Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I need to buy?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

I've spent the year building up both a DJ set-up and a bit of a production set-up. I finish my exams in a month, and plan to set up shop trying to make some tunes over the summer then, so I want to hopefully have a complete set-up by then. Just wondering do I need anything else.

I currently have - Macbook (2GB Ram, 2.13Ghz), Ableton Live Suite 8, M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2, M-Audio Profire 610, Sennheiser HD205s.

I also have a load of instruments, so I was thinking one of the first things I'd buy would be a decent microphone to make some interesting samples, and that I should also get a pair of decent monitors.

Is there anything else I need to get started with production? And if not, what should I aim to pick up over the next few months?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The only thing i can see personally that your missing is a pair of proper monitors!

I'd reccomend buying new...with regards to warranty and what not if they break.

I picked up my KRK Rp5's from x-music a few months ago, and i love them, fantastic sound from them and they look pretty slick too. not too expensive from what i can remember(dunno the exact price as i bought a few bits from them at the time) but i think they came in at a little over 200 for the pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

That's a decent setup. Instead of a Mic you could get a portable recorder like a Zoom H2. That way you can record stuff wherever you are as opposed to just in the studio.
    Monitors are on your list - you'll be able to produce with headphones but when you get to the mixing stage you'll definitely need these.

Ableton Suite has pretty much everything you need to produce electronic music. 2 areas i think it's weak are Analog and the Reverb effect. I've found 3rd party alternatives to be much better.

Are you new to synthesis? If so, the only thing I'd recommend is getting one hardware synth. It doesn't have to be analog but should have plenty of knobs. I've found it's much easier to learn a hardware synth than their software counterparts. You should be able to pick up a second hand synth fairly cheaply. I'd recommend one of the following: Access Virus C/Classic, Nord Rack, MFB Synth II, Waldirf Blofeld.

These recommendations are by no means necessary - you've enough to get you going already(apart from the monitors).

What sort of music are you looking to produce?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

hubiedubie wrote: »
    That's a decent setup. Instead of a Mic you could get a portable recorder like a Zoom H2. That way you can record stuff wherever you are as opposed to just in the studio.
    Monitors are on your list - you'll be able to produce with headphones but when you get to the mixing stage you'll definitely need these.

Ableton Suite has pretty much everything you need to produce electronic music. 2 areas i think it's weak are Analog and the Reverb effect. I've found 3rd party alternatives to be much better.

Are you new to synthesis? If so, the only thing I'd recommend is getting one hardware synth. It doesn't have to be analog but should have plenty of knobs. I've found it's much easier to learn a hardware synth than their software counterparts. You should be able to pick up a second hand synth fairly cheaply. I'd recommend one of the following: Access Virus C/Classic, Nord Rack, MFB Synth II, Waldirf Blofeld.

These recommendations are by no means necessary - you've enough to get you going already(apart from the monitors).

What sort of music are you looking to produce?

Completely new to production yeah, big backround in music though, and have been DJing for a year or so, so I'm hoping to pick it up relatively quickly...

Looking to make house, and might end up dabbling in IDM. I like the idea of a hardware synth, I imagine it'd be a lot more intuitive than just software.

Those synths are pretty pricey...Any cheaper ones that are worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Nice Monitors here Mate if you are looking - You might get a bit off the price if you're lucky / cheeky :D

Someone else is on the case already..

http://www.adverts.ie/212261

A few people on here have 'em.. if you do a search you'll see that they're pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Those synths are pretty pricey...Any cheaper ones that are worth looking at?

You could check out the MFB Synth Lite II: it's 222. Probably the cheapest you can get a HW synth for new. I'm not sure how good it is though. Monophonic AFAIK

http://www.thomann.de/ie/mfb_synth_lite_ii.htm

For more polyphony / flexibility go for the Blofeld it's 389 though.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/waldorf_blofeld.htm

Prob best to check out adverts.ie or similar if you're looking for something better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭romarr

ICN wrote: »
    Nice Monitors here Mate if you are looking - You might get a bit off the price if you're lucky / cheeky :D

Someone else is on the case already..

http://www.adverts.ie/212261

A few people on here have 'em.. if you do a search you'll see that they're pretty cool.

hard to go wrong with the yamaha nifty fifties ... i really like them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

hubiedubie wrote: »
    You could check out the MFB Synth Lite II: it's 222. Probably the cheapest you can get a HW synth for new. I'm not sure how good it is though. Monophonic AFAIK

http://www.thomann.de/ie/mfb_synth_lite_ii.htm

For more polyphony / flexibility go for the Blofeld it's 389 though.
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/waldorf_blofeld.htm

Prob best to check out adverts.ie or similar if you're looking for something better.

You're not going to get anything cheaper in terms of something that would rival a VSTi. I've an MFB Synth Lite II up at the moment in pretty much perfect nick - I'd take 150

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

piano lessons.

or failing that, a music theory book.

jtsuited wrote: »
    piano lessons.

or failing that, a music theory book.

Don't worry, I'm grade 8 in classical guitar, and have been doing theory for 10 years! (and play a bit of piano) :pac:

Is there much preference for a full MIDI keyboard over a little 2 octave one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dont bother with a hardware synth yet.

get yourself a midi keyboard(preferably with usb connection)get it second hand if you can.

not to get into a raging debate about harware and software but if you cant make a track sound good with software vsts you need more practice.the emanulations are more than capable and sound ridiculously close to the real thing.

seriously the tradeoff between having tactile feedback and price doesnt make a hardware synth a necessity at all especially to someone whos just starting out.if you really want that tactile feedback get the novation remote sl which comes with automapping software which will let you map the faders and pots on the softsynths to the ones on the remote sl

download some free synths and get cracking

also the microphone for interesting samples isnt necessary yet.wait til you understand the basics and then see what you need after that.
    i bought a bass guitar because i wanted somewhat real bass on my tracks.in the short space of time that i had it i learned to make realistic sounding bass on my synths and so never used the bass guitar once on a track.

on the monitor front id say go with the yamahas that ICN suggested

• Advertisement

I already have an Oxygen 8, would a proper full keyboard be worth shelling out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I already have an Oxygen 8, would a proper full keyboard be worth shelling out for?

its definitely better to have a full keyboard but again not essential.

id just start using what you have and if you find you need a full keyboard then get one

for the past year ive had no midi keyboard and have just been using the keypad on my laptop to play notes,not ideal but it doesnt stop me from making music just hinders it slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gsparx

If you're going for VI's you might want to get a bit more RAM.
    Not sure what the max is for your computer but you'll get more instruments going if you have more RAM.
    Nice one with the classical guitar, btw!

gsparx wrote: »
    If you're going for VI's you might want to get a bit more RAM.
    Not sure what the max is for your computer but you'll get more instruments going if you have more RAM.
    Nice one with the classical guitar, btw!

I've 2GB at 2.13Ghz at the moment, thinking of upping to 4, but I'll see how it goes.

If you have a 2nd output on your graphics card - you could get a 2nd screen.

I picked up one last week for 40 bucks - really cool being able to keep EQ's and Tuners & stuff open on the master.

Its time consuming opening & closing everything often..

If you have a 2nd output on your graphics card - you could get a 2nd screen.

I picked up one last week for 40 bucks - really cool being able to keep EQ's and Tuners & stuff open on the master.

Its time consuming opening & closing everything often..

It has a mini-DVI, so the adaptors might be expensive, but it's definitely something to look into.

It has a mini-DVI, so the adaptors might be expensive, but it's definitely something to look into.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/M9321G/B

19 quid Mate - Cheap for Apple!

You could probably get a cheaper one elsewhere - based on Apples usual steep prices.

If you get an older monitor, it might just have a vga connection..

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/M9320G/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Same price.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/M9321G/B

19 quid Mate - Cheap for Apple!

You could probably get a cheaper one elsewhere - based on Apples usual steep prices.

If you get an older monitor, it might just have a vga connection..

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/M9320G/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

Same price.

Ah grand, was assuming it'd be €50 from Apple! I'll definitely think about that so...I've a full summer with no plans but to start making music, so hopefully by September I might start to be able to answer questions here instead of asking them!

Nice one! :D

Advertisement