Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

When is the ownership of the league up for auction again?
    This season is the last season on the current run.

I hope proper "league minded" people can step in and do it some justice.

A committee of club chairmen or something.

Or the ghost of Ollie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sadlier maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Remember John Delaney doing a interview on Radio 1 talking about their takeover of the league.

He said that get back to me at the end of the our tenure and see how we've done.

RTE/MNS should get that interview from the archive and play it back as we are coming up to the end of the contract. Will make for good debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I hope UEFA refuse to move Bohs possible game.

I thought the FAI had a contract to run the league for five years, so that means they're in charge til the end of next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sadlier maybe?

Not sure Richie wants anything to do with Irish football again. That said, I spotted himself and Roddy at Rovers-UCD on Friday...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/smallmindedness-that-drove-me-out-of-irish-football-2182022.html

Small-mindedness that drove me out of Irish football

By Richard Sadlier
    Sunday May 16 2010

It was a level of exposure that money can't buy. Cristiano Ronaldo's Real Madrid debut was to happen on Irish soil in a League of Ireland ground.

Although most people would tune in to see Real Madrid rather than Shamrock Rovers, the fixture presented an opportunity for the domestic game to figure in at least the conversations of Irish football fans all over the country for the first time in a long time.

However, a request from local rivals Bohemians the month before left me stunned. It was the phone call which brought about my decision to quit the League of Ireland.

In a staggering display of small-mindedness and self-interest, I was asked to lend my support, and that of St Patrick's Athletic, to a formal objection by Bohs against the game going ahead. Their concern was that the game would affect the attendance at their Champions League game two nights later if they were drawn to play at home in the first leg. St Pat's were due to play in the Europa League the night after that (though we could also have been drawn away first) and they figured I would be of a like mind.

Due to dealings with both of last season's Champions League finalists, domestic football made it on to the back pages again last week. Manchester United are lined up to play an Airtricity League selection on August 4 in what will be the first football game at the Aviva Stadium. Contracted to bringing their big-name players, the game will surely sell out. Barcelona, on the other hand, have been denied permission by the FAI to play Limerick four days earlier in Thomond Park. Limerick are now believed to have initiated legal correspondence with the FAI as a result.

As ever, the FAI have their reasons. Firstly, they say the date just doesn't suit. The claim that such fixtures cannot be played on dates which clash with domestic games can be dismissed out of hand when you consider what's going on the week the Manchester United friendly has been given the go-ahead. The semi-finals of the League Cup are due to be played two nights before, Bohemians could be involved in the Champions League the same night, up to three clubs could have Europa League fixtures the following night, while all clubs have league fixtures the night after that. The Barcelona friendly, meanwhile, would have clashed with Sligo v Dundalk, a game which attracted 1,800 fans five weeks ago.

Secondly, they're objecting to the involvement of a third party, believed to be a UK-based agency. No such objections existed when Platinum One arranged last summer's friendly between Real and Shamrock Rovers, so that's utter nonsense.

And finally, they say they have been in negotiations to bring Barcelona to the country themselves. That the national association would put profit for themselves ahead of a money-spinner for a club which almost went out of business last year beggars belief. They say it is "regrettable", though shameful would be nearer the mark.

Having said that, you would think their decision to invite a selection of the best players in the league to play against Manchester United would excite domestic clubs and fans alike. It seems you'd be very wrong. Message boards and forums have been filled all week with fans venting their rage that the League of Ireland would be demeaned by playing a meaningless game designed to please 'bar-stool fans' of the Premier League. Managers are concerned their players will pick up injuries, CEOs are annoyed there was no formal consultation at any point in the process, and the lack of clarity on ticket allocations has infuriated everyone. Clubs have yet to be told if any will be available to sell directly to their fans, with one club being told last week it would be very unlikely. And you can imagine how Limerick feel about it.

Nonetheless, the fixture represents an opportunity for league players to perform in front of more people on one day than the total number of fans who have watched their 14 league games so far this season. No trophies are at stake and the result is irrelevant, but the game will attract more attention than any they have played in before. Promoting the League is an ongoing struggle for all, but the reality is the big crowds stay away until foreign opponents arrive. There is no likelihood of that scenario changing any time soon, so maximising the PR and financial gains from all such opportunities is essential for everyone involved.

Whether the FAI do the right thing and reverse the decision on the Barcelona game remains to be seen, but they have somehow arrived at a juncture where making the correct decision will make them look even worse.

If enough managers withhold their players from the Manchester United game due to the immediate needs of their own, the capacity crowd will come away with even less of an opinion on the domestic game than they had before they arrived. Both scenarios are hard to believe possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

stovelid wrote: »
    CEOs are annoyed there was no formal consultation at any point in the process, and the lack of clarity on ticket allocations has infuriated everyone. Clubs have yet to be told if any will be available to sell directly to their fans, with one club being told last week it would be very unlikely.

From the FAI website:
    Supporters who purhcase a two match ticket for Paraguay and Algeria will be entitled to the option to purchase two tickets for the Airtricity League XI v Man Utd game on August 4.
    Supporters who purchase a single match ticket for Paraguay will be entitled to the option to purchase one ticket for the Airtricity League XI v Man Utd game on August 4.

FAI are a bunch of twats!

At the very least season ticket holders of Airtricty clubs (who support the league week in week out) should be given the opportunity to purchase tickets. Damn narrow minded money grabbing fools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Not sure Richie wants anything to do with Irish football again. That said, I spotted himself and Roddy at Rovers-UCD on Friday...

Fairly sure Pats fans wouldnt want him near the club again, hes all hearts and minds.

His heart and his mind and where it works in the future. At no point did it seem he had any intention of sticking around so our future plans were made preseason by Mahon and Kelleher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cúnts have moved the Sligo Rovers v Shamrock Rovers cup semi from August 2nd to August 17th because of this búllshít game.

Stupid prícks the lot of them, game was on the perfect day(bank holiday monday) when everyone is off work and they go and move it to a Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Cúnts have moved the Sligo Rovers v Shamrock Rovers cup semi from August 2nd to August 17th because of this búllshít game.

Stupid prícks the lot of them, game was on the perfect day(bank holiday monday) when everyone is off work and they go and move it to a Tuesday night.

Sligo and Shams should prevent any of their players being used in the friendly as a protest.

They would'nt let Limerick play Barca because it clashed with fixtures (well that was one of the many ridiculous excuses given) but they have no problem moving fixtures for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I know man, fcuking joke......:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'm assuming the Dundalk VS Mons match was moved also then?

Nor would they let us move a game last season because Tallaght was unavailable. No problem screwing us over to give two fingers at P1, but they'll mess around with fixtures just to cozy up to the Ole-Oles.

Bastard FAI and that fucking snake Delaney.

This is the final straw for me. I've paid good money for Ireland over the years and went to my first game in 1986.

I will not attend another Ireland match until a regime change occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

As a die hard LOI fan, this game is a great idea. I work with a guy who plays in the league and he said every player would give their leg to play in this game. It's an opportunity that just doesn't come around so I say embrace it for what it is. It should be a decent game and an enjoyable day.

My LOI team would be:

P. Cherrie

D. Lynch
    C. Kenna
    G. Peers
    C. Powell

J. Ndo
    S. Byrne
    J. Chambers
    G. Bolger

P. Amond
    G. Twigg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

FAI sent out letters to block bookers about this fixture today and forthcoming fixtures in the new lansdowne.

There is a new credit card season ticket on offer that gives a discount of between 7 and 10% but you need to pay all up front.

Sunset V wrote: »

J. Chambers
    G. Twigg

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

As a die hard LOI fan, this game is a great idea. I work with a guy who plays in the league and he said every player would give their leg to play in this game. It's an opportunity that just doesn't come around so I say embrace it for what it is. It should be a decent game and an enjoyable day.

My LOI team would be:

P. Cherrie

D. Lynch
    C. Kenna
    G. Peers
    C. Powell

J. Ndo
    S. Byrne
    J. Chambers
    G. Bolger

P. Amond
    G. Twigg

Sincerely doubt any of the Bohs first team will want to play.

bohsman wrote: »
    Sincerely doubt any of the Bohs first team will want to play.

We're playing each other two days later.

I seriously doubt either set of members would be happy about key players being risked for the gratification of The Great Irish Sporting Public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

lol

Don't know them personally but I wasn't aware that they were funny guys.

Don't know them personally but I wasn't aware that they were funny guys.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

We're playing each other two days later.

We're hopefully in the CL on the night of the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

RTÉ Sport has confirmed it will broadcast the first ever football match to take place in the new Aviva Stadium as an Airtricity League XI takes on Manchester United.

RTE at this while Bohs play an important European game.

Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

F*** you RTÉ.

You had to be blackmailed in order to show Irish football and now you'll trumpet this as being another example of you promoting Irish football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

The Airtricity Penalty Challenge

The FAI and Airtricity, proud sponsors of the League of Ireland, have joined forces to give four lucky, young footballers the chance to show off their penalty skills during the historic opening game in the Aviva Stadium – the Airtricity Challenge between a representative League of Ireland XI and the mighty Manchester United on Wednesday August 4th.

Each skilful young footballer will compete at half time during the highly-anticipated Airtricity Challenge for the title of the Airtricity Penalty Challenge Champion.

Open to football fans under the age of 15, the Airtricity Penalty Challenge will be run in conjunction with League of Ireland Clubs, with each hosting a club challenge open to young players in their respective areas. Club winners will then progress to regional finals, with the winners of the four regional finals competing in the Grand Final at the Aviva Stadium on August 4th during the clash between the League of Ireland XI and Manchester United.

All 22 League of Ireland Clubs will take part in the Airtricity Penalty Challenge. The 22 club winners will all receive ‘Family Tickets’ courtesy of Airtricity, Ireland’s cheapest energy provider, to see the League of Ireland XI face Manchester United, with the four regional winners getting the chance to show off their penalty skills at the game.

Supporters interested in taking part should contact their local League of Ireland Club. Entrants must be born after August 4th, 1995.
    The Cork City Airtricity Penalty Challenge will take place at the club’s summer camp at Bandon FC, which is running from July 19th to 23rd. The winner of the Cork City Airtricity Penalty Challenge will be given a ‘Family Ticket’ courtesy of Airtricity, Ireland’s cheapest energy provider, to see the League of Ireland XI take on Manchester United and will also be entered into the regional finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Anyone try and get tickets for this?

All i get is either 120 corner or 507 middle upper, all other areas are "sold out"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Can you get these through the fai website, or is it a ticketmaster job?

Anyone have the promo code??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Yea they have it on Fai website 45-60 euro a ticket :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm actually going to sit in the Aviva Stadium bar and watch the game on the TV instead of sitting on my 60 euro seat, just so I can watch the game in the environment to which I'm accustomed. Might even bring my own comfy barstool with me for old time's sake.

COME ON UNITED!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'm actually going to sit in the Aviva Stadium bar and watch the game on the TV instead of sitting on my 60 euro seat, just so I can watch the game in the environment to which I'm accustomed. Might even bring my own comfy barstool with me for old time's sake.

COME ON UNITED!!!
    Chances are I'll be serving you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

anyway of seeing where abouts the tickets are? Where are the general admission 45 tickets actually in the stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

anyway of seeing where abouts the tickets are? Where are the general admission 45 tickets actually in the stadium?

Can't see a seating plan anywhere, but even if I could I doubt the would tell you. Probably as high as you can go, and in the corner.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the LOI players are getting paid for this?

dreamers75 wrote: »

In silver pieces, I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Left-over 3D glasses, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

my prawn sandwich better not get knocked over during the mexican wave again, anyone wanr to try predict score? i'd go for 0-10 minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

They're getting paid in their cushy AIB jobs, isn't that enough?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

They're getting paid in their cushy AIB jobs, isn't that enough?!

/shrugs

I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Sorry if this has been asked already (dont fancy going through 20 pages...)

Any hope of this being televised?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

RVD420 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already (dont fancy going through 20 pages...)

Any hope of this being televised?
    Think I heard RTE are showing it, could be wrong though

Edit: yep

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Think I heard RTE are showing it, could be wrong though

Edit: yep

Cheers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Since the airtricity league is up and running already will it just be reserves/fringe players and the likes that play??

• Advertisement

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Since the airtricity league is up and running already will it just be reserves/fringe players and the likes that play??
    Aye, especially considering there's potential European fixtures on that night. Won't be anything close to the strongest in the league.

Have the general tickets sold out yet?

Members and ST holders of the club can get some through the club, but I won't be going anyway.

I'll see the Aviva in November hopefully. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I doubt there'll be any Bohs players playing.

I doubt there'll be any Bohs players playing.

yeah couldnt think of a decent right back so had to include one bohs player :p

yeah couldnt think of a decent right back so had to include one bohs player :p
    Powell is a left back ;)

But, yeah, I hope there isn't anyone from Bohs senior team near that squad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

bohs should tell the FAI to **** off and not release they're players we have much more important things to be concentrating on than playing some meaningless friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, the only reason I'm going to this is because it's the first match in the new stadium, Lansdowne Road!

It's just a pre-season friendly for United, if we come out of it with no injuries I'll consider it a success.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

major bill wrote: »
    bohs should tell the FAI to **** off and not release they're players we have much more important things to be concentrating on than playing some meaningless friendly.

TBH, it should be the same for all LOI squads.

To be honest, I wonder would some players be pissed off if they didn't get the chance to turn out - some of them could be United supporters themselves.

Not that the clubs who pay their wages shouldn't block them of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

i heard there were tickets still going for this. went to fai website, and its right there on the intro page.

click the link for tickets, and it cant get to the page

whats going on? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement