Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike for under 500 euro

• 19-04-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Im looking to buy a road bike for under 500 euro i have had a few suggestions like the Giant scr 4 but i cant find it in stock anywhere. Please help me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

as suggested to me only 2 weeks ago, look under cycling adverts or on adverts.ie. You might find something 2nd hand. I did and am very very pleased with it. There are actually a few on adverts.ie that might be within the €500 range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 aibhne

this might be worth a look : http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/31/57312431.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

aibhne wrote: »

It strikes me as highly suspicious that a full carbon bike retailing in the ~1500 euro region, with such low mileage, can be sold for a mere 100 euro. It's worth AT LEAST 700, I don't care how quick a sale they are looking for. Be careful with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jakobmckernan

Yea that add was in fact a hoax. The girl who answered knew nothing about a bike. shame. There is nothing on adverts.ie either. Does anybody know the SCR 4 model is out of production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ah sh!tballs, I would have bought that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yea that add was in fact a hoax. The girl who answered knew nothing about a bike. shame. There is nothing on adverts.ie either. Does anybody know the SCR 4 model is out of production?

The SCR range was replaced by the Defy range, basically the same model with an updated frame. You would be hard pressed to find many deals second hand in the run up to summer.

If you can stretch a bit more: Specialized Allez, Giant Defy 4. These are all entry level and unless you get some good online bargains or haggle in a shop, you will not get a new bike for much cheaper. At least not a very good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

Hi Jakob,

shameless self promotion here, I'm selling a Trek 1200 second hand, much higher specked than the Giant Defy 4, or the Entry level Specialized Allez, which can be viewed here:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=210730&cat=209#thumb

I'm basically trying to offer a package similar to the starter packs some retailers are offering.

It is advertised at a little above your price range, but it would work out cheaper than assembling all the various elements over time.

On top of that, the Giant Defy range, as has been mentioned, is the SCR's replacement, and can be found in Cycle Superstore, which, in a further act of shameless self promotion, is where I happen to work. Moderators, feel free to edit this as you see fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

I will be selling a 2008 Trek 1.5 in a few days. Just ordered some new tyres for it and once I get them I will post up the ad and some photos.
    Will be a few extra bits n peices with it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I'm selling a Giant OCR. My friend has an SCR 4.0 and this is substantially lighter and with more reliable components.

I have a Giant OCR Compact road bike with full Shimano 105 Groupset. It's 54cm with a light aluminium frame and aero carbon fork. It's a perfect bike for a fast commute and clocking up training miles.

Components: Full Shimano 105 Groupset (Triple)
    Wheels: Mavic Open Pro Rims/Ultegra Hubs (Bulletproof commuting wheels)
    Tyres: Continental Gator Skins (Puncture resistant)
    ITM seatpost
    Deda Handlebars

There are two sets of brake levers, one on the shifters as normal and one on the handlebars, like in this picture but two levers for front and back. This gives you the drop bars of a road bike and the quick access to brakes (while riding in a traffic friendly position) of a hybrid and has saved my ass countless times in city centre traffic! If you don't like this setup I can remove them.

The pedals are two sided (flat and SPD) so once you make the transition to proper cycling shoes you won't need to buy pedals.

http://www.madsnail.net/images/bikeb...osslevers1.JPG

It has been fully serviced (including hubs and headset) and has new brake pads, front derailleur, cassette, chain and chainring. It has been kept indoors and cleaned/degreased/oiled weekly.

I've spent over 170 (and counting on replacement parts) and the bike was 1200 new so I'm looking for a very reasonable E500. Selling due to upgrade.

It's sitting at home in my parents shed but if you're interested in can get it and take some pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jakobmckernan

Hi Chatattack,

Im intersted in seeing your bike, if could put up pictures it would help me make up my mind.

Thanks for the reply!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

sent you pm regarding a bike I have for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Looking for one around that price range myself though I'm 6.2 so need a large or extra large frame. If someone has a bike that fits the bill send me a pm and I'll definitely do a deal.

Thanks,
    Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

I'm looking for something around the 400 mark. My FCR 4 got stolen yesterday, now I've nothing to ride to work on. Anyone any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

@ willhouse I have dropped you a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

Cheers!

Advertisement