Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good chorus effect or digi effects in general

• 19-04-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit long in the tooth as a guitarist and I've just dusted off some of my equipment, a Gibson ES-135 and a Peavey Classic 30 (valve) amp.

I'm looking recommendation for really quality stompbox effects ... or maybe a multi-effect rack, etc ?

I realise that I might also investigate using modelling/FX software as I own a Mac, etc.

Any recommendations.
    To begin with I'm wondering about Chorus.
    In my day, Boss effects were the industry standard ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

My reccomendation, because I have one, would be the TC Electronics Nova System. It has amazing quality digital effects from one of the best makers but the real killer is an analog overdrive and distortion which really sound fantastic. I use semi's too and a Mesa LSS 30 watter. With the overdrive engaged you get the creamyist clear responisive drive I have personally played.

The unit obviuosly has lots of presets but I like to find a good preset and then edit to suit. This way you can individually turn on and off the chorus, delay, compression, drive, boost etc. Pricey enough but I got one for a good price with a little research on the net ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

A lot of guys swear by the old original Boss Chorus. I like the look of the Electro Harmonix Stereo Polyphase, but apparently the re-issue you can buy new now is nothing like the original, in a bad way. I like the look of the Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus too, it sounds awesome.

I would stay away from multi-effects, personally. Some sound great, but they won't do any particular effect as well as a dedicated unit, unless I'm overlooking something hugely (actually, the Line6 M13 springs to mind, which is sort of like all of Line6's flagship pedals in one giant box).

I run Ableton Live on my laptop (Mac user as well FWIW), and I plug my guitar straight into my interface a lot and manipulate it in Ableton. It's the most fun I've ever had with my guitar, but I wouldn't look to my laptop to emulate traditional sounds. I can loop it, chop it up, reverse loops, shift them, that kind of stuff, as well as adding effects to it, and it all sounds great, but it doesn't sound like a guitar, if you know what I mean.

Though there are programs around for emulating guitar rigs, and GarageBand's built-in guitar software doesn't sound awful, it's not the same, you know? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

The EHX Small Clone is a very beautiful,lush chorus.It's cheap too.The only drawback on that pedal is the hiss when the effect is engaged.

I've been through around a dozen chorus pedals and i reckon the DLS Chorus-Vib is the nicest and most versatile chorus pedal out there.Amongst other things it has a blend knob which is great.It will cost you around €160 though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca_KiOAbS3A

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

The DLS looks lovely.
    I saw the demos on YouTube.
    A bit expensive indeed.
    I am wondering now that maybe chorus is a slightly dated effect, eg, 80s/90s.
    Perhaps that's a controversial statement to make ;)

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I would stay away from multi-effects, personally. Some sound great, but they won't do any particular effect as well as a dedicated unit, unless I'm overlooking something hugely.

You are ;)

• Advertisement

Quattroste wrote: »
    You are ;)

Care to enlighten me?

OP, sorry for stealing a portion of your thread.

El PrOn, have you tried the TC Electronics Nova System (I have one of these) or its big brother the G-System(I would like one of these)? These are high quality effects in a multi-effects box. These units are not amp modulers, just effect boxes and the quality is top notch.

I have an Pod X3 live too, and I would not rate the quality of the effects in that anyway near as good. I understand why people would say individual stomp boxes are better in relation to the X3 and similar units, but not the Nova System. Obviously this is my opinion and I only have my ears as judge and jury.

What about analogue or tape delay, or spring or plate reverb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

El Pr0n wrote: »
    What about analogue or tape delay, or spring or plate reverb?

TC Electronic gear is top notch alright. I don't use my G-Force much because of other gear, but i still wouldn't part with either.

BBE make a nice chorus that you could pick up for about €50. I have heard the Digitech Hardwire chorus is great for the reasonable price.

Had a look at those G system things... No ring modulator? Effects have to stay in a particular order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dannyluvsu

I have a TC G-System and even though it took me about 3 months to get it working 100% (it nearly had me on several occasions!) but I'd swear by it now. They are pricey enough but I got mine on Craigslist from a chap in Florida for around half the retail when all was said and done with customs (*&%^%£!!!!).

Of course it wouldn't take anyone who is remotely tech savvy (and doesn't have a 19 month old daughter) to get it goin in a fraction of my 3 months! What can I say? It controls my other stomp boxes via it's own loops, switches channels and amps (if you're minted), emulates some of the best delays, chorus, flange and phase I've ever heard and buttons you don't use can be programmed to do pretty much anything else! It's great! :D

Advertisement