Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

No sound on HDMI when playing DVDs.

• 19-04-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I'm using an elite 360 on a hd tv with a hdmi cable but can't get any sound when playing dvds. The sound is fine when playing all games but it's silent when I try to play a dvd. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I had this problem with a dvd the other day and went into the audio options in the dvd and changed what way it was giving out the sound and it worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

try turning off and on the tv.

my tv sometimes after a while of no sound turns off the sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Thanks lads but it still does'nt work. I think it must be the HDMI cable. The strange thing is the games emit sound perfectly but any DVD I put in never gives me any sound. I tried resetting the TV but still nothing.

If I get a cheap pair of speakers will this do the job? This is weird and really pissing me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I have a problem with my TV and running stuff through HDMi too

Games are fine but Movies watched through an external drive attached to the xbox wont play sound, the same sometimes happen to my Blu-ray player

I have found that by switching the channel back to the AV channel that is hooked up to the ntl/sky digital and then switching back to the Av channel that has the dvd/xbox will sort the problem, basically picking up a channel that is outputting sound

It is a Philips LCD tv that I have and I don't think I am the only one that has this problem with them, never saw a solution online but stumbled across this one by accident

Hopefully it works for you

• Advertisement

The weird thing is movies watched via my external harddrive emit sound perfectly. It's only when I insert a physical DVD there's no sound. It's not a Phillips TV. I was tried to hook the regular scart into the 360 so I could switch to AV when watching DVDs,as there're not in HD anyway. But it's physically impossible to have the hdmi and scart cable in the 360 at the same time. So I have to un hook each cable when I want to watch a DVD,which is pretty annoying and inconvinent.

Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,218 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My sister has a very similar problem with her TV when hooking up a 360 via HDMI. But rather than no sound, she gets a horrible distorted static noise.

Sound works perfect for games. She also has to keep switching the cables when she wants to watch a DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Try turning both console and tv off. Start the console, wait a few seconds then start the tv. Let me know if it works...

Slugs wrote: »
    Try turning both console and tv off. Start the console, wait a few seconds then start the tv. Let me know if it works...

I'll give it a go later and let you know how I got on,thanks.

o1s1n wrote: »
    My sister has a very similar problem with her TV when hooking up a 360 via HDMI. But rather than no sound, she gets a horrible distorted static noise.

Sound works perfect for games. She also has to keep switching the cables when she wants to watch a DVD.

It's weird alright. Surely this should'nt be. I googled the issue and it mentioned something about an optical wire or lead that compliments hdmi with sound. I've never seen them in the shops though. If it's expensive I might just invest in a small,cheap set of speakers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement