Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airtricity 11 vs Man. Utd - **MOD NOTE POST 457**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

once the barstoolers digs are being mentioned, theres no point carrying on a debate like this. people are going to see no reason, and resort to a few cheap jibes, so whats the point?

i think this is a good chance for the LOI to showcase themselves. nobody is expecting players to give up the chance to play in europe for this. however, there are 19 or 20 other clubs, results depending, that wont be involved in europe that week or any week. it couldn't be fixed for the weekend as it would clash with big LOI fixtures, it probably cant be played the week before as united have other matches and the rugby has to be taken into account. so when the hell could it have been played?

and we are talking 2 or 3 players from each club max. if they had 2 foreign teams, the LOI fans wouldnt be happy. the international team cant play as they are already playing the week after, so who else could be involved? the fai try to do something right for a change and still people are not happy.

i really cant see any reason for LOI clubs to be unhappy here. if the players dont want to be involved, im sure they wont be. nobody will force them to play against their will and if the LOI werent happy with it, they clubs would not have accepted the friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

once the barstoolers digs are being mentioned, theres no point carrying on a debate like this. people are going to see no reason, and resort to a few cheap jibes, so whats the point?

i think this is a good chance for the LOI to showcase themselves. nobody is expecting players to give up the chance to play in europe for this. however, there are 19 or 20 other clubs, results depending, that wont be involved in europe that week or any week. it couldn't be fixed for the weekend as it would clash with big LOI fixtures, it probably cant be played the week before as united have other matches and the rugby has to be taken into account. so when the hell could it have been played?

and we are talking 2 or 3 players from each club max. if they had 2 foreign teams, the LOI fans wouldnt be happy. the international team cant play as they are already playing the week after, so who else could be involved? the fai try to do something right for a change and still people are not happy.

i really cant see any reason for LOI clubs to be unhappy here. if the players dont want to be involved, im sure they wont be. nobody will force them to play against their will and if the LOI werent happy with it, they clubs would not have accepted the friendly.

LOI fans don't like it because it's being treated as more important than league, cup and european qualifiers which are more important to us and the clubs.

Why can't you understand that? Is it just because they are LOI games that they are being considered unimportant enough to be concerned about?

LOI fans don't like it because it's being treated as more important than league, cup and european qualifiers which are more important to us and the clubs.

Why can't you understand that? Is it just because they are LOI games that they are being considered unimportant enough to be concerned about?

how is it being considered more important? if the clubs are involved in europe, then their players wont be involved. is that not clear?

there is no pressure on the clubs to release players is there? nobody is forcing players to play in this against their will.

or am i wrong? are the fai doing something that is not public knowledge here and forcing players that dont want to play, to be involved?

what is the difference between clubs with international players having players send off all around europe for meaningless friendlies and back to their clubs for a game 72 hours later and this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

once the barstoolers digs are being mentioned,.

You yourself made derogatory comments about people who are merely looking after the best interests of their clubs.
    theres no point carrying on a debate like this.

Bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

how is it being considered more important? if the clubs are involved in europe, then their players wont be involved. is that not clear?

there is no pressure on the clubs to release players is there? nobody is forcing players to play in this against their will.

or am i wrong? are the fai doing something that is not public knowledge here and forcing players that dont want to play, to be involved?

what is the difference between clubs with international players having players send off all around europe for meaningless friendlies and back to their clubs for a game 72 hours later and this?

Well for one there have been league cup games moved to accomodate this friendly. It's also very close to the Shams/Bohs derby as well as other league matches and also being on the same night that Bohs could be playing in Europe and the FAI are considering asking for that to be moved to another day as well. That shows that the FAI consider their friendly more important than the league.

At least with internationals it's an important honour to represent their countries but this friendly is meaningless for these players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

[QUOTE=homerjay2005;66911009](1)once the barstoolers digs are being mentioned, theres no point carrying on a debate like this. people are going to see no reason, and resort to a few cheap jibes, so whats the point?

(2)i think this is a good chance for the LOI to showcase themselves. nobody is expecting players to give up the chance to play in europe for this. however, there are 19 or 20 other clubs, results depending, that wont be involved in europe that week or any week. it couldn't be fixed for the weekend as it would clash with big LOI fixtures, it probably cant be played the week before as united have other matches and the rugby has to be taken into account. so when the hell could it have been played?

(3)and we are talking 2 or 3 players from each club max. if they had 2 foreign teams, the LOI fans wouldnt be happy.(4) the international team cant play as they are already playing the week after, so who else could be involved? the (5)fai try to do something right for a change and still people are not happy.

(6) i really cant see any reason for LOI clubs to be unhappy here. if the players dont want to be involved, im sure they wont be. nobody will force them to play against their will and if the LOI werent happy with it, they clubs would not have accepted the friendly.[/QUOTE]

(1) I agree with you when the word barstoolers gets used then peoples arguments start to lose weight to a certain degree, but points made are still valid and shouldnt be over looked just because the word is used.

(2) It would have been if it was two league of ireland teams playing but the fact that the majority of fans will be cheering against the irish side is quite embarassing tbh. Esp considering its the opening game in our national stadium.

(3) 2 or 3 of our best players. You cant say that clubs with very important games should risk their best players for a game that is far to close to LOI fixtures. You devalue the importance of these games by your comments. To us these games are far too important. Again I say this is not LOI warriorism its just how fans of a football team feel and rightly so.

(4) So you are saying its alright for LOI Clubs to release players when they have important (competitive) fixture to play but the national side couldnt possible do it due to them playing a friendly a week later:confused:.
    By the way, I understand why the national side cant do it but why would you think its alright for us to instead.

(5) People are not happy due to the fact that the fai are completely ignoring the needs of the national league in preference to a once off friendly against Man U. I think we are intitled to be annoyed at this fixture esp considering it was originally earmarked as a game between two LOI teams.

(6) Then you havent read what was previously wrote or you are choosing not to listen.

stovelid wrote: »
    You yourself made derogatory comments about people who are merely looking after the best interests of their clubs.

excuse me, what comments are derogatory?

i have nothing against LOI clubs or fans, unlike some people on here and unlike the majority of LOI fans who have a huge problem with "barstooling" as they call it. i have already outlined that i know several players who play or have played at that level and I know their mentality. i know that this would be a huge honour for them.

i dont follow a team in the top 22 clubs, as i have no affinity to them. i am not from an area that has a team in the top 22. i do however have a local club, i played for them for 12 years before i moved to dublin at which time i transferred to a team here. they are a club that was one game away from being involved in last years FAI senior cup first round. i have travelled all over ireland to play for them and since i left, support them when they are playing in national competitions. i am a fan of the LOI, i have been to tolka park to see shels play in the league, setanta cup and and on many occasions with some of the LOI fans on here. so please tell me why would i want or need to make derogatory comments about football in this country? just cos i support an english team, which is down to family connections, does not mean i have no interest in local football or i am not allowed have an opinion on it.

i have an opinion that people are using this as an excuse to have any reason to gripe with the FAI and i have yet to see a reason why to change it. i think this is good for the game in this country.

excuse me, what comments are derogatory?

less of the LOI warrior-ism please.

i have nothing against LOI clubs or fans, unlike some people on here and unlike the majority of LOI fans who have a huge problem with "barstooling" as they call it. i have already outlined that i know several players who play or have played at that level and I know their mentality. i know that this would be a huge honour for them.

i dont follow a team in the top 22 clubs, as i have no affinity to them. i am not from an area that has a team in the top 22. i do however have a local club, i played for them for 12 years before i moved to dublin at which time i transferred to a team here. they are a club that was one game away from being involved in last years FAI senior cup first round. i have travelled all over ireland to play for them and since i left, support them when they are playing in national competitions. i am a fan of the LOI, i have been to tolka park to see shels play in the league, setanta cup and and on many occasions with some of the LOI fans on here. so please tell me why would i want or need to make derogatory comments about football in this country? just cos i support an english team, which is down to family connections, does not mean i have no interest in local football or i am not allowed have an opinion on it.

With respect, I'm not bothered about your (or lack of) LOI credentials.

You entitled to have any opinion you want but not to dictate to supporters of clubs what their priorities should be.
    i think this is good for the game in this country.

I don't.

The idea that a friendly against a huge foreign team will drum up interest in the game here has been proven to wrong many times.

The only time I can think of the publicity being good is Rovers and Madrid, but I think that the Madrid game was only a small part of the positive package of Tallaght. And we made some money out of that.

I don't hate the FAI blindly.

I don't need to as, in the lead up to this game, they have:

Screwed over a cash-starved team to muscle in on the lucrative friendly trade

Slapped a friendly (of zero financial benefit to the LOI) right in the middle of a busy league, European and friendlies schedule

Arbitrarily moved several cup games to accommodate this game

Neglected to realize that the game (a game thAt''s supposedly "good for the game here") might clash with a potential Champions League game involving the league champions. Not to mention the fact that the state broadcaster is now televising the friendly on that might.

In particular, how does the last point sit with the theory of helping and publicizing the local game?

As for what the players want: you admit to prioritizing the right of Rooney or Berbatov to expand energy in playing whim games over absolutely crucial competitive games and I'll concede the point. United doing the far-east gigs is not comparable as these have a serious financial aspect for the club. International friendlies are down the club's own wishes. I sure that neither type of game would be palatable to most supporters when the club is pushing for the league and Europe.

This game is not about showcasing the league. It is about saving Delaney's neck because the Vantage scheme has collapsed and they are in serious hock over the stadium. Nothing more, nothing less.

have any players or clubs come out and said they didnt want to be involved?

also, if the players/clubs were getting money, would their be a different view from the LOI fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Hilarious lads. Funny stuff.
    Maybe if it wasn't for the behavior of the fans I could have enjoyed it. But maybe thats just Drogheda utd.

I always love this mentality, the behaviour of the fans. Was anyone shot in United Park that night?

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/man-united-fan-shot-in-row-over-tv-derby-match-2025114.html

also, if the players/clubs were getting money, would their be a different view from the LOI fans.

Pat Fenlon iirc said he wasn't going to have any part of it once the FAI said they were trying to move the Bohs possible Champions League match to faciliate the English club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

@ Mussolini: the level of actual trouble at games in general is extremely low in the League of Ireland. I can vouch for that.
    Perhaps the DrogsvsDundalk wasnt the best match to go to! :pac:

I always love this mentality, the behaviour of the fans. Was anyone shot in United Park that night?

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/c...h-2025114.html
    Ehhh was that chap shot in Old Trafford?

I already said I plan on going again...

For me, the players views don't matter. League of Ireland supporters tend to be a lot closer and more connected with the players than supporters of EPL teams so it's not a case of deriding the players. Only that they are professional/semi-professionals and the needs of the club (whether footballing or financial) should come first. Again: would player wishes be considered in the EPL? No. And by insisting that the "lads should get a go", you are indicating your true feelings about the league by viewing it as you would the LSL or similar.

As far I know, some clubs (Bohs, I think) have indicated that they won't release players, but the FAI are extremely quick to publicly counter what they regard as criticism of their tenure and are known to bear a grudge so they could easily make things hard for clubs, so can see why some clubs might want to play it close. Unfortunately the best players will obviously be up to their necks in fixtures at this time of the year and nothing can change that.

If the clubs were handsomely rewarded I would be cool with the club releasing players if the amount was big enough. I'm not sure how this isn't obvious. The point here is that they are not getting anything other than digging the FAI out and playing bitch to a visiting team for the edification of Irish supporters who ignore them week in-week out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

did someone basically call me a LOI warrior??? :pac:

homer, the players are getting paid by there clubs to play for them they are under contract so wheather they want to play or not in this friendly they have no say its up to the clubs to release them. i as i said before would be extremely p1ssed off if bohs were put under any pressure to release conor powell or other players.
    we are struggling finacially and as a club really need support, the fai think they are promoting the league but this fixture is only going to overshadow our champions league game we are getting no help from our national broadcaster either who have decided to show the friendly game.

If the Fai really wanted to promote the league they could have got bohs and rovers to play in the ground or suggested to bohs about playing the champions league game there.

major bill wrote: »

If the Fai really wanted to promote the league they could have got bohs and rovers to play in the ground or suggested to bohs about playing the champions league game there.

im sure if bohs get to the latter stages, the stadium would be made available to them. right now, their own ground is more suitable for them, i know that shels fans were opposed to the move there for the deportivo and lille games a few years back.

major bill wrote: »

As I said before, League of Ireland team -v- Oirlead for the first game in the new Lansdowne should have been done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

when is this farce on anyway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I opened this thread for the first time and I wasnt suprised to see what i see. Lads hopping of the keyboards getting all hot and bothered!

Bit pricey and not the best showcase, but might bring my Dad who lived in Manchester for years to it. Thing is should I wear my bohs jersey or not....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/man-united-fan-shot-in-row-over-tv-derby-match-2025114.html

Surely that says more about Clondalkin and those idiots in particular than United?

People should calm down about this game. It is just a showpiece game for the new stadium. It is a bit of fun and nice to have a team like United playing in it. The LoI team was a good idea, if a bit mishandled. Still no matter what the FAI did for the first game, people would have complained. I'd have liked the first game to be the Ireland-Argentina game but it doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Frankly, I think the game is an insult to Irish football. Its an embarrassment.

No self respecting Irish football fan should be anywhere near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

CiaranC wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the game is an insult to Irish football. Its an embarrassment.

No self respecting Irish football fan should be anywhere near it.
    So as a Galway United fan I'm not allowed to cheer on a team of some great LOI players? This match could create interest in Irish football that is badly ****ing needed. Please can we not be snobby about the prospect of doing good for this country's football at club-level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

So as a Galway United fan I'm not allowed to cheer on a team of some great LOI players? This match could create interest in Irish football that is badly ****ing needed. Please can we not be snobby about the prospect of doing good for this country's football at club-level.
    It's the completely wrong way to go about creating interest. United will win comfortably and people will go away convinced that the league is worse than they thought it was prior to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

I do think LOI fans should go if they want and cheer on the lads represting our league. I'll be working in the Aviva that day, but I assure you I'll be wearing my Pats tracksuit top on the way in

I do think LOI fans should go if they want and cheer on the lads represting our league. I'll be working in the Aviva that day, but I assure you I'll be wearing my Pats tracksuit top on the way in
    I'm working there too, going to have to bite my tongue a lot!

Personally I am looking forward to watching it on the telly. Don't be so sure about utd winning, we lost to an american team who gave away a penalty and had a man sent off tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Voltwad wrote: »

Welcome all the United fans to Ireland.

bohsman wrote: »
    lol

bohsman wrote: »

Or he happens to be selling programmes, say to every lad wearing something related to Manchester Utd that they can actually pay in sterling too, used to this in Tolka for Leeds matches the last couple of years, how easy it is to wind up people I tell ye!:D

What you working as? :P

Or he happens to be selling programmes, say to every lad wearing something related to Manchester Utd that they can actually pay in sterling too, used to this in Tolka for Leeds matches the last couple of years, how easy it is to wind up people I tell ye!:D
    Haha a mate did somthing similar when he was doing that at the first soccer match in Croker!

Rgearding the argument that these games are good for converting Irish people to the LOI, I'm looking forward to the droves of Irish Villa supporters turning up in Dalyer again this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

This match could create interest in Irish football that is badly ****ing needed.
    It could, but it won't. How many friendly games between LOI and English opposition are organised every year? How much extra 'interest' in the LOI is generated as a result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's the completely wrong way to go about creating interest. United will win comfortably and people will go away convinced that the league is worse than they thought it was prior to the game.

I'd say Bohs loss to TNS has done more damage to the LOI's rep than anything this game could do.

I'd say Bohs loss to TNS has done more damage to the LOI's rep than anything this game could do.

this.....

i fully expect this to be a close game and many of the loi players to put in great performances. a decent showing from rovers against Juve would also make this a really big week for the LOI.

the negativity about this game is really baffling, im sure all the players involved are really looking forward to this.

What you working as? :P
    Bar/Kiosk. Don't know exactly yet, working at the rugby on Saturday too.

Haha, I must make use of bohsman's suggestion. Could also go with 'That's a peculiar Mancurian accent you've got there'.

Rovers and to an extent Fingal cancelled that out at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

His point is still valid though, competitive games have a greater impact on public opinion than a pre-season friendly. I imagine Bohs loss to TNS had a bigger impact than their win over Villa.

This game is just a friendly, a showpiece. It should not be used to get cheap points off people who are there just to see United. Acting like spoiled children is hardly going to get people to want to watch LoI teams. I'm not saying you are acting like one, but some posts here seem designed to score cheap points from United fans.

I doubt it - 90% of the football-following public in this country are probably completely unaware that Bohs were even playing TNS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Really?
    djpbarry wrote: »
    I doubt it - 90% of the football-following public in this country are probably completely unaware that Bohs were even playing TNS.

That's definitely not true. I've no real interest in Irish football, but I keep an eye on how our sides do, especially in Europe. Considering that people are always mouthing on about how good the LoI can be, etc, seeing a Welsh side, who cannot be anything more than the third or fourth Welsh side absolutely dominate our champions is appalling. The Welsh league is tiny, not to mention shíte, we should be dominating their sides.

I've no real interest in Irish football
    we should be dominating their sides.
    The Irish "football fan" must be the most confused/confusing creature on earth.

• Advertisement

That's definitely not true. I've no real interest in Irish football, but I keep an eye on how our sides do, especially in Europe.
    But most people don't - they simply don't care and the general lack of coverage in the media is indicative of this. Of course, when Juve come to town it'll be a different story altogether.
    Considering that people are always mouthing on about how good the LoI can be, etc, seeing a Welsh side, who cannot be anything more than the third or fourth Welsh side absolutely dominate our champions is appalling. The Welsh league is tiny, not to mention shíte, we should be dominating their sides.
    I'm certainly not disagreeing with that - it was an utterly embarrassing result.

djpbarry wrote: »

but you can be damn sure everybody knows the result now. negative publicity sometimes travels faster than positive publicity. with so many bohs players in the squad, its a great chance for them to restore some pride in themselves.

but you can be damn sure everybody knows the result now. negative publicity sometimes travels faster than positive publicity. with so many bohs players in the squad, its a great chance for them to restore some pride in themselves.
    How is a meaningless friendly for a made-up team against Manchesters C team in front of a crowd who generally never attend football matches, at a match with no atmosphere, which is regarded at best with indifference and at worst with vitriolic hatred by the people who actually bother to watch them week in week out supposed to "restore some pride"?

Bar/Kiosk. Don't know exactly yet, working at the rugby on Saturday too.

Haha, I must make use of bohsman's suggestion. Could also go with 'That's a peculiar Mancurian accent you've got there'.
    I'm working in a bar, section 102. Really loking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I take it that it is completely sold out at this stage, bear in my I haven't read most of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

stovelid wrote: »
    Rgearding the argument that these games are good for converting Irish people to the LOI, I'm looking forward to the droves of Irish Villa supporters turning up in Dalyer again this weekend?

Thats obv not going to happen but if some have a good day out and even start keeping half an eye out for Bohs results after its a start, obv the key is for the kids to have a good time so they can tell their friends and nag their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Did it sellout yet ?

Some of the tickets were priced at €100 - thats €30 more expensive than an Ireland game at the new stadium.

Absolute madness.

What 8 matches are you on about ?

Man Utd tickets are being sold for €45, €60, €75, €85, €95 and €100.

Its an absolute disgrace - as I pointed out already the most expensive Ireland ticket will cost €70.

That is some difference is prices - the fai must be paying United a small fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

redout wrote: »
    What 8 matches are you on about ?

Man Utd tickets are being sold for €45, €60, €75, €85, €95 and €100.

Its an absolute disgrace - as I pointed out already the most expensive Ireland ticket will cost €70.

That is some difference is prices - the fai must be paying United a small fortune.
    But is it sold out?

Cleese wrote: »
    But is it sold out?

I dont know. That is what I just asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Looks like it sold out anyway. Just went onto ticketmaster and tried to buy one, and got no tickets available.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement