Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mutu fails another Drug test

• 19-04-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

SSN Ticker...

9 month ban.

What an idiot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Des wrote: »
    SSN Ticker...

oh dear he really is as stupid as they come :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is this for the test he failed in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

JPA wrote: »
    Is this for the test he failed in January?

Yes.

from wiki:

On 29 January 2010 it was reported again that Mutu had failed a doping test,after Fiorentina—Lazio Coppa Italia match on 20th January 2010 (Mutu scored twice during that match, the match ended 3-2). The Italian Olympic Committee was requested to hand a one-year ban to the player by the Italian anti-doping prosecutor.[24] He eventually received a nine-month ban on April 19th, 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good footballer, getting caught once was bad but twice was silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Farking liability.

Life ban tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyone who comes on here and pontificates about him using recreational drugs, having used them themselves, needs to take a long hard look at the dictionary definition of hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

His career is over...

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Anyone who comes on here and pontificates about him using recreational drugs, having used them themselves, needs to take a long hard look at the dictionary definition of hypocrite.

Not really, unless some of the people on here are professional athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

I'm pretty sure this time it was a substance used prevent weight gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

JPA wrote: »
    Not really, unless some of the people on here are professional athletes.

Also I don't really mind him using drugs, each to his own. Just his stupidity in getting caught repeatedly astounds me.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Are Chelsea still trying to sue Mutu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

HoPpiE wrote: »

And what would be the name of this magical drug?

Xavi6 wrote: »

Sibutramine fatty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Henry's been caught taking coke too! Disgraceful

http://i43.tinypic.com/2e2jt5l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

syngindub wrote: »
    Are Chelsea still trying to sue Mutu?

thought they already had successfully done it. the judgement against him was over £10m if i remember.
    what a tool though, i read an article in some paper a few months ago about him going on about how much his life had improved since leaving chelsea and going to italy and getting married and all that jazz.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

i read an article in some paper a few months ago about him going on about how much his life had improved since leaving chelsea and going to italy and getting married and all that jazz.

You don't say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Oh dear. Not again.

He obviously doesn't know about the orange juice trick

Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Balls. None of us are professional sportsmen/women with explicitly clear contractual obligations to remain clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibutramine

Apparently he took it over Christmas back home in Romania and he was told it was herbal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why? Recreational drugs are banned by the people runnign his profession. Therefor he's stupid.

I can do all the drugs I like. If it doesnt affect my job,my boss doesnt care. Mutu can't .

Xavi6 wrote: »

Heroin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As a professional athlete, your toolbox is your body.

However, there is an aspect of punishing sportspeople for recreational drug use that I don't agree with. For me, the regulatory bodies like FIFA, UEFA or the FA shouldn't be the ones enforcing bans for this form of drug use. There is no competitive edge being gained by snorting cocaine, so I don't think it should be disciplined in that manner.

Instead, I would contend that it should be left solely at the discretion of the club the player concerned is under contract with as to whether there should be punishment, and what form such punishment should take. I see this as an employer / employee issue. If a club wanted to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing they should be allowed to. Just as our employers can choose to let us away with the few mornings a year we are in no fit state to work following a night of excess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    However, there is an aspect of punishing sportspeople for recreational drug use that I don't agree with. For me, the regulatory bodies like FIFA, UEFA or the FA shouldn't be the ones enforcing bans for this form of drug use. There is no competitive edge being gained by snorting cocaine, so I don't think it should be disciplined in that manner.

Instead, I would contend that it should be left solely at the discretion of the club the player concerned is under contract with as to whether there should be punishment, and what form such punishment should take. I see this as an employer / employee issue. If a club wanted to turn a blind eye to this sort of thing they should be allowed to. Just as our employers can choose to let us away with the few mornings a year we are in no fit state to work following a night of excess...

+1 to all of this.

I find it odd that the FA can ban someone for recreational drug usage.
    If a footballer wants to take cocaine on his free time that business is it of the FA? If anything it's decreasing his ability to play the sport and giving him no advantage over other players.

There's always the argument that it sets a bad example for children not to punish them for this. But the simple solution would be to not test them for it, or if you are going to test them, don't tell anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Considering you can't even take your shirt off without getting a booking these days it's no surprise that the powers that be don't want teams full of players running around like Maradona circa the 94 World Cup!

What needs sorting out for me is players getting 9 month bans for taking the wrong cough bottle (Paddy Kenny) or anti-obesity medication as in Mutu's case. The rules on drugs and doping are there to catch out the Marseille's of this world but sometimes I don't think they can see the forrest for the trees when it comes to decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can cocaine be used to mask effects and traceability of anything else?

At the end of the day the people that own football make the rules. If they want to ban alcohol 365 day a year they can. No one is forced to play professional football. If you choose to, you abide by their rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Can I pontificate then since I haven't used any?!

Anyway, what he did is the highest level of idiocy. Given his past, to continue using drugs of any sort is plain stupid. What a complete waste of talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's complete crap, for a lot of sports, 90% of the challenge is in the mind, otherwise performance would be the same for every game.

Using mind altering drugs can give them an advantage (as well as being very unhealthy for them to take).

astrofool wrote: »
    That's complete crap, for a lot of sports, 90% of the challenge is in the mind, otherwise performance would be the same for every game.

Using mind altering drugs can give them an advantage (as well as being very unhealthy for them to take).

lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Using mind altering drugs can give them an advantage
    Pele was always on LSD :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Stekelly wrote: »
    Can cocaine be used to mask effects and traceability of anything else?

At the end of the day the people that own football make the rules. If they want to ban alcohol 365 day a year they can. No one is forced to play professional football. If you choose to, you abide by their rules.

No, cocaine wouldn't mask the presence of banned performance enhancing substances.

As for the second part, I agree that the rules are set up very clearly on this issue, and as such Mutu hasn't a leg to stand on. He broke well defined rules and got caught, so he can't feel hard done by.

Using mind altering drugs can give them an advantage

Yeah, coz I always see the strung out junkies running rings around each other down by the Quays.

Cocaine would not givve you an advantage playing football. Maybe if you took it directly before a game you'd run around a lot more, but your decision making and co-ordination would be way off.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Frisbee wrote: »
    Cocaine would not givve you an advantage playing football. Maybe if you took it directly before a game you'd run around a lot more, but your decision making and co-ordination would be way off.
    Might see an increase in the aul red cards too

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Might see an increase in the aul red cards too

And referee murders

I worry how some of the posters on this forum manage to post on boards.

Take a penalty, this is a very simple thing for a professional football player to do. Hit the ball at an area of a goal from 12 yards.

Yet, some of the best footballers miss. Baggio, Schevchenko, Ronaldo (even Le Tissier once). Why? It's the mental pressure of the situation.

Getting high, or slightly high can give an advantage in this situation. You don't need to be snorting lines up your nose, but just enough to take the edge off, and relax you when you're about to pull the trigger, and let the body do what it's trained to do.

Even something as simple as an inhaler can give a sportsperson unfair advantage.

• Advertisement

Getting high, or slightly high can give an advantage in this situation. You don't need to be snorting lines up your nose, but just enough to take the edge off, and relax you when you're about to pull the trigger, and let the body do what it's trained to do.

Having never taken cocaine myself, nor wanting to, but knowing people who do I have to say becoming calm and relaxed is certainly not one of the effects I'd associate with cocaine.

Weed yes - But even at that even if for some reason it made you calm enough to take the pressure of in a penalty situation, you'd be completely useless for the rest of the game as it gets hard to move too sharpish when your binned.

Even something as simple as an inhaler can give a sportsperson unfair advantage.

Yet without an inhaler perhaps many footballers would never be able to play because of underlying medical conditions.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yet without an inhaler perhaps many footballers would never be able to play because of underlying medical conditions.

Did you know that the beacons of fitness, sportspeople, have a much higher incidence of asthma than the general population?

And also, that the asthma treatment drug, is on the list of banned substances, unless you have asthma.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/kerry-footballer-at-heart-of-first-drugs-controversy-to-hit-the-gaa-14067028.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I still think its disgraceful that they are allowed to test for recreational sports use. This wasn't performance enhancing, it was recreational and frankly, its none of the leagues business what the **** he does.

I worry how some of the posters on this forum manage to post on boards.

Take a penalty, this is a very simple thing for a professional football player to do. Hit the ball at an area of a goal from 12 yards.

Yet, some of the best footballers miss. Baggio, Schevchenko, Ronaldo (even Le Tissier once). Why? It's the mental pressure of the situation.

Are you a tee - totaler by any chance? Recreational drugs have negative effects on cognitive functions in terms of reaction times, clarity, motivation issues, etc. Moreover, for professional athletes at that level, smaller doses of alcohol / recreational drugs have larger and longer lasting impact than they would on joe soap. As such, the suggestion that a competitive edge could be gained through imbibing them is ludicrous.

And then, the fact that you have the audacity to open the above post with that starting sentence is pretty funny.
    PHB wrote: »
    I still think its disgraceful that they are allowed to test for recreational sports use. This wasn't performance enhancing, it was recreational and frankly, its none of the leagues business what the **** he does.

Agree that the league shouldn't be testing for it. I think his club (i.e. employer) would be well within their rights to test for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Pretty much every post here seems to have missed the point that, according to "Neuroscience of psychoactive substance use and dependence" by the World Health Organization, cocaine can increase athletic performance: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G9OhG-dZdAwC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA89#v=onepage&q&f=false. Whether or not that was the principal reason for him using it is irrelevant

And it should be fairly obvious that a substance which prevents weight-gain is most definitely an attempt to gain an advantage through drugs

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Are you a tee - totaler by any chance? Recreational drugs have negative effects on cognitive functions in terms of reaction times, clarity, motivation issues, etc. Moreover, for professional athletes at that level, smaller doses of alcohol / recreational drugs have larger and longer lasting impact than they would on joe soap. As such, the suggestion that a competitive edge could be gained through imbibing them is ludicrous.

And then, the fact that you have the audacity to open the above post with that starting sentence is pretty funny.

Not a tee - totaler, but would it matter if I was? Would I have to be a heroin addict to weigh in with a fact or an opinion?

I still stand by my opening line. In fact some probably just openly defecate on the keyboard and hit reply, such is the level of sh*te they come out with.

Advertisement