Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

how else you will attempt to convert them?

Seriously? what would your practical approach have been?

1. LoI team vs LoI team will only attract LoI fans - no barstooler conversion.
    2. LoI team vs Ireland National Side - not going to happen cause the clubs won't release their players on a non sanctioned international date. Wouldn't happen - no barstooler conversion. on an international date you'd be possibly seen as wasting proper prep time for the euro qualifiers.

For me, the best way to do it would be bring over the team that will get the most fans in teh stadium and the most media coverage, pit them against a league side (i'd have probably tried to get a proper league side as opposed to a select 11) and market the crap out of the league on the night, ensure anyone broadcasting it has to advertise the league. Offer concessions to those going to the game at a league ground that weekend and the following weekend (maybe kids in free at all league grounds, with the clubs reimbursed off money made from the United game) Have events on the match day and in the lead up to kick off that includes the kids and promotes the league (win family tickets to certain grounds that weekend, team jerseys etc)

As I said before, this game may do nothing for the Irish league, but that will more so be because the FAI won't put the effort in to promote the league off the back of the game. They'll be happy to make their money and leave it at that. That is the FAI's true failing imo - they simply don't do enough to promote the game and get people hooked on the local game.
    LOI vs LOI team would have been the most preferable, sure there'd be a lower attendance, but there would be neutrals there, I've no doubt of that. And it doesn't come with the inevitability of a generation more kids seeing Rooney etc. in the flesh and becoming a barstooler of the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

CSF wrote: »
    LOI vs LOI team would have been the most preferable, sure there'd be a lower attendance, but there would be neutrals there, I've no doubt of that. And it doesn't come with the inevitability of a generation more kids seeing Rooney etc. in the flesh and becoming a barstooler of the future.
    LOI vs LOI team?

How exactly would that help the league?

UTD will attract a full house, the majority of which probably wouldn't watch LOI. Well that very well may change once they get to see a LOI 11 in action.

LOI vs LOI team?

How exactly would that help the league?

UTD will attract a full house, the majority of which probably wouldn't watch LOI. Well that very well may change once they get to see a LOI 11 in action.
    If they're there to support United, thats exactly what they'll do, and continue to do, especially after seeing United comfortably dispatch that 'bunch of pub players'. A League Of Ireland game will actually bring neutrals, and the thing about neutrals is, they rarely stay neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

but surely all the barstoolers will be ehm, sitting on barstools somewhere??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how many neutrals would you have reckoned? I think it would have been a bloody low number. what overall attendance would you have expected? if you want to say that it would be a chance to see the stadium (as their reason for going) then I would simply say the national side are playing Argentina the following week and they'd be far more likely to go to that. Also, as I said previously, how would that have converted any barstoolers (something you yourself pointed out as a possible goal for the game). Any neutrals would surely already be LoI fans, just of teams other than those playing on the day. No conversion prospects there.

An LoI vs LoI game wouldn't have done all that much imo, and wouldn't have tested the crowd control and security measures sufficiently (one of the reasons for the game).

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »
    but surely all the barstoolers will be ehm, sitting on barstools somewhere??
    Not when United come to town, thats the annual day out.
    how many neutrals would you have reckoned? I think it would have been a bloody low number. what overall attendance would you have expected? if you want to say that it would be a chance to see the stadium (as their reason for going) then I would simply say the national side are playing Argentina the following week and they'd be far more likely to go to that. Also, as I said previously, how would that have converted any barstoolers (something you yourself pointed out as a possible goal for the game). Any neutrals would surely already be LoI fans, just of teams other than those playing on the day. No conversion prospects there.

An LoI vs LoI game wouldn't have done all that much imo, and wouldn't have tested the crowd control and security measures sufficiently (one of the reasons for the game).
    A League Of Ireland game in the Aviva Stadium, would definitely attract alot of interest.

If they're there to support United, thats exactly what they'll do, and continue to do, especially after seeing United comfortably dispatch that 'bunch of pub players'. A League Of Ireland game will actually bring neutrals, and the thing about neutrals is, they rarely stay neutral.

you saying you reckon a load of Celtic, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Barcelona etc fans would have gone to see a Shams vs Bohs game at Lansdowne? I really doubt that - I would certainly say not in any significant numbers.

If you mean LoI fans simply neutral to the two teams, then they will continue to support Pats, Shels etc.

If you mean people neutral to football in general, then they simply aren't going to be interested in going, given they are neutral to football.

What neutrals are you thinking would go see an LoI game in decent numbers (and why do you not think they are going to LoI games in general...)

So a subsection of football fans who are pilloried for not going to their teams games, turn out for the game that it's practical and affordable for them to go to, and they get pilloried for that as well?

As I said way back in the thread, this is a purely financial decision, like most that involve any business in football these days.

you saying you reckon a load of Celtic, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Barcelona etc fans would have gone to see a Shams vs Bohs game at Lansdowne? I really doubt that - I would certainly say not in any significant numbers.

If you mean LoI fans simply neutral to the two teams, then they will continue to support Pats, Shels etc.

If you mean people neutral to football in general, then they simply aren't going to be interested in going, given they are neutral to football.

What neutrals are you thinking would go see an LoI game in decent numbers (and why do you not think they are going to LoI games in general...)
    The first bunch you mentioned. Plenty seemed interested when the idea was first mooted a few months ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A League Of Ireland game in the Aviva Stadium, would definitely attract alot of interest.

Yeah, to LOI supporters. What are you not getting about this? :confused:

• Advertisement

why? Why on earth would it attrack A LOT of interest? Please, explain your reasoning. I'm not trying to wind you up, actually interested in your take on this from a business and promotional aspect.

If it had been an LoI team or LoI select team vs a more foreign side - such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan etc - would you hold the same opinion (teams that will attract fans without having a massive following within the country right now). As they would attract a lot of fans who would indeed be more neutral to the event. Is the issue, mainly, that it is United (and would have been the same for Liverpool as example) and thus will attract a large number of actual United fans?

So a subsection of football fans who are pilloried for not going to their teams games, turn out for the game that it's practical and affordable for them to go to, and they get pilloried for that as well?
    Ah cmon. You know thats not the issue full well.

The first bunch you mentioned. Plenty seemed interested when the idea was first mooted a few months ago.

in that case, I simply disagree with you - i don't think you'd have got a significant number of non LoI fans interested in the game. As I say, there is an international game on the following week, and if the attraction is to see the stadium, they'd be more likely to be looking for tickets for that.

why? Why on earth would it attrack A LOT of interest? Please, explain your reasoning. I'm not trying to wind you up, actually interested in your take on this from a business and promotional aspect.

If it had been an LoI team or LoI select team vs a more foreign side - such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Milan etc - would you hold the same opinion (teams that will attract fans without having a massive following within the country right now). As they would attract a lot of fans who would indeed be more neutral to the event. Is the issue, mainly, that it is United (and would have been the same for Liverpool as example) and thus will attract a large number of actual United fans?
    It would attract alot of interest in the same way that Shamrock Rovers have, and the Dublin derby has. Bill something successfully enough as a big occasion and you will get Irish people to go, if you can get people talking about it at work, you'll have people going. The game being in the Aviva stadium would do that, of course it would have to be Bohs-Rovers, because thats a big occasion in itself.

Yes the fact that it would attract Irish United fans is a massive issue. The FAI should be discouraging this kind of thing as best they can. They're here to promote Irish football, not whatever football Irish people like the best.

It would attract alot of interest in the same way that Shamrock Rovers have, and the Dublin derby has. Bill something successfully enough as a big occasion and you will get Irish people to go, if you can get people talking about it at work, you'll have people going. The game being in the Aviva stadium would do that, of course it would have to be Bohs-Rovers, because thats a big occasion in itself.

Yes the fact that it would attract Irish United fans is a massive issue. The FAI should be discouraging this kind of thing as best they can. They're here to promote Irish football, not whatever football Irish people like the best.

The bit in bold is the real issue behind all of this.

The FAI are in place to promote Irish football. They can best do this with significant financial clout and revenues behind them to support grass roots football, the international team and everything else that a national organisation has to pay for.

This is a once off opportunity to swell the coffers by €2-€3m and they are therefore taking the lesser of two evils. Inviting a gauranteed draw team in order to sell out the stadium, programmes etc. Rather than risk making €1m less that they would have used in order to support grass roots football etc etc

The FAI are in place to promote Irish football. They can best do this with significant financial clout and revenues behind them to support grass roots football, the international team and everything else that a national organisation has to pay for.

This is a once off opportunity to swell the coffers by €2-€3m and they are therefore taking the lesser of two evils. Inviting a gauranteed draw team in order to sell out the stadium, programmes etc. Rather than risk making €1m less that they would have used in order to support grass roots football etc etc
    The minnowism attached to this and subservience to the Premiership and the inferiority complex that the United fans at this will show is negligible for far more than that 1 million less imo. If the LOI XI won, fair enough, but that isn't going to happen, and the league will be the laughing stock for idiots nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's it sorted then.

The FAI get their finger out with the marketing and 40000 United fans leave the Aviva as LOI fans.

Could be dangerous though. Where we put them all?

stovelid wrote: »
    That's it sorted then.

FAI get their finger out with the marketing and 40000 United fans leave the Aviva as LOI fans.

and a LoI team vs an LoI team would have converted.... who exactly?

I'm not saying that thousands upon thousands of United fans would suddenly start supporting an LoI team thanks to a bit of marketing on the day. But there is a chance you could convince a decent number, especially families, to go along to LoI games AS WELL as supporting United, if teh league was promoted correctly and some deals were put in place. No less a chance than an LoI exclusive tie - which would mainly have attracted people who already have an interest in LoI football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Where we put them all?

Belfield.

This is true but being the football association of our land means more than bean-counting. It means vision and principles too. There is no use getting money in for the grass-roots, when at a fell swoop, you are simultaneously kicking the domestic game in the bollocks again.

I'm surprised that even people who support the game aren't even perturbed by the fact that people are basically being told to stump about 150+ quid for two friendlies to guarantee a united ticket.

• Advertisement

and a LoI team vs an LoI team would have converted.... who exactly?

I don't care about conversion in the case of this game. The vast majority of attendees at a game like this are not for turning. The vast majority of people at this game will never support an Irish club unless they play at premiership level. Please stop kidding yourself and insulting the intelligence of people here with your homilies on building the game here for people who have zero interest.

The FAI can do plenty to promote the game here.

I don't care about conversion in the case of this game. The vast majority of attendees at a game like this are not for turning. The vast majority of people at this game will never support an Irish club unless they play at premiership level. Please stop kidding yourself and insulting the intelligence of people here with your homilies on building the game here for people who have zero interest.

The FAI can do plenty to promote the game here.

So if the game couldn't be used to promote the game, regardless of who was participating in it, what exactly is your problem then? If the game couldn't be used as a promotional tool (cause the Real Madrid one for Shams last summer was so unsuccessful) then the only reasons for it are money and testing of crowd control - which will be FAR better served by this game than a LoI team vs an LoI team.

So if the game couldn't be used to promote the game, regardless of who was participating in it, what exactly is your problem then? If the game couldn't be used as a promotional tool (cause the Real Madrid one for Shams last summer was so unsuccessful) then the only reasons for it are money and testing of crowd control - which will be FAR better served by this game than a LoI team vs an LoI team.
    The problem (well one of them) is that its promoting support of a foreign side, which more often than not is at the expense of our own sides.

The Madrid game was different, Mitch.

Although it wasn't a Rovers gig, the whole idea of it was that Madrid came to Tallaght. The Mountain came to Mohamed, if you like. Most importantly, Rovers got dibs on half the tickets making sure we could showcase the LOI supporter culture to all and sundry. That day, the LOI and Madrid got equally billing. Even better was that the media got behind the whole David and Goliath thing.

This friendly is an FAI and United beano with the majority of supporters likely to be United. The LOI select will be very much a supporting cast in the FAI's ground.

For an idea of how sore we must feel, imagine the FA staged a cash-booster friendly slap in the middle of Champions League and EPL fixtures and expected the likes of Rooney, Gerard and Lampard to play. For added hilarity, imagine the friendly was 2-3 days before a United-Liverpool game with both teams slugging it out in the top half of the table at the time. For even more hilarity, imagine that the friendly was even in danger of clashing with a United European tie.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

For an idea of how sore we must feel, imagine the FA staged a cash-booster friendly slap in the middle of Champions League and EPL fixtures and expected the likes of Rooney, Gerard and Lampard to play. For added hilarity, imagine the friendly was 2-3 days before a United-Liverpool game with both teams slugging it out in the top half of the table at the time. For even more hilarity, imagine that the friendly was even in danger of clashing with a United European tie.....

A premiership XI vs the Barcelona superstars perhaps to open Wembley? No other country would be pathetic enough to try a stunt like that. And that's what this game is, a pathetic inditement of football "support" in this country.

The FAI has no interest in the LOI or grass roots football here. The only thing the FAI is interested in is what exotic destination their next junket will be.

A premiership XI vs the Barcelona superstars perhaps to open Wembley? No other country would be pathetic enough to try a stunt like that. And that's what this game is, a pathetic inditement of football "support" in this country.

The FAI has no interest in the LOI or grass roots football here. The only thing the FAI is interested in is what exotic destination their next junket will be.

Apart from all of the countries in SE Asia that have done it over the years against United/Liverpool/Chelsea/whoever happens to be touring there that summer.

I genuinely understand where you're coming from btw, and if the FAI wasn't a business that is primarily concerned with generating revenues to cover it's costs then I don't think this is the game they would choose to open the stadium.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money is everything and so we have the game in question.

I genuinely understand where you're coming from btw, and if the FAI wasn't a business that is primarily concerned with generating revenues to cover it's costs then I don't think this is the game they would choose to open the stadium.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money is everything and so we have the game in question.

It's motived purely by the hole they've dug themselves into with the stadium and the poor showing of their vantage deal. And it could be the final straw for some league clubs. Hopefully a show of solidarity between clubs will ensure that no players are released for the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If only 1000 of the 40000 EPL fans left the stadium with an interest in going to more LoI games it'd be a huge thing.

The top 11 in the Airtricity league is probably at least a championship standard, so they could put up a decent fight, especially considering its a pre-season friendly for United. Should they play well and good attractive football, they could get quite a few people starting to go to LoI games more and more.

PHB wrote: »
    If only 1000 of the 40000 EPL fans left the stadium with an interest in going to more LoI games it'd be a huge thing.

The top 11 in the Airtricity league is probably at least a championship standard, so they could put up a decent fight, especially considering its a pre-season friendly for United. Should they play well and good attractive football, they could get quite a few people starting to go to LoI games more and more.
    Of course it'd be a huge thing, but it won't happen.

And the standard of the 11 players isn't particularly relevant, most of them will have never played together, they'll be stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Of course it'd be a huge thing, but it won't happen.

And the standard of the 11 players isn't particularly relevant, most of them will have never played together, they'll be stuffed.
    And it's a big assumption to think it will actually be the top 11 players. I know I don't want any bohs players in it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Osu wrote: »
    Oh dear. :rolleyes:
    Yeah about 40,000 HSV fans singing sectarian songs. Wise up will you.
    /Off Topic

Shut up son, please. It's getting silly now.

45,000 fans at the Nordbank, 4,000 celtic fans. So are you really saying all but 1,000 HSV fans were singing sectarian songs?.

Come on now. Stop spatting absolute bullsh*t about my team, I have been a Hamburg fan for years and they are some of the nicest fans you will ever meet, bar the scum element THAT EXISTS AT EVERY F**KING CLUB IN THE WORLD.

It's laughable that you say ''about'' 40,000 HSV fans were singing sectarian songs. Considering the amount of kids that support the team with their parents and OAP's that are at the games. They were at it too were they?.

Apologies to the lads that don't give a damn about this conversation, but when someone starts giving me crap and bad mouthing fellow fans of my team I will respond. I know if it was a team that has many fans on here it would happen too. Again, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

And it's a big assumption to think it will actually be the top 11 players. I know I don't want any bohs players in it.

Let Bray play them, that 31-0 could easily be beaten by half time.

Depending on how we are doing in our relegation battle i wouldnt want any of our players playing. But the evil bastid in me wants to see Mulcahy vs United just for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

A opportunity to promote the game here turned into a day trip for the ole ole brigade.

Barstoolers wet dream tbh, would have preferred a LoI XI -v- Oirland.

As much as I hate United its people like the above that would nearly have me cheering them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

No chance any of our players will be anywhere near this wankfest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

As much as I hate United its people like the above that would nearly have me cheering them on.

I'm surprised you let the opinions of a couple of people on an Internet forum affect you that much

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    No chance any of our players will be anywhere near this wankfest

Have the FAI done this without any consultation with the Airtricity League clubs, just assuming they will get the players they want released?

I would have thought part of the setup for this game would have involved insuring they would get some decent players released, or are the simply banking on getting 18 players of some standard released and the majority of fans at the game no knowing the difference?

As an aside, if the game was taken seriously and the clubs (and fans of the clubs) did not have a problem with it, what side do you think would be selected? Who would make up the best 11 the airtricity league could put on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Be like the Rovers Real Madrid game. For instance, Twigg only came on in the last few minutes as a crowd pleaser.

The clubs are realistic, they don't want to risk players for a friendly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It's down to cash cash cash money money money.

Would a LOI V Ireland team fill the Aviva? Possibly. But getting United practically guarantee's a full house.

Would a LOI V Ireland team fill the Aviva? Possibly. But getting United practically guarantee's a full house.

For me, there was never really a chance of Ireland being involved - the clubs would not release their players for the game unless they had to imo (same could happen with the Airtricity 11 team).

I think it was a straight choice between a LoI game, or a game involving the LoI and a foreign side doing their preseason. The game against the foreign side is going to make a lot more money and get a lot more people in. The problem is, from discussions on this thread, that the foreign side picked have a massive following in Ireland, so the support will be for them as opposed to the LoI side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

the LOI side in this case I can see being made of up a load of fringe players. They will not get the top names for this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Sure Ireland are playing Paraguay and Algeria at the RDS and tickets are still available. Is this because it is only being played at the RDS? Would this have sold out at the Avivia? I doubt it. Would a LoI v Ireland fill the Aviva, unfortunately I doubt that too.

Fact of the matter is, people want to see the star players and that's what United will bring as they gear themselves for the new campaign. There are many parents like myself and my son is obsessed with Man United and this is the perfect opportunity for me to make his day in seeing Manchester United as at the moment, I can't afford to bring him to see a match over there.

My son loves football, as I do and mayb e more as he will watch any match possible just to see a ball being kicked around but if I asked him, well son, ManU are playing tonight and so is Bohs v however for example, I already know who he is going to want to see.

The FAI also know this and they know that they will pack out the place with peopel from all over the country who are in the same boat as myself and will make their money out of it.

I don't see why this match is attracting so much negativity really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

So there sayin if you buy tickets for the two game pack for the Ireland matchs you will get tickets for the United game for sure.......

Does that mean you get the same amount of tickets for the united game as u actually purchased for the Ireland games???
    Or are you just gonna get first dibs on the united tickets when go on sale?
    Like presale for a concert

Interestin...

So there sayin if you buy tickets for the two game pack for the Ireland matchs you will get tickets for the United game for sure.......

Does that mean you get the same amount of tickets for the united game as u actually purchased for the Ireland games???
    Or are you just gonna get first dibs on the united tickets when go on sale?
    Like presale for a concert

Interestin...

I am nearly sure that it will be that if you buy a pair of tickets for the Ireland games, that will entitle you to one ticket to the LoI 11 v ManU game as it was for the Ireland v France afaik.

As an aside, if the game was taken seriously and the clubs (and fans of the clubs) did not have a problem with it, what side do you think would be selected? Who would make up the best 11 the airtricity league could put on show.

I think a decent select from the LOI could well acquit itself OK, seeing as we would be mid-season, and especially as the United team would not be full-strength.

Another thing to consider on top of the fixture congestion is that most LOI clubs (through financial necessity) will all be lining up summer friendlies anyway.

I am nearly sure that it will be that if you buy a pair of tickets for the Ireland games, that will entitle you to one ticket to the LoI 11 v ManU game as it was for the Ireland v France afaik.

Thats a bit gay to be honest i mean if i was to do it this way i would bring me little brother and probley me da along to the Ireland matchs and me and me brother are both united fans so if i went united match would want him there to. To be honest if there giving you one ticket for sure then how is anyone gonna bring another person with them and sit beside them??

Thats a bit gay to be honest i mean if i was to do it this way i would bring me little brother and probley me da along to the Ireland matchs and me and me brother are both united fans so if i went united match would want him there to. To be honest if there giving you one ticket for sure then how is anyone gonna bring another person with them and sit beside them??

It measn that you will have to buy 2 pairs of tickets for the Ireland v Paraguay and Ireland v Algeria to get a pair of tickets for the LoI 11 v ManU game.

It'll get more people to the RDS games which hasn't sold out yet.

It measn that you will have to buy 2 pairs of tickets for the Ireland v Paraguay and Ireland v Algeria to get a pair of tickets for the LoI 11 v ManU game.

It'll get more people to the RDS games which hasn't sold out yet.

So 3 tickets for the 2match pack would get you 3 tickets to the United game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

My son loves football, as I do and mayb e more as he will watch any match possible just to see a ball being kicked around but if I asked him, well son, ManU are playing tonight and so is Bohs v however for example, I already know who he is going to want to see.

Bohs play on fridays and Man United play on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. :confused:

doncarlos wrote: »
    Bohs play on fridays and Man United play on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. :confused:

Think he just meant as an example that if bohs where playin on same nite as united his son would pick united.

doncarlos wrote: »

Sorry, maybe I was a bit confusing there.

I used the example to say if the 2 matches where being playing at the same time on the same day, I know who he would prefer to see and that would be Man United.

Actually, I'd say that if parents were to ask their kids in general, what game they would rather see, I would think that most of them would go for the bigger sounding match and unfortunately the LoI games aren't the bigger sounding games to our kids.

I think that most parents might agree if they are honest enough. If a poll was put up where parents asked their kids the same question and the parents honestly put in the correct vote, I'm sure that most young kids would rather go see the bigger names playing and the poll would reflect that.

Sure as a footballer, you want to be playing against the best and show what you can do against the best and people who want to watch football, they want to see the best players playing.

Isn't that why we'll be watching the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Ribery, Drogba and the rest at the World Cup.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement