Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beglee wrote: »
    i heard there were tickets still going for this. went to fai website, and its right there on the intro page.

click the link for tickets, and it cant get to the page

whats going on? :confused:
    the site is down.

You can get them on ticketmaster though, according to posters on RedCafe anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

the site is down.

You can get them on ticketmaster though, according to posters on RedCafe anyway.

cheers, see them now on ticketmaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I dont understand why any club would release their (non amateur) players for this match unless the FAI are paying the players wages for the week and compensation for injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pauleta wrote: »
    I dont understand why any club would release their (non amateur) players for this match unless the FAI are paying the players wages for the week and compensation for injuries.

I doubt they will. Certainly not the clubs in Europe and in contention for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Drogs and bray 11 so ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

stovelid wrote: »
    To be honest, I wonder would some players be pissed off if they didn't get the chance to turn out - some of them could be United supporters themselves.

Not that the clubs who pay their wages shouldn't block them of course.

tbf i wouldnt say alot of players have that mindset anymore.playing good sides in the champions league or europa cup is a bigger shop window and bigger honour than playing against a mickey mouse starting 11 that united will most likely put out well thats my opinion i would be gutted if we lost players to this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

major bill wrote: »
    bohs should tell the FAI to **** off and not release they're players we have much more important things to be concentrating on than playing some meaningless friendly.

can you explain why?

how often do LOI players get to play before a 40,000 - 50,000 crowd?
    how often will they get to play in an opening of what is the future of Irish football?
    how often will the get to play against some of the top players in the world?
    this game probably will be live on international tv, how often will they get this chance?

i can guarantee you, 90% of LOI players would want to be involved in this, i cant see a reason why not. some of them could see this as a platform, especially the younger players, to move on to "bigger" things.

ive never played at LOI level, but ive played at 2 levels below it. some of my former clubmates have played LOI for Limerick, Cobh and Waterford. I can tell you each and every one of them would burst a gut to get involved in this.

less of the LOI warrior-ism please.

can you explain why?

how often will they get to play in an opening of what is the future of Irish football?
    this game probably will be live on international tv, how often will they get this chance?

i can guarantee you, 90% of LOI players would want to be involved in this, i cant see a reason why not. some of them could see this as a platform, especially the younger players, to move on to "bigger" things.

ive never played at LOI level, but ive played at 2 levels below it. some of my former clubmates have played LOI for Limerick, Cobh and Waterford. I can tell you each and every one of them would burst a gut to get involved in this.

You've got to be on a wind-up here, mate?

The game is slap in the middle of a competitive schedule for the League of Ireland. Doubly so should the teams competing in Europe progress. I don't care what the players want. They are paid to pay for their clubs, some of which receive a large amount of operating money (including wages) directly from supporter's pockets?

At the heart of these statements is fundamental inability to accept the LOI as a real league. Would you like United, or whoever you support, to be press-ganged into a stupid friendly (with no financial recompense) slap-bang in the middle of the season?

Not to mention that clubs will also be staging their own friendlies in the summer. Friendlies that are acceptable to the supporters because they are financially vital to the clubs.

And as for it being what the players want: you see how far a premiership player gets when they ask their manager to release them for a non-international, commercially-worthless friendly right in the middle of a packed league schedule. Or is that different because that's a Real League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I can guarantee you they'd want to play in Europe for their current club that week instead of some meaningless friendly against some English club from across the waters who are merely there for a pay cheque and a luxury weekend courtesy of the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

can you explain why?

If Man U make the champions league final and Ireland play England the same night would you be happy with the English and Irish manu players deciding to play for country instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im looking forward to this game..... I think all the LOI should make every effort to put out the best team possible. People will watch this who would not watch their local teams play. If the LOI lads do well people will be more inclined to give it a go.
    As a utd fan I am looking forward to it too. Should be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Raoul

You've got to be on a wind-up here, mate?

The game is slap in the middle of a competitive schedule for the League of Ireland. Doubly so should the teams competing in Europe progress. I don't care what the players want. They are paid to pay for their clubs, some of which receive a large amount of operating money (including wages) directly from supporter's pockets?

At the heart of these statements is fundamental inability to accept the LOI as a real league. Would you like United, or whoever you support, to be press-ganged into a stupid friendly (with no financial recompense) slap-bang in the middle of the season?

Not to mention that clubs will also be staging their own friendlies in the summer. Friendlies that are acceptable to the supporters because they are financially vital to the clubs.

And as for it being what the players want: you see how far a premiership player gets when they ask their manager to release them for a non-international, commercially-worthless friendly right in the middle of a packed league schedule. Or is that different because that's a Real League?

Well said.

I hope not one Dundalk player is playing. The amount of matches the players are playing at the moment is ridiculous and we already have injuries and are suffering from tiredness. Really can do without playing in this game unless the clubs get some money from it but not very likely!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I won't be going.
    This is a farce of a game that only an organisation as short sighted as the FAI could arrange.
    Thanks FAI for your backing the LOI.
    Good riddance to you and whoever buys your tickets.
    I'm off to support my local club Bohs against TNS.
    Hope no Bohs players take any part in this Manyoo Airtricity 11 crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Would you like United, or whoever you support, to be press-ganged into a stupid friendly (with no financial recompense) slap-bang in the middle of the season?

United went to ****ing Dubai last winter in their mid-season break to play a meaningless friendly for one reason only, to make money. I can't ****ing stand it, but they do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Personally I hope my team (Fingal) and other teams invlolved at the top end of the league or europe dont release there best players. Why should they.
    Its more important to the Irish clubs to have their players fit for our league and Europe. It has nothing to do with LOI warriorism as said previoulsy. It has to do with LOI teams priorities and they are not a friendly against Man United.
    I hope the occasions is a good one and I do hope the players from Ireland do well agains Man U but the LOI teams should not release their best players, end of

PHB wrote: »
    United went to ****ing Dubai last winter in their mid-season break to play a meaningless friendly for one reason only, to make money. I can't ****ing stand it, but they do the same thing.

If Bohs made money out of releasing players Id say fair enough but for us it could be on one of the biggest nights in the clubs history if we beat this Welsh crowd. Also the small matter of a top of the table clash against Rovers 3/4 days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Im looking forward to this game..... I think all the LOI should make every effort to put out the best team possible. People will watch this who would not watch their local teams play. If the LOI lads do well people will be more inclined to give it a go.
    As a utd fan I am looking forward to it too. Should be fun.

Well in all fairness it doesn't and never has worked like that, Shels played Leeds the last few seasons, few thosand show up and well I doubt any have been to many of our League matches at all.

LOL at the last line of that quote compared to your sig.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Weve already had a player turn down an international call-up this season because it would have taken him away from some vital league fixtures, so I think you are well off the mark there.

PHB wrote: »

Good point.

As Bohsman said, if there were financial incentive it would be different. clubs here do cram in friendlies too, as club's budgets are heavily dependant on them.

If the LOI lads do well people will be more inclined to give it a go.

Will you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

How can they possibly do well? A team that may meet 3 days before the game to play a match together for the 1st time Vs uhh Man United :confused:

At least an LOI team would keep it respectable (Madrid/Spurs previously) but to get a few lads in to play is retarded.

United will score as many as they want.

Will you?
    I have been to see my local team play and was disgusted by the behavior of some fans. That has put me off.

I have been to see my local team play and was disgusted by the behavior of some fans. That has put me off.

True. Better off sticking with the British. :)

I watch it occasionally on the telly. Prefer to watch United play in all honesty.

I think Padraig Pearce was a Chelsea fan.

Any word on how many tickets sold for this abomination?

CiaranC wrote: »
    I think Padraig Pearce was a Chelsea fan.

Must have been. He loved scrapping with Brits in town?

I've no doubt the game will sell out eventually.

Hilarious lads. Funny stuff.
    Maybe if it wasn't for the behavior of the fans I could have enjoyed it. But maybe thats just Drogheda utd.

Hilarious lads. Funny stuff.
    Maybe if it wasn't for the behavior of the fans I could have enjoyed it. But maybe thats just Drogheda utd.
    Yeah all barstoolers have an excuse just like you do. But if we give up our best players for this unpaid friendly in the middle of our european fixtures and the title race maybe, um, no actually they still wont come.

Enjoy the Manchester u17s vs the Leinster Senior League XI lads

Yeah all barstoolers have an excuse just like you do. But if we give up our best players for this unpaid friendly in the middle of our european fixtures and the title race maybe, um, no actually they still wont come.

Enjoy the Manchester u17s vs the Leinster Senior League XI lads
    People will look at this match,and if the best payers or whatever don't play they are gonna think that LOI is rubbish. Chances are the LOI team will get hammered. Average Joe wont know or care about fixture congestion etc. He will see a league of Ireland XI, which he will think is the best they have, get hammered by a reserve Man U team. What impression will that give about the league?

Barstoolers? What sort of rubbish is that? Anyone is entitled to watch any football they want, or league, they all have their individual merits.

• Advertisement

People will look at this match,and if the best payers or whatever don't play they are gonna think that LOI is rubbish. Chances are the LOI team will get hammered. Average Joe wont know or care about fixture congestion etc. He will see a league of Ireland XI, which he will think is the best they have, get hammered by a reserve Man U team. What impression will that give about the league?

Barstoolers? What sort of rubbish is that? Anyone is entitled to watch any football they want, or league, they all have their individual merits.
    You must be new here

You must be new here
    Thats right, don't address any of the points I made.

The simple fact is that this is an advertisement for the LOI. If the best players don't play it will look bad for the LOI. Kids who go along to see utd will not see anything in the opposing team that will make them ask their Dads to bring them to see a LOI game.
    Whoever is sent to play, they will appear to be the best the LOI has to offer. Thats why they should send the best. Otherwise people will see a supposed best XI get hammered by utd and have a good laugh. They wont fork out money the following week to watch them. This is the LOI getting presented on a big stage.

The LOI as a whole will benefit if any sort of performance is given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Average Joe wont know or care about fixture congestion etc. He will see a league of Ireland XI, which he will think is the best they have, get hammered by a reserve Man U team. What impression will that give about the league?

Who gives a f**k what he thinks?
    For example: If you go into a pub on a Saturday afternoon while all the barstoolers are gathered to watch the ''big game'' and you ask anyone ''Are you heading to the [insert LoI match here] tonight?'', the response you will get 90% of the time is ''Why would anyone watch that joke league?'' or something similar.
    It happens all the time around here.
    There opinion isn't going to be changed no matter what happens in this game.
    Airtricity Team get hammered 7-0: They'll say expected.
    Airtricity Team lose 1-0: ''We weren't trying''/''We didn't want to embarass them''.

If any Sligo Rovers players are released for this I'll be pissed big time. We have an away game in Bray 2 days after this match and a friendly with Everton on the 8th that will actually benefit the club.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Who gives a f**k what he thinks?
    For example: If you go into a pub on a Saturday afternoon while all the barstoolers are gathered to watch the ''big game'' and you ask anyone ''Are you heading to the [insert LoI match here] tonight?'', the response you will get 90% of the time is ''Why would anyone watch that joke league?'' or something similar.
    It happens all the time around here.
    There opinion isn't going to be changed no matter what happens in this game.
    Airtricity Team get hammered 7-0: They'll say expected.
    Airtricity Team lose 1-0: ''We weren't trying''/''We didn't want to embarass them''.

If any Sligo Rovers players are released for this I'll be pissed big time. We have an away game in Bray 2 days after this match and a friendly with Everton on the 8th that will actually benefit the club.
    What about tomorrows fans, the little lads? This may be the first time that they will see LOI in any form. If the LOI put forward a joke of a team, what will they think?

Who gives a f*ck what he thinks? The clubs that need his money will. This is a chance to expand the fan base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bull****, you're kidding yourself if you think this is a ''chance'' for the LoI.
    I'm one of the small % that managed to get out of the barstooler lifestyle before it started. My dad basically christened me a Man U fan, the jerseys, the bedding, the tracksuits, all that crap. I was kidding myself until I was 11.
    The next generation don't have a chance. They will go through the exact same thing I did.

Ok, you tell me, what will people think if they see a supposed best XI get hamered by sub par utd team?

• Advertisement

The simple fact is that this is an advertisement for the LOI.
    Its not an advertisment for the LOI, its a money making exercise for the FAI to fleece the barstoolers and daytrippers who havent a clue about football and will happily pay 50 euro to watch Manchesters reserves play a nothing side labelled Airtricity XI, when it will OBVIOUSLY not be an Airticity XI - four of our teams could be playing in Europe at the same time this match is on and there is a full league program, including the Dublin derby which may well decide the league, two days later.

These fans have never and will never come along to football matches here on anything more than a novelty basis, we are far, far beyond caring what they think.

Its not an advertisment for the LOI, its a money making exercise for the FAI to fleece the barstoolers and daytrippers who havent a clue about football and will happily pay 50 euro to watch Manchesters reserves play a nothing side labelled Airtricity XI, when it will OBVIOUSLY not be an Airticity XI - four of our teams could be playing in Europe at the same time this match is on and there is a full league program, including the Dublin derby which may well decide the league, two days later.

These fans have never and will never come along to football matches here on anything more than a novelty basis, we are far, far beyond caring what they think.
    Thats right, if you don't follow the LOI you know nothing about football.

Many will see this as a chance for the LOI to show what it has got. The way its looking it will seem that they have nothing.

Many will see this as a chance for the LOI to show what it has got. The way its looking it will seem that they have nothing.
    Again, no-one who knows anything about football in this country would see this as "a chance for the LOI to show what it has got". Its clashes with competitive Champions League & Europa League football, and is two days before a full league program, including what may turn out to be the biggest game of the season.

The FAI knew this all along. They dont give a ****. Its never been about advertising the league, ever. Not for the FAI, not for the fans of the league, not for the clubs of the league, and not for the daytrippers out to have a goo at Manchester running around the fancy new stadium.

Are you actually reading peoples responses or are you just trolling?

If Bohs finish the job in Wales they will have a Champions League game the night of Delaneys friendly.

Should Bohs release players for the friendly?

Shamrock Rovers have a massive game against Bohs a couple of days after the Man U game.

Should Rovers release players for the friendly?

I would have thought it obvious I was referring to the post I quoted. Perhaps not.

The point I made stands, if the LOI send a rubbish team that will be deemed to be the level of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The point I made stands, if the LOI send a rubbish team that will be deemed to be the level of the league.
    The best players are busy playing real matches, it's quite simple.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I would have thought it obvious I was referring to the post I quoted. Perhaps not.

Its impossible for the league to put out their strongest 11, Bohs play Wolves and Villa in friendlies this month, very few first team players will play for Bohs in either game. If people are happy to judge a leagues level based on 11 players being thrown together last minute and put up against one of the best teams in the world they were never going to start going to games anyway.

Your average "barstooler" is not going to know that is he?

It is stupid timing, probably arrange to accommodate Man U.

Your average "barstooler" is not going to know that is he?

It is stupid timing, probably arrange to accommodate Man U.

Agreed on both counts and yes, definitely to accommodate Delaneys idols. Hes even talking about asking UEFA to put back our potential CL clash 24 hours.

So this is really no win at all:
    The best players wont play, the team put out will be hammered(maybe), many will think the LOI is really rubbish.

Do they even get some of the gate?

So this is really no win at all:
    The best players wont play, the team put out will be hammered(maybe), many will think the LOI is really rubbish.

Do they even get some of the gate?
    We have been promoting the game (on the PA at half time, in the match programme, on the website etc), so presumably we are getting some kind of payment. No doubt the huge majority of profit will be to offset the FAIs horrific losses on their Vantage scheme.

Its worse than a "no win", its an insult to football fans here. They have moved League cup fixtures for this, our game versus Sligo Rovers is now at such a time that none of our fans can travel, depriving Sligo of what would probably be their biggest away gate of the season. Our national league champions will be playing in the Champions League that night and our national broadcaster is showing a friendly involving an english C team instead.

If they really wanted to showcase the league, they could have played the Dublin derby there and used the stadium as the draw for the non-LOI fans. At 15 euro a pop they could have drawn 15000-25000 fans and shown them first hand what the atmosphere at this game is like, and by extension maybe got a few to come back, if even just to that fixture.

It just really sums up everything that is wrong with football here.

I suppose, but with utd there it is guaranteed to get money. Personally I am happy to see utd come here as they are my favorite team, but it should have been done under better circumstances. Im looking forward to it.

I suppose I will have to try my local team again, hopefully it will be a more "family friendly" atmosphere this time.

I suppose, but with utd there it is guaranteed to get money. Personally I am happy to see utd come here as they are my favorite team, but it should have been done under better circumstances. Im looking forward to it.

I suppose I will have to try my local team again, hopefully it will be a more "family friendly" atmosphere this time.
    Yeah I hear you, but unfortunately the money wont trickle down, its just to pay off their white elephant stadium

Fair play to you giving Drogs another go, you probably could have picked a better year mind :)

Yeah, I know a few former players and that too..... I appreciate the football, just some of the thuggery put me off. Give it another try I suppose.

The chances of people coming back to LOI after this type of match are very slim. Even if a full-strength selection is put out. If you want to introduce a new acolyte to the league, they're far better off meeting a few people that support the league, having a jar and heading to a a decent game like a derby. This is something like Des have suggested a few times. I can guarantee you that us versus Bohs or Pats at Tallaght would be a better atmosphere and experience than a non-competitive game in Landsdowne if you are there as a football supporter and not just to gawp at United.

Otherwise spare us the lectures about our clubs having to ensure that the Irish United supporters get a good day out at the expense of a European round or even the league title.

@ Mussolini: the level of actual trouble at games in general is extremely low in the League of Ireland. I can vouch for that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement