Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prop planes

Options
  • 19-04-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

Purely out of interest, does anyone know why propeller planes were in the sky yesterday, (from Newcastle I assume). Are propellers allowed, or maybe only in an emergency situation, if flying low or because propellers are not as badly affected by ash?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The ash is only dense above 30k ft. Prop planes can't go anywhere nar that high so their engines would be unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

report in the Metro this morning suggesting that planes flying out of certain private airfields are exempt from the ban as they are outside of centrally controlled airspace

http://e-edition.metroherald.ie/2010/04/19/
    (its on page 5)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Propeller planes are not affected by the ash, the problem is when the ash is sucked into the engines on the wings of planes afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks all. I was wondering why companies who operate propeller planes weren't making some money taxi-ing people to the U.K. Maybe they are, I just haven't seen any mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Yeah, Turbo Prop planes are completley unnafected by the ash!! Aer Arann could make a killing if they could get access to local airstrips (like the Newcastle Aerodrome) as they fly at 12K feet!!

But I'm sure they have already thought of that :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement