Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else notice ash on their car this morning?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

As the topic says... I washed my car Saturday and haven't used it since. I came out this morning and it was covered in little black dried in rain drops. I assume it's ash from the volcano. I'm living in the Ballybrit area. Did anyone else experience this as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

I did it. It was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe ash from someone's fireplace they put into their bin? Was black bins collected today?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

It is on loads of cars, mine included. It made me feel I can relate to all the issues people have with the ash cloud, I am part of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Around 6 o clock yesterday myself and my girlfriend were walking from our gaff in lower salthill as far as the centre of town and the whole way there was bits of what seemed like wispy pieces of burnt paper falling around us but we couldn't see or smell any smoke.

we didn't think it was volcano related but it did seem odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I could see that smoke when i was at the Connacht game yesterday, left my window open while i was gone and there was a white ashy type substance on the window sill. Didn't even occur to me to join the dots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Heard something about this on the radio this morning. Seems to have hit a lot of areas all over the country. Somebody texted in to say that they had driven all the way to work with 'Greetings from Iceland' written(by somebody else) in the dust on the back of their car. LOL:D

Personally speaking my car is filthy anyway so it's hard to tell:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

biko wrote: »
    Maybe ash from someone's fireplace they put into their bin? Was black bins collected today?

Nah that can't be it, considering where the car was parked. Good call though!

I went home for lunch and could see the path at the side of my house is covered in it as well. Has to be ash-rain or something like that. Bringng the car in to be serviced tomorrow. They'll think I never washed it in me life. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I just went out for a look at my car there, I wash it every week and it's usually spotless, but it was covered in a thick, beige kinda dust.

And I'd done very little mileage this week since I washed it too

Stupid valcano:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Yep, just as ye think he's calmed down he goes and blows his top again!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Could be your local carwash taking the piss :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Got my car washed on Saturday and it's rotten looking already..blaming the ash :)

Part of the Curraghline bog is on fire - the smoke is blowing towards town.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

id say ash is the least of our problems here in Ireland.

Drove from Galway to Dublin friday and Dublin to Galway yesterday , all the way up and down was seeing gorse fires burning out of control and fire brigades trying to deal with them. Im sure theres more ash in the irish atmosphere from that than from Bjorkland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

The fires outside Ballinasloe were pretty bad, lots of forestry gone, burned for 15 hours yesterday, stinking of smoke this morning. There's been tonnes of gorse and bog fires around here this week, I figured that maybe it was from something similar in Galway but I dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Woke up this morning after a very dormant driving weekend thinking the same thing. Hadnt driven all weekend but did get a car wash on Thursday! FILTHY!

I'll be sending Iceland the invoice for the carwash.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Big fire out in the bushland at the end of the western distributor road yesterday too. Could see the fire smoke from salthill. May have been that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Could be your local carwash taking the piss :pac:

Don't use them. I don't trust attended/automatic car washes.

Self service is the only way to get your car properly cleaned;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

My car looked to be covered in small traces of dirt also and I'm down in Limerick so it cant be the fire up near Galway.

There are fires all over the country - the ground is very dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Never heard of gorse before - but looking it up seems that fire is an important part of its life cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Col200sx wrote: »
    I just went out for a look at my car there, I wash it every week and it's usually spotless, but it was covered in a thick, beige kinda dust.

And I'd done very little mileage this week since I washed it too

Stupid valcano:mad:

:eek: god now I fell like the dirty neighbour- clean mine once in a blue moon - but then at least I wont know the difference when the ash falls down!

I've never washed my car :o

(I've vaccuumed the inside a few times though - and I've only had it since October)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

Xiney wrote: »
    Never heard of gorse before - but looking it up seems that fire is an important part of its life cycle.

its part of its life cycle alright, however communities here dont care about all they burn when burning gorse. Land owners in Ireland arent trying to preserve it more so burning it to clear land or keep land clear. Along with burning it they burn anything else in sight. Its just wreckless farming pratice.
    It would contribute to the ash or black dust found on cars, though im no ruling out that The Volcano isnt contributing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Washed my car on Sunday and there is dust on it now. :mad:

I try to keep my car fairly clean so I'm not mistaken as someone from out the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Xiney wrote: »

Gorse is an evil weed introduced by the English ... oops, wrong country, starting again:

Gorse is a plant that people don't seem to mind much. Some even admire the pretty yellow flowers, though not the prickles when they get close to it. When it's dry it burns very well. However if it's left it can provide an useful nursery for other plants to grow from underneath it.

Hmmm actually I don't know if that last sentence is true here.

Anyways ... no, I've noticed no ash. But then again, maybe that's cos I don't have a car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JustMary wrote: »
    Anyways ... no, I've noticed no ash. But then again, maybe that's cos I don't have a car :p

trolling! lock her in the stockade!..I noticed alot of dusty looking cars around. Mine is always dusty so I couldn't tell. She's a 96 so she collects dust like Margaret Thatchers nether regions. Also like Margaret Thatcher she's not much to look at, has taken alot of abuse over the years and seems to veer right when going around wide turns???

KevR wrote: »
    I try to keep my car fairly clean so I'm not mistaken as someone from out the country.

I've got a G reg and I wear it proudly!

(also my car is a lucky colour that doesn't show dirt half as badly as the rest of them)

Also it has been dry for a while so it is generally dustier than usual at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If its anyway comforting I havent washed my car in the two years I've been in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Why would you wash your car when you live in Galway - you are actually living in a car-wash (ohh, look at my shiny weirdly dented & bush-beaten car)?

I think the silica in the ash will actually preserve the paint-work as well so yet another reason not to wash the car.

Advertisement