Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade BBQ

Options
  • 19-04-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a BBQ and I need to source some grill wire mesh that the food is cooked on.

It has to fit onto a half 45gallon drum (cut lengthwise) so approximate dimensions are 3'x5'.

Any suggestions as to where to get some (catering quality) or an alternative suggestion to do the job would be appreciated. Bear in mind I don't want to poison people or taint the food and it has to resist the heat and be reasonably priced. Sourced locally would also be best as the BBQ will have its first outing at the beginning of May.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Only if I get an invite.........

I was in Woodies in Carrick on Saturday and they have grill racks. Not sure it would be big enough so you might need to buy two or three.

How many goes are you looking to get out of it, would chicken wire wrapped around the half barrell tightly do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The metal itself doesn't actually have to be of 'catering quality' - just use tin foil over it. Best thing to do is use one layer of tin foil over the metal, then another layer over that for the food. The reason for this is threefold -

1. The bottom layer often burns with the heat of the BBQ
    2. The Food can stick to the top layer
    3. You can chuck both layers away when the BBQ is done, have a few beers & relax without worrying about cleaning the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

If you put tin foil over the chicken wire, and the food on top of that, you won't get the flavour/smoke from the charcoal.

OP try the recycling place on Deepwater Quay, they might have some old cookers you could nick the shelves from. Argos sell the trays and racks, but it's probably not worth it when you only need the racks.

Maybe ask in Taheneys for a price for a few oven shelves? Or they would have old cookers they take when you buy a new one.

Some Mr Muscle oven cleaner should sort them out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

This is a great site, there are some good DIY BBQ ideas here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-Your-Own-BBQ-Barrel/

• Registered Users Posts: 44 3D

Yep Poly - thats the idea - couple of modifications - I think you would need to raise the coals of the bottom of it and cut some air vents to allow a good blaze - but the general idea is the same.

I want this to be re-usable over the years so I would be looking to get a more permanent solution - So it will have to be racks of some sort. But thanks for the other suggestions.

Taheney's
    Recycle centre
    Woodies

Will have to pay a call to all of the above and see what I can scrounge up.

Again thanks all for the ideas/suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 forgingfool

I made my own BBQ out of an old old-drum, I forged the grill out of 16mm round sold bar, and made it in a way that it is all fitted into the drum without being fixed down. This way the BBQ wont distort as the different thickness of metal heat-up at different rates, and it makes it much easer to clean.

Advertisement