Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    How many of these die hard LOI supporters will also say they support Celtic as well. I would say a lot of them. But hypocritical as well don't you think.

how is that hypocritical??

my point is and il give an example i was in old trafford when england won the rugby world cup and the crowd were asked to give a standing ovation and you got the odd irish spectator saying fcuk that, its daft

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

major bill wrote: »
    in the 50's and 60's there was big LOI support aswell wasnt till the 70's when the English clubs got alot more attention. could be also to do with emigration to england by a lot of irish in that era but i still dont agree with the irish link. i support liverpool but i cant relate to a scouser born and bread in that city and i end up just feeling like a whopper at the games in anfield.

From what I remember reading of who stole our game (It was a while ago so forgive me if this is wrong) the drop on attendance had already started at that stage. Maybe not as drastic as it is now but certainly on its way there.

my point is and il give an example i was in old trafford when england won the rugby world cup and the crowd were asked to give a standing ovation and you got the odd irish spectator saying fcuk that, its daft

Given that its the North West of England and Rugby League would be dominant form there you probably had a good few english saying that too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

murpho999 wrote: »
    Proves my point that supporting an English club does not make you an England supporter.

Always want Gerrard to do well for Liverpool but would never want to see England win a World Cup.

Have to say I really don't get that, but thats just me, but the whole Gerrard/Rooney, not world class in the summer and suddenly world class now is :o Plenty of support for the "pundits that tell it like it is " during the summer, look at the difference during the CL campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Agree but I still don't view that as a link as such, Arsenal are still an English club.

So what if they are......what is the issue with that?

Fact is that thanks to always having English TV & Media here that English football gets a lot of coverage, has a higher profile and is of a higher standard than Irish club football.

People like success, sort of like how more people watch Ireland games when they have qualified for a World Cup. Then people who never watch Ireland play in qualifiers/friendlies suddenly watch Ireland. Is that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Arsenal would have gained a lot of Irish supporters in the 70's when Jennings, O'Leary, Brady and Stapleton were there.

I wouldn't support Arsenal because of that, don't get why anyone would. The reason I support them because they were my local club for 3 years. But I don't have a problem with people supporting foreign teams, but I hate the know it all but know **** alls who spout on about the LOI when they know nothing about it.

apoch632 wrote: »
    From what I remember reading of who stole our game (It was a while ago so forgive me if this is wrong) the drop on attendance had already started at that stage. Maybe not as drastic as it is now but certainly on its way there.

yea i read the book late 60's early 70's when the english game really took off in ireland television had a big impact on irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

So what if they are......what is the issue with that?

Fact is that thanks to always having English TV & Media here that English football gets a lot of coverage, has a higher profile and is of a higher standard than Irish club football.

None whatsoever, think you are taking me up wrong, some people will justify their support for an English club by suggesting their is some sort of Irish link to that club which is not the case.

Agree with your second paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Personnally I would stand up and applaud them (Not that I would ever be in OT but you get my point) that's a great achievement. But the point is the LOI fans about English football team supporters tar with the same brush and so do the English supporting fans with LOI. But not all are like that.

I don't support the Irish National Team, I am not patriotic I guess but I don't support them cause the FAI are muppets and are hated up and down the country but people still pay extortinate fee's that go straight into their hands. Its like the United fans protesting at Glazer's sitting in their United jerseys in their 60 quid seat and a 5 quid green and gold scarf.. Yeah that's gonna hurt them.

Sorry went off on a tangent. But my point is, the team closest to me would be Sporting Fingal. I know their youth goalkeeper but that's it, I don't know the team, I know nothing about them I have no interest in how they do, but I should go see them cause its the right thing to do?

I go watch my local team every week (By local I mean the team across the road) playing the parks around the place, why don't you do that? They should have more affiliation to you, you don't have to pay either and you get a good friendship with the lads, go for pints with the pints with the lads. Am I a better supporter than LOI lads now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Completely agree there, can't argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I recall seeing National League Selections beat teams like IFK Gotenborg (with 6 players from the Swedish team wich came 4th in the 1994 World Cup) and Seville in the past. Tonight's performance was a farce. Joseph Ndo was the only player which stuck out as having any real ability and forsight in playing the game of Association Football. Never before have a National Leage team/selection been shown up as badly as the lads tonight.

Its like the United fans protesting at Glazer's sitting in their United jerseys in their 60 quid seat and a 5 quid green and gold scarf.. Yeah that's gonna hurt them.

Season Tickets and Shirts were bought July last year. The anti glazer protests didn't start until January when the bond prospectus came out. The money was paid for the season tickets anyway. Boycotting wasn't going to have an effect other than visual last season. And I would argue the G+G had more of an impact visually that scattered empty seats would have

Also the supporters groups have tried just simply calling for boycotts before and it failed miserably. A lot of the better organizers in the United fan movement were also lost with FC United setting up. The G+G was only ever a way of building awareness. For the most part its worked

They have struggled to sell season tickets this year and anyone who wanted one could have bought one so its along with a recession is at least having some effect.

Personnally I would stand up and applaud them (Not that I would ever be in OT but you get my point) that's a great achievement. But the point is the LOI fans about English football team supporters tar with the same brush and so do the English supporting fans with LOI. But not all are like that.

I don't support the Irish National Team, I am not patriotic I guess but I don't support them cause the FAI are muppets and are hated up and down the country but people still pay extortinate fee's that go straight into their hands. Its like the United fans protesting at Glazer's sitting in their United jerseys in their 60 quid seat and a 5 quid green and gold scarf.. Yeah that's gonna hurt them.

Sorry went off on a tangent. But my point is, the team closest to me would be Sporting Fingal. I know their youth goalkeeper but that's it, I don't know the team, I know nothing about them I have no interest in how they do, but I should go see them cause its the right thing to do?

I go watch my local team every week (By local I mean the team across the road) playing the parks around the place, why don't you do that? They should have more affiliation to you, you don't have to pay either and you get a good friendship with the lads, go for pints with the pints with the lads. Am I a better supporter than LOI lads now?

i think this thread has sent out a lot of mixed signals to people, i hate the LOI ''we are better than you cos we support our local team'' brigade just as much as the ''LOI is ****e i seen one game on the telly'' brigade, nobody should be forced to go watch their local team or support irish football loads of people in this country come from an area unrepersented in the LOI.sporting fingal are only a new team so i shouldnt think u would have any connection with them whatsoever.
    its quite fustrating knowing the league has a lot of potential as football is a very popular sport in ireland but year after year we lose good young players to english clubs for pittance as the clubs are in so much dire conditions finacially due to low crowds and ridiculous wages that they have to accept these offers.its a vicious cycle and its not fair to blame people for not going but its a good night out especially when your in a group of 20 30 lads this is what makes me go not the football to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

OPENROAD wrote:
    Have to agree with you zero link imo.

Of course there is an Irish link. If a star comes along then people are going to want to see them. You can guarantee many Welsh United fans would cite the impact of Giggs in the nineties as a reason for supporting them. Likewise many United fans would cite Keane and Irwin being stars at United as a reason for following them, or Villa fans who would say McGrath.

It goes back to the argument about the MLS and how they really need some home-grown stars to help promote the game there.

Really, why would Irish fans want to watch average at best talents when the best young Irish guys are plying their trade in England? It's not rocket science. The 'true' Irish chaps on here might not like it but most people watch sport to be entertained and find looking out for the top Irish talents abroad, and on the national team, sufficient rather than watching LOI standard football.

You want more gates? Get more stars. Find a way to stop the exodus of top talent overseas. The best Irish players are in England, and the ones that aren't picked remain here, and LOI fans wonder why there is little interest.

Frankly this whole 'I'm better and more Irish than you' bollocks is about as productive or useful as some Irish language enthusiast in Gweedore telling me they're more Irish than me because they can speak Gaelic. If you want to promote Irish sport, Irish language etc. then look at the root cause of the problem and stop the pitiful slagging. Both issues incidentally are caused by external influences across the Irish sea. You can look to try and come up with solutions and promote either/both or hit out at the ordinary folks who just want to enjoy their free time. It seems like the current attitude of most LOI fans is the latter.

Of course I'm wasting my time pointing this out as many don't want to know so I'll await the predictable, negative one-line retort like the chap earlier gave me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Not having a go at you specifically but the oneupmanship that these threads usually deteriorate into is petty and childish.

The simple fact is that football can be enjoyed a lot of different ways. Whether it's supporting a successful English club, going along to your local side, whatever. So enjoy it, and leave the bitterness and snide comments, from both sides, alone!

My own thoughts on the match were that it was shameful on the part of the FAI, if they had any interest in promoting the league here, to go ahead with this game. A full-strength Man Utd versus a cobbled-together select team was never going to reflect well on the league, and it's no doubt reinforced certain preconceptions in the minds of many about the league.

Though I'm aware of United's huge following here, I still thought it was a little sad to hear the bulk of the cheering directed towards the United players, in a game where a local side were involved. Inevitable, I know, but it didn't sit well with me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I myself am a Liverpool supporter, have never bothered with League of Ireland and I never will. Poor players, poor grounds, and also they never get anywhere in Europe. Success is what makes clubs more attractive to supporters too. Supporting a team that can only dream of beating Bohemians in a league or FAI cup final when you can have clubs that compete againts Europe's top clubs and players in Champion's League.
    I can never see this changing.

So if Liverpool, hypothetically, got relegated to say League One you'd become a United/Chelsea/insertsuccessfulclubhere fan?

Of course there is an Irish link. If a star comes along then people are going to want to see them. You can guarantee many Welsh United fans would cite the impact of Giggs in the nineties as a reason for supporting them. Likewise many United fans would cite Keane and Irwin being stars at United as a reason for following them, or Villa fans who would say McGrath.

It goes back to the argument about the MLS and how they really need some home-grown stars to help promote the game there.

Really, why would Irish fans want to watch average at best talents when the best young Irish guys are plying their trade in England? It's not rocket science. The 'true' Irish chaps on here might not like it but most people watch sport to be entertained and find looking out for the top Irish talents abroad, and on the national team, sufficient rather than watching LOI standard football.

You want more gates? Get more stars. Find a way to stop the exodus of top talent overseas. The best Irish players are in England, and the ones that aren't picked remain here, and LOI fans wonder why there is little interest.

Frankly this whole 'I'm better and more Irish than you' bollocks is about as productive or useful as some Irish language enthusiast in Gweedore telling me they're more Irish than me because they can speak Gaelic. If you want to promote Irish sport, Irish language etc. then look at the root cause of the problem and stop the pitiful slagging. Both issues incidentally are caused by external influences across the Irish sea. You can look to try and come up with solutions and promote either/both or hit out at the ordinary folks who just want to enjoy their free time. It seems like the current attitude of most LOI fans is the latter.

Of course I'm wasting my time pointing this out as many don't want to know so I'll await the predictable, negative one-line retort like the chap earlier gave me.

mate its a fair point but the same can be said about the fans that slate a person for going to watch a LOI game the number of people that have asked me who i support and then asked who i really support is shocking d1ckheads on both sides of the argument.

''want more gates get more stars'', great point well actually not really u need money which is something the MLS has lots of, clubs in this country need people paying in at the gates to even have any chance of trying to woo in someone decent of celebrity status. as i said above the league is a vicious cycle and the only way its ever gonna be anything is if fifa brought in a bizarre law stating that all players from the republic of ireland must play in the republic of ireland which is very unrealistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Not having a go at you specifically but the oneupmanship that these threads usually deteriorate into is petty and childish.

The simple fact is that football can be enjoyed a lot of different ways. Whether it's supporting a successful English club, going along to your local side, whatever. So enjoy it, and leave the bitterness and snide comments, from both sides, alone!
    Nope I agree with you the pointess oneupmanship is just depressing. I am just saying to the LOI lads who think they are better than the "Barstoolers" if I and I am sure many other people go out and support our local Sunday League team, are we technically able to say we are better than them? I know I did it the wrong way but I think you get what I mean.

The link is of undeniable importance. It is wonderful that talented Young Irish players are given an opportunity to develop, which would never be afforded to them within the infrastructure which the National League put in place. It is only right and proper that players like Stephen Hunt, Kevin Doyle, Keith Fahey etc have been given a chance to develop into full internationals, and seek out multi-million pound deals.

For the National League to develop, it will need to understand that it will not become an unbridled success over the course of a few seasons. It also has to be willing to look further afield for players, and actively recruit young talent from International Teams, which they have forged links with. Financial stability is also key, and the fact that clubs like Shelbourne, Cork City, Derry City, Kildare County etc played russian roulette with the revenue men is an indictment of the National League's heirarchy, and those who were charged with running the league.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So if Liverpool, hypothetically, got relegated to say League One you'd become a United/Chelsea/insertsuccessfulclubhere fan?

In fact, it seems that he is describing Liverpool at the moment !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

i think this thread has sent out a lot of mixed signals to people, i hate the LOI ''we are better than you cos we support our local team'' brigade just as much as the ''LOI is ****e i seen one game on the telly'' brigade, nobody should be forced to go watch their local team or support irish football loads of people in this country come from an area unrepersented in the LOI.sporting fingal are only a new team so i shouldnt think u would have any connection with them whatsoever.
    its quite fustrating knowing the league has a lot of potential as football is a very popular sport in ireland but year after year we lose good young players to english clubs for pittance as the clubs are in so much dire conditions finacially due to low crowds and ridiculous wages that they have to accept these offers.its a vicious cycle and its not fair to blame people for not going but its a good night out especially when your in a group of 20 30 lads this is what makes me go not the football to an extent.

Look at Brazil, they're league is a good bit better than ours. The likes of Corinthians with Roberto Carlos at the back, Ronaldo up front and I say no bad players elsewhere. They would win the league here almost every season, if not every IMO.

Yet Brazil loses it's talent to the "big 3", EPL, La Liga and Serie A. I don't know how ye think Ireland can hold onto the Duff's, Robbie Keane's, Shay Givens, etc when Brazil/Argentina/Portugal/Czech Republic, etc can't keep their home grown talent. It is not possible for Ireland to keep its stars in todays game, and I don't blame them either. Even in League 1 or the Championship they'd make a lot more money than here, never mind if they are good enough to make the EPL.

Plus LoI isn't very bad IMO. We are just below UEFA Cup standard. Below obviously the big 3, and the Czech Republics, Ukraine, leagues of that standard though I say the best Irish sides would survive the vast majority of leagues in all of Europe. Russia, Holland, Czech Republic, Sweden etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

second bold post, the gas thing is these same people will be the first ones delighted to see england getting knocked out of the world cup/european championships its very hypocritical.
    It would probably be more hypocritical if they supported England.

Very difficult for any ManU fan to support a team containing Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Johnson, Cole, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

CorkMan wrote: »
    Look at Brazil, they're league is a good bit better than ours. The likes of Corinthians with Roberto Carlos at the back, Ronaldo up front and I say no bad players elsewhere. They would win the league here almost every season, if not every IMO.

Yet Brazil loses it's talent to the "big 3", EPL, La Liga and Serie A. I don't know how ye think Ireland can hold onto the Duff's, Robbie Keane's, Shay Givens, etc when Brazil/Argentina/Portugal/Czech Republic, etc can't keep their home grown talent. It is not possible for Ireland to keep its stars in todays game, and I don't blame them either. Even in League 1 or the Championship they'd make a lot more money than here, never mind if they are good enough to make the EPL.

Plus LoI isn't very bad IMO. We are just below UEFA Cup standard. Below obviously the big 3, and the Czech Republics, Ukraine, leagues of that standard though I say the best Irish sides would survive the vast majority of leagues in all of Europe. Russia, Holland, Czech Republic, Sweden etc.

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

I think last night showed in esssence whats wrong with the modern day football supporter. Utd fans wearin their jester hats in tow with their new kit and green and gold scarf. Talk about being hypocritical, were there supporters protesting against theirselves? While also not supporting their own country men....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So true. You'd.never see American, asain or African fans cheering an epl side against a local one. Never. So Irish.
    roryc wrote: »
    This is wrong... I've seen United play in Asia and 90% of the fans were local (or at least from the country), and yet there were a huge amount of United jerseys around.

Obv they could have come from different parts of the country to watch United play against a team that was not exactly their local team, but the point still stands

Was being sarcastic.
    5ForKeeps wrote: »
    I think last night showed in esssence whats wrong with the modern day football supporter. Utd fans wearin their jester hats in tow with their new kit and green and gold scarf. Talk about being hypocritical, were there supporters protesting against theirselves? While also not supporting their own country men....

Green and Gold is a protest against the owners of the club, not a protest against the club, not a protest against sponsors of the club.

Green and Gold is a protest against the owners of the club, not a protest against the club, not a protest against sponsors of the club.

I am fully aware it is a protest against the owners what are they protesting against if they putting money into the glazers pockets by buying the new kits. In my opinion that is hypocritical, the green and gold campaign was great in the beginning but it has become a fashion statement as was in evidence last night "to fit in"

I am fully aware it is a protest against the owners what are they protesting against if they putting money into the glazers pockets by buying the new kits. In my opinion that is hypocritical, the green and gold campaign was great in the beginning but it has become a fashion statement as was in evidence last night "to fit in"

Buying jerseys puts no money into the glazer pockets.

Do you have the same reaction to Liverpool (or United fans) protesting about the owners of their clubs at the games? To do so they have bought tickets, which actually does put money in the owners pockets (unlike buying the new United kit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Was anyone else impressed with Smalling's performance? Before anyone goes on about the standard of opposition I am talking about his calmness and general play. He looks to have HUGE potential and the reported £8M fee looks good business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The majority of the mightnight ramblings on this thread reminds me of an Xbox v Playstation or Microsoft v Apple debate.

• Advertisement

Was anyone else impressed with Smalling's performance? Before anyone goes on about the standard of opposition I am talking about his calmness and general play. He looks to have HUGE potential and the reported £8M fee looks good business.

First half he looked good enough, calm on the ball etc. Was impressed with the attacking positions he picked up too.

However, I do think he did very very badly for the goal, got completely sucked in way out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

:D Really? Who do you think gets the money then? The tooth fairy?

Last night was pure car crash tv.

Topped off by Man United fans singing "ole, ole".

Thanks for the laugh. :pac:

Do you have the same reaction to Liverpool (or United fans) protesting about the owners of their clubs at the games? To do so they have bought tickets, which actually does put money in the owners pockets (unlike buying the new United kit)

The same reaction would be the same. I am a Liverpool supporter and for you to say that a club of Manchester United's says no money is being put into the club by buying jerseys is delusion. The money from the jerseys and the tickets from last night which Utd got off the FAI is going to the hedge funds the Glazers have you in.

In regards to tickets, LFC is so stuck to sell tickets this season 3,000 season tickets were offered to membership card holders because people are boycotting Anfield games this season. Arsenal with a week to go is not sold out, I have never seen that before at Anfield. Every bit of money that supporters from either LFC or United is going to pay off a debt that none of the genuine fans who understand the situation wanted.

To pay 45-60 euro to watch that last night with 49,000 people there shows what kind of mugs are around today. Where you can get a ticket for the Ireland/Argentina game for 40 euro next wednesday makes more sense.

I can say if Liverpool were playing up there last night, I would rather be watching my local team wexford youths than pay 60 euro to watch the kind of game which would happen if any big club played a LOI XI last night.

Going off track for a min but most of all people will be putting down the LOI after last night is highly unfair. As Rory Smith said last night, the LOI is a decent league and with decent players of Lower Championship/League One standard. If the FAI actually had the cop on to support the clubs by getting tv deals in place for RTE to show LOI teams in Europe over the summer months would create a bit of exposure for the League and the League would be better for it. The FAI need to get the grass roots sorted and soon otherwise the national team is going to suffer in the next decade or 2.

I give you one example, Jimmy Keohane who now has signed for Bristol City. Was the only LOI player in the Ireland U-19 squad which says a lot for the FAI's approach to grass roots football. Developed at grass roots level under the tutolage of Mick Wallace, Don Givens ruined our underage structures and the FAI didn't get rid of him and because of that we have no talent coming through that has being developed properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

there is no way that ireland could have opened the stadium.
    they have a friendly next week, the clubs would not have released their players two weeks in a row and nor would they have to, Fifa couldnt make them for the opening of a stadium.

so the next option would be two LOI teams against each other.

Who then?
    not rovers, they are playing the next day. I doubt Bohs or Pats would want to, sure they are playing each other on Sunday. They wouldnt want to risk an injury.

So what two teams could be able to fill a stadium of about 50,000 people?

Other option would be two LOI XI's to play each other. Would people really go to see this though?

So what option do you think the FAI should have gone with for the opening, considering they would want to a full or as near to a full house as possible?

event wrote: »
    there is no way that ireland could have opened the stadium.
    they have a friendly next week, the clubs would not have released their players two weeks in a row and nor would they have to, Fifa couldnt make them for the opening of a stadium.

so the next option would be two LOI teams against each other.

Who then?
    not rovers, they are playing the next day. I doubt Bohs or Pats would want to, sure they are playing each other on Sunday. They wouldnt want to risk an injury.

So what two teams could be able to fill a stadium of about 50,000 people?

Other option would be two LOI XI's to play each other. Would people really go to see this though?

So what option do you think the FAI should have gone with for the opening, considering they would want to a full or as near to a full house as possible?

Leave the opening game as Ireland vs. Argentina next week. This game was a non-event. Next week is the real thing but the FAI like the always are hungry for money. The stadium was tested last weekend for the rugby game and the world cup final which I was at was dummy tests. Last nights game didn't need to happen, it made money for the FAI and Utd, at the same made the LOI look like a pub league which it ain't.

It says to me the FAI don't 1. don't care about LOI football as much as they sau 2. money given to utd could have being used to improve LOI facilities and that of local club in the junior leagues in Ireland.

My home county in Wexford has one of the biggest leagues outside of Dublin and like many other junior clubs in Ireland. Funding is low and some clubs are going under. The FAI need to recheck their priorities and sharpish otherwise you could see a lot of people turning to other sports.

Leave the opening game as Ireland vs. Argentina next week. This game was a non-event. Next week is the real thing but the FAI like the always are hungry for money. The stadium was tested last weekend for the rugby game and the world cup final which I was at was dummy tests. Last nights game didn't need to happen, it made money for the FAI and Utd, at the same made the LOI look like a pub league which it ain't.

no, afaik they wanted a dry run before an international. The rugby game was done by the IRFU, not the FAI. They wanted a game themselves first before the first international and that makes sense tbh

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    no, afaik they wanted a dry run before an international. The rugby game was done by the IRFU, not the FAI. They wanted a game themselves first before the first international and that makes sense tbh

The FAI did a dry run with the 10,000 people that watched the World Cup Final. It was purely a financial money spinner because people in Ireland who are United fans were gulliable to pay 45-60 euro for a match where the quality of the opposition compared to United's side was not up to their standard.

Ireland, for our limitations will have a cracking game next week against Argentina and should of being the opener but the FAI as usual looking for a quick few squids. The truth is there for all to see last night was a farce and showed the FAI for what they truly are and at the expense of their own League that they run made the players that represented the LOI last night out to be pub players which they are not. Half of the players don't play with each other on a regular basis and a bit of perspective should have being the thought as what opposition should have played last night against Utd. Last night was cringeworthy stuff, as someone said earlier crash tv. All the utd fans singing ole ole was the cherry on top of shambles of a game.

RTE don't help the situation neither and last night they couldn't wait to stick it in, Giles, Sadlier and good old George Hamilton. Where were they during the summer when rovers, dundalk, bohs and fingal were playing games in Europe. Only when Rovers got Juventus did they fork out the cash. Systematic running of football in this country is a disgrace and its leader is shambles of a CEO. Until that changes, the national side which it might be rosy now but the future looks bleak unless something changes.

The FAI did a dry run with the 10,000 people that watched the World Cup Final. It was purely a financial money spinner because people in Ireland who are United fans were gulliable to pay 45-60 euro for a match where the quality of the opposition compared to United's side was not up to their standard.

Ireland, for our limitations will have a cracking game next week against Argentina and should of being the opener but the FAI as usual looking for a quick few squids.

10,000 is not a full stadium, requiring all stewards and bar staff etc working. pretty much every stadium in the world does this, i dont see why it is such a big issue.

of course they were looking for money, but they are no different to any other football association.
    they have to pay for the stadium, do you think they'd do it for free?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    :D Really? Who do you think gets the money then? The tooth fairy?

Last night was pure car crash tv.

Topped off by Man United fans singing "ole, ole".

Thanks for the laugh. :pac:

The money goes to Nike, not United. United don't get a penny from actual jersey sales, we signed a deal with United years ago (and has years left to run) that we get a fixed income every year from them and they get all the jersey money.

As for the United fans siging Ole Ole Ole.

It is a 'classic' Irish chant.

People bitch and moan about the fans there not supporting the LoI players, and when they did get some support, people bitch and moan about that.

Bitter, bitter, bitter little people.

The money goes to Nike, not United. United don't get a penny from actual jersey sales, we signed a deal with United years ago (and has years left to run) that we get a fixed income every year from them and they get all the jersey money.

As for the United fans siging Ole Ole Ole.

It is a 'classic' Irish chant.

People bitch and moan about the fans there not supporting the LoI players, and when they did get some support, people bitch and moan about that.

Bitter, bitter, bitter little people.

Mitch you must be the only supporter who thinks the Glazers wouldn't get any profits from any jerseys.

Have a look at your own commenting on a boycott:

http://www.trulyreds.com/20100714/nike-gives-another-reason-to-boycott-new-shirts/

"Many Manchester United fans decided to stop buying any club merchandise while the club is under The Glazers control and Nike designers have given United fans another reason to do so with their latest awful designs of United home and away kits."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ah here, it's very bad when you can't make a simple comment on what happened in a game.

Of course I didn't expect him to keep Valencia "in his pocket". I was just surprised at how badly he was outclassed. In times watching premiership sides play lower league English teams in the early rounds of cup competitions - or Irish sides in Europe for that matter - I've never seen a full back struggle so comprehensively.

Ye are assuming some sort of agenda that isn't there tbh.

Fair enough, I jumped in hastily. I didn't see the game. I would assume that playing in a team of strangers would be hard enough, let alone against a team as strong as United. Must also be very demoralizing to play in front of 40+ thousand Irish people cheering for the team that is far better than you too. Powell also seems to be a shadow of the player he was last year too. Sounds like he had a shocker.

On a general note; Outside of the usual LOI/EPL battles, I have to say that these match threads (see Juve/Rovers too) sadden me a little. The league is struggling because of lack of interest, but I always detect a weird mixture of impartiality (that is, people honestly expecting both teams to compete equally cf: that part-time centre-half really got embarrassed by that famous international midfielder who is on 100k a week, didn't he?) and strange nascent patriotism (some of the same people that denigrate the league here seem to imply that the league are embarrassing the country when they can't beat the biggest teams in the world and blow in to LOI threads to dispense pats on the back when they get a result).
    People like success, sort of like how more people watch Ireland games when they have qualified for a World Cup. Then people who never watch Ireland play in qualifiers/friendlies suddenly watch Ireland. Is that wrong?

Although I find this a betrayal of what football is about (even for some EPL supporters), fair play to you for being truthful and not hiding your motives behind a load of hogwash like my brother loved them/the bad facilities drove me away/I have no club near me etc etc.

• Advertisement

Mitch you must be the only supporter who thinks the Glazers wouldn't get any profits from any jerseys.

http://www.trulyreds.com/20100714/nike-gives-another-reason-to-boycott-new-shirts/

"Many Manchester United fans decided to stop buying any club merchandise while the club is under The Glazers control and Nike designers have given United fans another reason to do so with their latest awful designs of United home and away kits."

I don't care what other people think. The FACT is United signed a 300million deal with Nike. The deal handed over the merchandising rights to Nike, who get all profits from the sales, United get a fixed income of 23million per year.

People can think what they want, it does not stop them being wrong.

As for me being the only one that 'thinks' this, I am not. Plenty of the United fans on here know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I don't care what other people think. The FACT is United signed a 300million deal with Nike. The deal handed over the merchandising rights to Nike, who get all profits from the sales, United get a fixed income of 23million per year.

As for me being the only one that 'thinks' this, I am not. Plenty of the United fans on here know this.

At the very least, why not just make it an spiritual boycott, even if it has a negligible financial effect Be one less person wearing the shirt until y(our) club is restored to sane ownership? Even if the shirt sales are seen to drop dramatically, it's something.

Most people here don't seem bothered anyway: they seem happy to buy knock-off shirts when the club is in millions of debt. :D

If you have any factual information and genuine on that please link it because I can't believe that a club the size of Utd with a chief executive like David Gill would allow that to happen. I know Nike do have deals where other nike club shirts can be sold abroad from example in Barcelona's club shop you can buy Utd, Arsenal shirts in there. Unless that is a deal Utd have in place with Nike that you say but please do find that information for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Please add me to the list of people disillusioned by last night's farce which should never have happened.

The FAI let our league down badly and gave a slap in the face to Irish fans like me who have been spending considerable amounts supporting the LOI and national team through
    thick and thin.

I'm so annoyed by them that I couldn't be bothered supporting any more.
    Go find somebody else to pay for your new stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mitch I think you are wrong on the shirt sales.

Link
    The deal could be even more lucrative to United, who will get half of Nike's net profits generated from the licensing and retail operations, providing they stay in the top half of the Premiership and play in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Pal wrote: »
    Please add me to the list of people disillusioned by last night's farce which should never have happened.

The FAI let our league down badly and gave a slap in the face to Irish fans like me who have been spending considerable amounts supporting the LOI and national team through
    thick and thin.

I'm so annoyed by them that I couldn't be bothered supporting any more.
    Go find somebody else to pay for your new stadium.

So if they had decided to have Boh's V's UTD and held in the aviva and bohs got done 7/8-1 would you be as annoyed/disillusioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

How long does this deal run for?

Even if this is true, if you buy less shirts, Nike won't be sustaining a 23 million to United each year if they ain't getting it back in shirt sales.

Spud83 wrote: »
    Mitch I think you are wrong on the shirt sales.

Link

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I have always thought it was as Mitch describes. It is basically a sponsorship deal in effect. This is the BBC report when United and Nike agreed the deal. The boycott is in line with MUST asking United fans to avoid any of United's sponsors as that will not please the sponsors which would put the Glazers under corporate pressure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1005794.stm
    The world's richest football club, Manchester United, has signed a record-breaking £302.9m sponsorship and merchandising deal with US sports gear giant Nike.

The deal dwarfs previous Nike football sponsorship deals, such as its £7m a year sponsorship of Brazil's national team, and is thought to be the biggest of its kind ever signed.

It will effectively hand control of Manchester Utd's global replica-kit and merchandising business to the sportswear giant.

However, the amount paid to the club by Nike will be reduced if the team does not finish in the top half of the Premiership or take part in European competition.

Under the deal, Manchester Utd will grant exclusive rights to sponsor its gear, manufacture and sell its merchandise and operate Manchester United's existing retail operations.

The agreement starts on 1 August 2002 and will run for 13 years, althought Nike will have the option to end the arrangements in 2008.

Also the match last night was a good night. I don't see why people feel the need to always be extremely negative regarding anything involving United or Irish football. If John Delaney found a way to shít gold and puke up the cure for cancer some people would find fault with him. It was a good way to test the stadium before the international team play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

ntlbell wrote: »
    So if they had decided to have Boh's V's UTD and held in the aviva and bohs got done 7/8-1 would you be as annoyed/disillusioned?

The League of Ireland was shown up very badly by a complete mismatch in exchange for 30 pieces of silver. Well done FAI. I know you have money issues but ffs, have you no foresight or consideration for the wellbeing of Irish football at all ?

A meaningful fixture between two Irish clubs had considerable merit and may not have sold out however the greater good of Irish football would have been better served. The resources and goodwill gained would have gone back into the clubs too where it is needed most.
    Isn't that the duty of the custodians of our game ?

In reality, if that wasn't a runner the National Team should have played the opening match.

The IRFU played a meaningless exhibition game between two concocted Irish rugby teams and sold 30,000 tickets while the Dubs played in front of 60,000 at Croker.
    Well done IRFU and your supporters.

If the FAI really wanted a circus, they should have got Duffys.

I really think that they just don't care.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement