Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    That will be the most embarrassing thing about the game.

But what would beat that on an embarrassment level would be if your Irish supporting Hamburg. :rolleyes:

Btw this game should be called United Reserves Vs LoI XI. Can't see any sort of team being brought over.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Osu wrote: »
    But what would beat that on an embarrassment level would be if your Irish supporting Hamburg. :rolleyes:

Btw this game should be called United Reserves Vs LoI XI. Can't see any sort of team being brought over.
    It's a pre season friendly, why wouldn't they play first teamers?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

stovelid wrote: »
    I can go and see United anytime I want. I don't want Rovers players being released for **** ole-ole friendlies a few days before a derby game unless they're our own friendlies or charity games of course.

Completely understandable and i'd be the same way if it was MY team (Manchester United in case you are still a lil confused) but theres no reason it shouldnt be United over anyone else is all im saying.
    It's Manchester United though, not Bradford City?

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Btw this game should be called United Reserves Vs LoI Reserve XI. Can't see any sort of team being brought over.
    FYP. It's mid-LOI season - there's no way the LOI selection will be the strongest that would be otherwise available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

As has been said already, it is likely to be a LoI reserves XI too as the LOI is in full swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

What?!? Bradford never won anything.:confused: Why would anyone support them?

haha. dont get so upset mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

And anybody saying that this is good exposure for the local league is wrong.

Most of the best players won't be released from LOI clubs what with European and league games ongoing so even a United reserve team will no doubt completely thump the select which will be good for the United support but little else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What is your problem mate?. This is the 2nd time you've had a go at HSV/Its fans. I don't see what is embarrassing about supporting Hamburg. I've lived there ffs.

Again, my guess is that you are a Celtic fan that just can't get over the ''No surrender'' incident. Grow up already.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    What is your problem mate?. This is the 2nd time you've had a go at HSV/Its fans. I don't see what is embarrassing about supporting Hamburg. I've lived there ffs.

Again, my guess is that you are a Celtic fan that just can't get over the ''No surrender'' incident. Grow up already.

Nope I'm a United fan. Got tickets for the match at Nordbank Arena, went with a few mates.

Some of the sh*t they were singing was disgusting. Mainly about the Irish.

Scumbags.

Embarrassed for you.

Oatesy23's patriotism is clearly deficient.

He needs to start supporting a English or Scottish team as soon as possible to rectify this alarming situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Nope I'm a United fan. Got tickets for the match at Nordbank Arena, went with a few mates.

Scumbags.

Embarrassed for you.

Let's all just judge fans from whatever a small section do. How bout them United fans going to away games looking for a fist fight?. Scumbags. Why don't you check out a Rangers v Celtic game :rolleyes:.

If you were in the Celtic section you must have heard most of the sh*t THEY were singing at the German fans, but the BBC have no interested in reporting that.

/end of discussion, wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

And anybody saying that this is good exposure for the local league is wrong.

Most of the best players won't be released from LOI clubs what with European and league games ongoing so even a United reserve team will no doubt completely thump the select which will be good for the United support but little else.

I have heard a whisper we won't be. Derby two days later trumps any potential marketing gained from Twigg banging a couple in against Manure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Scumbags.

Embarrassed for you.

Embarrassed for you tbh. That's one hell of a holier than thou attitude you have there isn't it.

Every club have idiots for fans even United have idiots for fans as you have managed to prove here yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I have heard a whisper we won't be. Derby two days later trumps any potential marketing gained from Twigg banging a couple in against Manure.

You could be in Europe on the same night as this match too.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    You should be honoured the biggest club in the world are coming to open your stadium. Tickets for this are going to be hell to get hold of

The FAI could have had Man U or whoever is in vogue this week anytime.

Bear in mind this will be a reduced capacity event, so it makes even less sense they didn't do it later in the month. Rovers v Bohs in that slot with a cap of 30,000 on the 4th and the FAI fleecing the barstoolers two weeks later makes much more sense.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You could be in Europe on the same night as this match too.

Jesus, never thought of that.

So the FAI would have this potentially head to head with two Dublin teams in Europe on the same night? Mind boggles.

So the FAI would have this potentially head to head with two Dublin teams in Europe on the same night? Mind boggles.
    And while they'd be happy to **** around with our fixtures to suit, UEFA won't play along with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Oh dear god. Only the FAI could make this kind of a mess of things.

Apparently tickets for the two Ireland friendlies preceding this are 65 and 85 quid and can only be bought in a bundle. You get priority to the United game if you fork out for these.

Talk about a fleece job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

If the clubs don't let their best players play in this (which is what will hopefully happen), the LOI XI could get hockeyed by the Manchester Utd XI.

On the other hand, if the FAI encourage (force) the clubs to release their best players for a mid-season friendly, the FAI will become even more unpopular with LOI fans, the players are highly unlikely to be up for it and will mostly be aiming to just avoid getting injured.

Should be a great match. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why would it be more embarrassing to support a german team over an english team?:confused:

Apparently tickets for the two Ireland friendlies preceding this are 65 and 85 quid and can only be bought in a bundle. You get priority to the United game if you fork out for these.

Talk about a fleece job.

Good.

If the clubs don't let their best players play in this (which is what will hopefully happen), the LOI XI could get hockeyed by the Manchester Utd XI.

On the other hand, if the FAI encourage (force) the clubs to release their best players for a mid-season friendly, the FAI will become even more unpopular with LOI fans, the players are highly unlikely to be up for it and will mostly be aiming to just avoid getting injured.

Should be a great match. :rolleyes:
    In a horrible accident, Paul Keegan somehow manages to break team mate Gary Twigg's leg

:p

On the other hand, if the FAI encourage (force) the clubs to release their best players for a mid-season friendly

I doubt very much they could get away with forcing clubs to release players for a friendly in the thick of the league and European campaigns.

I doubt very much they could get away with forcing clubs to release players for a friendly in the thick of the league and European campaigns.
    I don't doubt that they'll try though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

You'd think so but...
    I don't doubt that they'll try though

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

At the end of the day, the LOI teams won't be releasing their players due to their European involvement and the ones who aren't involved, can. The FAI aren't worried about it either because the fact that United are coming to town, they'll sell out anyway with or without the LOI best players and the FAI don't care about the result of the match, they just care it selling out which it will and about the money. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The LoI players on show won't sell any tickets. It doesn't matter a damn who they are. might as well pick up a few park players for all it matters in terms of generating ticket sales. no need to worry about the leagues finest being stolen from their clubs to take part.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

In a horrible accident, Paul Keegan somehow manages to break team mate Gary Twigg's leg

:p

Even on crutches, he'd outpace Boez' centre-halves though, so no bother.. :pac:

dfx- wrote: »
    Even on crutches, he'd outpace Boez' centre-halves though, so no bother.. :pac:
    Even on crutches he'd be better than your other options ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Barstoolers wet dream tbh, would have preferred a LoI XI -v- Oirland.

From the piece on rte.ie, wtf
    Tickets for this game will go on sale in June. Supporters who purchase Republic of Ireland v Paraguay and Algeria tickets on May 25 and May 28 will be guaranteed first option for Manchester United tickets.

Should there not be a LoI ticket buying incentive!? Oh wait! :roll:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Gas.

Such a horrible situation for the LOI.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    The LoI players on show won't sell any tickets. It doesn't matter a damn who they are.
    That's not really the point. In the likely event the the LOI XI are drawn from Mervue and Salthill's respective U21 squads, the United XI will rack up a cricket score, thus strengthening the audience's preconception that the LOI is muck. Not exactly good publicity, despite the FAI's claims to the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

djpbarry wrote: »
    That's not really the point. In the likely event the the LOI XI are drawn from Mervue and Salthill's respective U21 squads, the United XI will rack up a cricket score, thus strengthening the audience's preconception that the LOI is muck. Not exactly good publicity, despite the FAI's claims to the contrary.

I agree with that. I was talking about the point being made that the FAI might try and take players a few days before important derbies or european games. I don't think it will be an issue as I'd say the FAI aren't concerned who shows up for the LoI team.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I agree with that. I was talking about the point being made that the FAI might try and take players a few days before important derbies or european games. I don't think it will be an issue as I'd say the FAI aren't concerned who shows up for the LoI team.
    Oh, absolutely. The money's in getting Utd - who they play against is completely irrelevant. Although by opting for a LOI selection, it makes it appear that the FAI have the domestic game's interests at heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Am I right in saying at the end of this season the clubs have to vote on whether to have the FAI carry on running the league? This should be the final nail in a ridiculous amount of reasons to vote them out imo.

Oatesy23's patriotism is clearly deficient.

He needs to start supporting a English or Scottish team as soon as possible to rectify this alarming situation.

What a load of rubbish. When did I say anything about Patriotism?

I merely pointed out that their fans targeted the Irish for no reason.
    deisedevil wrote: »
    Embarrassed for you tbh. That's one hell of a holier than thou attitude you have there isn't it.

Every club have idiots for fans even United have idiots for fans as you have managed to prove here yourself.

Oh dear. :rolleyes:

Yeah about 40,000 HSV fans singing sectarian songs. Wise up will you.

/Off Topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Agree that this is looking like disaster for the LoI clubs, but on the flipside if they were to beat Utd I'd imagine it create a good bit of publicity and do the league some good.

Agree that this is looking like disaster for the LoI clubs, but on the flipside if they were to beat Utd I'd imagine it create a good bit of publicity and do the league some good.
    40000+ goons cheering on a foreign team against a team made up of their own can do the league no good whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

And they won't win either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

CSF wrote: »
    40000+ goons cheering on a foreign team against a team made up of their own can do the league no good whatsoever.
    Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Dumbest. Post. Ever.
    Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Thread has been a wonderful way of pinpointing a few of the d*ckheads that had flown under the watchful eye of the retard filter.

Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

40,000+ Irish people cheering for an English Club in the Irish National Stadium against a selection of League of Ireland players.

Highlighted the main points there for you MagicMarker, if you still can't see CSF's point I'll post my spare of glasses over to you in Manchester, oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

And 10k Bohs and Shams fans at Lansdowne would have done wonders for the league.

This game may not do the irish league too many favours, but that will be more down to the FAI inevitably not taking proper advantage of the situation and doing some decent league promotion.

Did you hear the following week a team of ARGENTINIAN internationals, that have nothing to do with the Irish league are going to be playing a game at the stadium too, also against some select group of irish players. Dumb fai eh - should have been Pats vs Shels.

40,000+ Irish people cheering for an English Club in the Irish National Stadium against a selection of League of Ireland players.

Highlighted the main points there for you MagicMarker, if you still can't see CSF's point I'll post my spare of glasses over to you in Manchester, oh wait!

is it fall capacity game? I thought it was 25k.

I'll do what I have done every time i have seen an irish team play an english side - support the irish side and hope they do well. I'll love seeing United play, and I'll want to see the 'big stars', but i'll certainly be hoping the league 11 make a good show of themselves.

Everytime I have seen a irish side play an english team, the irish team have been cheered on - the irish freaking love an underdog. I would imagine this game will be little different to be honest. No United fan will start booing the league 11 or anything like that.

And 10k Bohs and Shams fans at Lansdowne would have done wonders for the league.

This game may not do the irish league too many favours, but that will be more down to the FAI inevitably not taking proper advantage of the situation and doing some decent league promotion.

Did you hear the following week a team of ARGENTINIAN internationals, that have nothing to do with the Irish league are going to be playing a game at the stadium too, also against some select group of irish players. Dumb fai eh - should have been Pats vs Shels.
    Cop on, international football is international football, this game is designed to appease barstoolers, the exact kind of people the FAI should be trying to convert. Convert them by bringing over their favourite team for them to support? No sense whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Dumbest. Post. Ever.
    On the contrary, it is a fair point.
    Irl 11 V LOI 11 a far better idea = 40000 + paddies in a paddy stadium cheering on a bunch of paddies! Not the worst idea in the world;)

Cop on, international football is international football, this game is designed to appease barstoolers, the exact kind of people the FAI should be trying to convert. Convert them by bringing over their favourite team for them to support? No sense whatsoever.

how else you will attempt to convert them?

Seriously? what would your practical approach have been?

1. LoI team vs LoI team will only attract LoI fans - no barstooler conversion.
    2. LoI team vs Ireland National Side - not going to happen cause the clubs won't release their players on a non sanctioned international date. Wouldn't happen - no barstooler conversion. on an international date you'd be possibly seen as wasting proper prep time for the euro qualifiers.

For me, the best way to do it would be bring over the team that will get the most fans in teh stadium and the most media coverage, pit them against a league side (i'd have probably tried to get a proper league side as opposed to a select 11) and market the crap out of the league on the night, ensure anyone broadcasting it has to advertise the league. Offer concessions to those going to the game at a league ground that weekend and the following weekend (maybe kids in free at all league grounds, with the clubs reimbursed off money made from the United game) Have events on the match day and in the lead up to kick off that includes the kids and promotes the league (win family tickets to certain grounds that weekend, team jerseys etc)

As I said before, this game may do nothing for the Irish league, but that will more so be because the FAI won't put the effort in to promote the league off the back of the game. They'll be happy to make their money and leave it at that. That is the FAI's true failing imo - they simply don't do enough to promote the game and get people hooked on the local game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

BLAH

brits_out_of_ireland_sticker-p217904731499010881qjcl_400.jpg

Chip.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement