could this happen.

The people who say that the league is no good/crap facilities/poor standard as a reason to support the man uniteds/liverpools/ect of the world just does not make sense.

If the people of Manchester did not support their local team initially do you honestly think Man United would have gotten anywhere?
    Man United did not start off with teams who played magical football.
    They did not start with supporters from all over the globe.
    They built on the support of the people from the local people who followed THEIR team.

This is the reason why the league in Ireland will never grow.
    Irish people love the glamor and all that comes with supporting a epl team.

Man United also built on talented Irish players like Johnny Carey, Noel Cantwell, Liam Whelan and so on. When Whelan was playing for United people in Dublin would visit local movie theatres to check out performances of how he played. Even Giles tonight talked about how United have been supported on this side of the water for decades. In time this connection only grew stronger when the likes of Best, Moran, McGrath, Stapleton, Keane, Irwin etc. came along. You cannot dismiss the history and tradition of players from this island and United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc.

If the talented players of England played the game in Spain then you would see more and more English fans following Spanish clubs over time.

If you want to get more Irish fans following local sides then you must stop the exodus of players to English clubs. Get FIFA to implement a rule where players can't move abroad unless they are 21 and over. Allow the young talented players to remain here and build the league up from the bottom up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Passed two men kitted out head to toe in their Man U gear presumably getting the train to the match (or their barstool). The sight of them was awfull. Was so tempted to shout at them. "I hope the brits hammer the f cukin Irish" to see their responce. Decided to let them be in their dream world. The whole "event" today was a disgrace and an embarrassment. Great way to open the stadium to the Irish supporting football fans. Well done Delaney. Take a bow.

No i'm not. Cork City were top 3 material most seasons.

So what? You want mismanaged clubs to be given a free pass essentially.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So what? You want mismanaged clubs to be given a free pass essentially.

No, but the club crumbling was just a blow to the city. It was the chairmans fault, not the badge, turners cross and the people who went there for every match.

No, but the club crumbling was just a blow to the city. It was the chairmans fault, not the badge, turners cross and the people who went there for every match.

I know what you're saying but it's tough sh*t.

Having a safety net of some kind means clubs know that they can have a few years of dominance, throwing cash left, right and centre, safe in the knowledge that they'll be bailed out at the end of it all.

Farcical tbh.

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    Passed two men kitted out head to toe in their Man U gear presumably getting the train to the match (or their barstool). The sight of them was awfull. Was so tempted to shout at them. "I hope the brits hammer the f cukin Irish" to see their responce. Decided to let them be in their dream world. The whole "event" today was a disgrace and an embarrassment. Great way to open the stadium to the Irish supporting football fans. Well done Delaney. Take a bow.

Don't throw the "British" argument, around it's pathetic. You must think soccer is Irish. If you feel so strong about the whole thing, don't watch the foreign sport that is soccer. Go down and watch your local GAA team.

The only thing that was disgraceful today was the LoI again. If it wasn't full of self-important football fans and run so badly then maybe we might have a competitive football league. But we don't and the argument to go watch the LoI at the moment is that it's "Irish".

Really sad tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I know what you're saying but it's tough sh*t.

Having a safety net of some kind means clubs know that they can have a few years of dominance, throwing cash left, right and centre, safe in the knowledge that they'll be bailed out at the end of it all.

Farcical tbh.

No more so than all the sugar daddies in the Premier League really, but I can't see CorkMan's suggestion being viable in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Oh great, I see this thread has been plagued with the holier than thou bullshìt spouted by (some / a lot of) LOI fans against anybody with enough common sense to avoid the catastrophic waste of time that they choose to bother themselves with.

I'd just like to point out something - that LOI pile of **** that took to the pitch tonight didn't represent me in any way. I mean no offence to the players, they were put in an impossibly difficult game, being the weaker players and a selection team; I mean offence to the FAI and the LOI. People who are claiming that the LOI represents Irish people are totally wrong. The LOI represents people who like, or feel attached to, the LOI. League football is one organisation in Ireland, an appallingly badly run organisation. And just like other organisations, institutions and organs of the state (badly run or not), no single one can claim to represent all the people of the country. Just like the FAI doesn't represent any of us (because we all detest them and would give them abuse at any given opportunity), we are in no way obliged to feel represented by the shambles that they put together.

Everybody has the right to object to any organisation in the country and to disassociate themselves from it. Obviously a lot of Irish people feel absolutely no connection with Irish league football. And that's nobody's fault but the league's organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Don't throw the "British" argument, around it's pathetic. You must think soccer is Irish. If you feel so strong about the whole thing, don't watch the foreign sport that is soccer. Go down and watch your local GAA team.

The only thing that was disgraceful today was the LoI again. If it wasn't full of self-important football fans and run so badly then maybe we might have a competitive football league. But we don't and the argument to go watch the LoI at the moment is that it's "Irish".

Really sad tbh.

Here im not gona get into a big debate here. The reason I support the league of Ireland is because im a football fan and to me theirs nothing better than watching live football everyother week. Nothing can compare to it. The argument at the moment to go to LOI games isnt cos it Irish. But theres no denying that an Irish team made up of Irish players were playing a british team tonight.

BTW I was actually on the way to hurling match if that makes ye feel any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

wasnt bothered reading thread as my last post was miles away on the thread but regarding the game it doesnt change anything for me im still a bohs supporter.
    i hated this fixture from the day it was announced, it was never gonna be good PR for the league and the result perhaps has justified peoples opinions on the leagues ''low standards'' that wouldnt normally attend.
    however in defense to the airtricity lads they had probably one training session to play with each other for this fixture against a top quality team that beat the MLS all stars 5-2 this was evident in alot of the mistakes made. you cant just expect a group of players that havent played with each other to give united a good go, could u imagine turning up at astro with 4 other lads u never met and were due to play the best team in the park?? u would be hammered. united were always gonna be favourites and i did expect them to win 3 or 4 nil but not 7-1 which just goes to show the quality of united.
    i still think there were better players left out of the squad but this is irrelevent!!!

ive read some posts on this board really bitter ones about the League of Ireland, no one is expecting you to attend your local game or have an interest but a bit of compassion to supporters and people that are involved wouldnt go a miss at the end of the day its irish, some people are just sad that they wait on a result like this to back up their ''yea i was right the league is ****'' opinion.
    anyway fairplay to the ''barstoolers'' at the game i thought they were well respectfull of the airtricity lads despite the score.

Here im not gona get into a big debate here. The reason I support the league of Ireland is because im a football fan and to me theirs nothing better than watching live football everyother week. Nothing can compare to it. The argument at the moment to go to LOI games isnt cos it Irish.

Good for you. Doesn't make you a "better" football fan than anybody else. As that's the attitude I pick up off a lot of LoI fans. Calling people "awful" and shít, what gives you the right to say that?

Fact is that LoI is a horribly run league. Currently it isn't going to improve and I can't see it improving. If our national team players were picked from the LoI clubs we would be on par with the Faroe's.

I gave up on LoI when KC FC dissolved last year. What a shít run football club that the only people let down were the supporters. Did the FAI care? No. Did you care? I doubt it.

Why would anybody support such a shambles of a league?

You can call us "barstoolers", at least we aren't deluded idiots who have a "I'm better than everyone attitude".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It would be interesting to start a poll/thread asking why people support whoever they support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Pro. F wrote: »
    Oh great, I see this thread has been plagued with the holier than thou bullshìt spouted by (some / a lot of) LOI fans against anybody with enough common sense to avoid the catastrophic waste of time that they choose to bother themselves with.

I'd just like to point out something - that LOI pile of **** that took to the pitch tonight didn't represent me in any way. I mean no offence to the players, they were put in an impossibly difficult game, being the weaker players and a selection team; I mean offence to the FAI and the LOI. People who are claiming that the LOI represents Irish people are totally wrong. The LOI represents people who like, or feel attached to, the LOI. League football is one organisation in Ireland, an appallingly badly run organisation. And just like other organisations, institutions and organs of the state (badly run or not), no single one can claim to represent all the people of the country. Just like the FAI doesn't represent any of us (because we all detest them and would give them abuse at any given opportunity), we are in no way obliged to feel represented by the shambles that they put together.

Everybody has the right to object to any organisation in the country and to disassociate themselves from it. Obviously a lot of Irish people feel absolutely no connection with Irish league football. And that's nobody's fault but the league's organisers.
    Bit of a contradiction there?

Anyway, i don't understand the people that bring up this 'Holier than you' argument? I try and get people to go to league of Ireland games to experience what I experience and it's unparralleled to all my football experiences, I've been to Old Trafford 7-8 times and didn't enjoy the match day experiences because I felt like a tourist among tourists at a museum, I just felt like I couldn't talk or even relate to the people around me, I'd rather keep United for my Saturday afternoon viewing after I've been out with my mates at a Shels match on the friday for a few pints, a laugh and a half decent game of ball (Yes it is possible to do both!!) I love Shelbourne and being a supporter of a local team where everyone in the ground knows each others faces and are friendly towards each other.I'd rather be giving my 10-25 euro a week to peopl who put real effort into keeping a small club ticking over than to some multi-millionaire who couldn't give two fúcks about who you are and how you are. I want people to come along, I want people to enjoy themselves, I want people to meet plenty of friendly folk who will become good friends, look after you with lifts to away matches and the sorts. People just don't know what they miss out on, to have a league which gets upwards 5,000 people at each match is a dream of mine and the fact that its achieveable breaks my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Good for you. Doesn't make you a "better" football fan than anybody else. As that's the attitude I pick up off a lot of LoI fans. Calling people "awful" and shít, what gives you the right to say that?

Fact is that LoI is a horribly run league. Currently it isn't going to improve and I can't see it improving. If our national team players were picked from the LoI clubs we would be on par with the Faroe's.

I gave up on LoI when KC FC dissolved last year. What a shít run football club that the only people let down were the supporters. Did the FAI care? No. Did you care? I doubt it.

You can call us "barstoolers", at least we aren't deluded idiots who have a better than everyone attitude.

Funny, because calling people who follow LOI 'deluded idiots' leads me to think you do have a better than everyone attitude towards LOI fans.

Pro. F wrote: »

i agree that the fai are a shambles and would love that the League of ireland clubs take back full control of the league. however how does an irish man have any sort of connection to a british club like united or even worse chelsea????

btw i dont care who you support its your right to support whoever ye like.

i just found it quite sad that on the opening day in a irish stadium an english team had more support than a bunch of irish lads:( but hey if people wana support united let them.

frantic190 wrote: »
    Funny, because calling people who follow LOI 'deluded idiots' leads me to think you do have a better than everyone attitude towards LOI fans.

I was a LoI fan. Just because someone is deluded doesn't make me better than them.

Add to the football debate. Or keep spouting shíte. Your choice

major bill wrote: »
    i agree that the fai are a shambles and would love that the League of ireland clubs take back full control of the league. however how does an irish man have any sort of connection to a british club like united or even worse chelsea????

btw i dont care who you support its your right to support whoever ye like.

i just found it quite sad that on the opening day in a irish stadium an english team had more support than a bunch of irish lads:( but hey if people wana support united let them.

Should the Irish team have not opened it then?

You can call us "barstoolers", at least we aren't deluded idiots who have a "I'm better than everyone attitude".

com'on now be a bit realistic pal:pac:

• Advertisement

It would be interesting to start a poll/thread asking why people support whoever they support

Work away ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

That will just start another LOI vs. EPL/SPL/wherever debate. But if you want to be the one to use the can opener go ahead :pac:

I was a LoI fan. Just because someone is deluded doesn't make me better than them.

Add to the football debate. Or keep spouting shíte. Your choice

you seem found of that yourself, we are not all deluded idiots that follow the LOI:rolleyes:

Should the Irish team have not opened it then?

the national side?? yes

you seem found of that yourself, we are not all deluded idiots that follow the LOI:rolleyes:

Really? I think as a New Yorker I was born with self-righteousness.

Seriously though, point it out through debate. Not one liners with a rolleyes smilie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really can't believe this post.

How was the event a disgrace? Man Utd are one of the biggest teams in the WORLD! Where ever they go they play to huge crowds and attract huge support. Have you ever seen them on an Asian tour? Staduims picked with Asian Utd supporters, does that make them traitors? Of course not, thing is they are supporting a club, not a country and like it or not people are attracted to top players and the worlds top players play in England, Spain, Italy etc.....not in Ireland.

Also clubs like Liverpool & Utd have always had a strong Irish link with both clubs having long lists of great Irish players on their books and this increases support of people in Ireland. Last night kids got to see players like Rooney and Owen, who they idolize, run rings around players they have never heard of.

Remember support of English clubs goes back years. Years ago only club football on TV was FA Cup final and Match of the Day and The Big Match for highlights. Beamed weekly into Irish homes whilst coverage of Irish football was zilch. This led to an Irish viewers seeing entertaining and exciting football being played by great players and therefore a support built up, this has then been passed onto younger supporters in age of blanket Sky Sports coverage.

I myself am a Liverpool supporter, have never bothered with League of Ireland and I never will. Poor players, poor grounds, and also they never get anywhere in Europe. Success is what makes clubs more attractive to supporters too. Supporting a team that can only dream of beating Bohemians in a league or FAI cup final when you can have clubs that compete againts Europe's top clubs and players in Champion's League.
    I can never see this changing.

In truth having GAA has probably damaged Irish club football irrepairably as it gets a lot of coverage, takes players away from soccer clubs and cuts soccer club potential revenues which therefore restricts investment in clubs.

There is no betrayal in supporting an English club as it's the club you are supporting not the country and you should let people do what they want as the EPL is always going to attract more fans than LOI and I think you should get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

murpho999 wrote: »

Also clubs like Liverpool & Utd have always had a strong Irish link with both clubs having long lists of great Irish players on their books and this increases support of people in Ireland. Last night kids got to see players like Rooney and Owen, who they idolize, run rings around players they have never heard of.

Just picked this point out. I don't buy this whole bullsh1t Irish link crap, why support a team with an Irish link when you could just support an Irish club?:confused:

Really? I think as a New Yorker I was born with self-righteousness.

Seriously though, point it out through debate. Not one liners with a rolleyes smilie.

i have made my opinion on the game/subject already;)

Just picked this point out. I don't buy this whole bullsh1t Irish link crap, why support a team with an Irish link when you could just support an Irish club?:confused:

Have to agree with you zero link imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Funny thing is A lot of them Irish lads representing Ireland support that English team or other English teams.

• Advertisement

I really can't believe this post.

How was the event a disgrace? Man Utd are one of the biggest teams in the WORLD! Where ever they go they play to huge crowds and attract huge support. Have you ever seen them on an Asian tour? Staduims picked with Asian Utd supporters, does that make them traitors? Of course not, thing is they are supporting a club, not a country and like it or not people are attracted to top players and the worlds top players play in England, Spain, Italy etc.....not in Ireland.

Remember support of English clubs goes back years. Years ago only club football on TV was FA Cup final and Match of the Day and The Big Match for highlights. Beamed weekly into Irish homes whilst coverage of Irish football was zilch. This led to an Irish viewers seeing entertaining and exciting football being played by great players and therefore a support built up, this has then been passed onto younger supporters in age of blanket Sky Sports coverage.

I myself am a Liverpool supporter, have never bothered with League of Ireland and I never will. Poor players, poor grounds, and also they never get anywhere in Europe. Success is what makes clubs more attractive to supporters too. Supporting a team that can only dream of beating Bohemians in a league or FAI cup final when you can have clubs that compete againts Europe's top clubs and players in Champion's League.
    I can never see this changing.

In truth having GAA has probably damaged Irish club football irrepairably as it gets a lot of coverage, takes players away from soccer clubs and cuts soccer club potential revenues which therefore restricts investment in clubs.

There is no betrayal in supporting an English club as it's the club you are supporting not the country and you should let people do what they want as the EPL is always going to attract more fans than LOI and I think you should get over it.

antos post was a bit extreme but first bold post i bet you couldnt name 20 players that play in the league or their background you like so many irish just persume they are bad players.

second bold post, the gas thing is these same people will be the first ones delighted to see england getting knocked out of the world cup/european championships its very hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Have to agree with you zero link imo.

I think what people mean when they say Irish link is that since the 50s and 60s people have supported United and Liverpool. The support of both clubs (and I would add Celtic to that as well) is not a recent thing in this country. Its long standing and is passed from parent to child and has been for some time now.

second bold post, the gas thing is these same people will be the first ones delighted to see england getting knocked out of the world cup/european championships its very hypocritical.

+1

And of course unlike over the summer, Gerrard and Rooney are now world class again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

How many of these die hard LOI supporters will also say they support Celtic as well. I would say a lot of them. But hypocritical as well don't you think.

Well then the Irish players who play in England are higher quality players and will have a higher profile and end up playing for Ireland. LOI players won't.

Happens everywhere, was in Rome last year and saw Italians cheering a Chelsea victory because of Italian manager.

Same for Utd, they have a lot of supporters in South Korea because of Park.

It's the way of the world.......get over it!

apoch632 wrote: »
    I think what people mean when they say Irish link is that since the 50s and 60s people have supported United and Liverpool. The support of both clubs (and I would add Celtic to that as well) is not a recent thing in this country. Its long standing and is passed from parent to child and has been for some time now.

Just speaking personally, my support of Arsenal has absolutely nothing to do with trying to link the club to Ireland in some way, I do see where you are coming from, maybe I'm taking the point up wrong, I wouldn't view the handing down from parent to child as an Irish link, you are supporting an English club, end of.

apoch632 wrote: »

in the 50's and 60's there was big LOI support aswell wasnt till the 70's when the English clubs got alot more attention. could be also to do with emigration to england by a lot of irish in that era but i still dont agree with the irish link. i support liverpool but i cant relate to a scouser born and bread in that city and i end up just feeling like a whopper at the games in anfield.

Just speaking personally, my support of Arsenal has absolutely nothing to do with trying to link the club to Ireland in some way, I do see where you are coming from, maybe I'm taking the point up wrong, I wouldn't view the handing down from parent to child as an Irish link, you are supporting an English club, end of.

Arsenal would have gained a lot of Irish supporters in the 70's when Jennings, O'Leary, Brady and Stapleton were there.

Arsenal would have gained a lot of Irish supporters in the 70's when Jennings, O'Leary, Brady and Stapleton were there.

Agree but I still don't view that as a link as such, Arsenal are still an English club.

• Advertisement

+1

And of course unlike over the summer, Gerrard and Rooney are now world class again :)

Proves my point that supporting an English club does not make you an England supporter.

Always want Gerrard to do well for Liverpool but would never want to see England win a World Cup.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement