Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options
  • 19-04-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

I feel, and hopefully others will too, that it's about time After Hours had it's own 'Off-topic' thread.

I purpose ..

The-Lock-Inn.jpg

Loads of forums have them, those forum's threads fare far better for it as it keeps the threads on topic.

The Gentlemen's Club: 'Brandy & Cigars'
    Ladies Lounge: Nanger's Bar
    UCC: 'Off-Topic Thread'
    Fitness: Squats The Story
    Sports: 'A/R/T' Off-Topic Thread
    Soccer: 'Off-Topic Thread'
    Fashion: The Chatwalk
    Photography: Out Of Focus
    Beer Guts & RH: The Bar
    Nocturnal Forum: The Lair
    After Hours: (The Lock-Inn)

Why, when it comes to After Hours, is there a big song and dance about how it will ruin the place?

A lot of bull is talked about cliques been formed, it's a nonsense.

It's quite ironic actually as, if anything - it is the AH long standing 'Clique' that is opposed to such a thread :)

Is it really a coincidence that all opposed are long standing AH regulars? I think it's a case of old AH faithful being far too comfortable and not wanting the slightest change.

"Damn n00bies taken over the place.."

Of all the other 'off-topic' threads that I have frequented all across Boards, they have always made me feel welcome when venturing in for the first time and I never once got a sense of a impenetrable clique, quite the contrary actually.

The Nocturnal Forum even have a thread to welcome Newbies.

Telling people to go chat elsewhere really just ignores the fact they users would rather not go elsewhere.

The AH users that support such a thread, do so as they want somewhere to have the craic with other After Hour's regulars, going elsewhere would mean losing the After Hours atmosphere, they whole point of such a thread is reveal in that, not abandon it.

Of course you will also get a few who totally miss the point and will say:

"AH is not for flirting, chatting.."

This is not something that anyone is disputing but threads do get locked for this reason. Especially at weekends when people want to come onto AH and have a little banter.

As there is no 'off-topic' thread, they will just jump on the most active thread and then it turns to chatter and gets locked.

We all understand the threads meander occasionally and that's fine, but an 'Off-topic' thread would make sure that meandering only went so far.

I feel that because of the 'Clique', this thread will never happen but I'm just putting it out there, so that anyone that wants to can have their say, here in Feedback where it matters and not on some AH thread where you will just get drowned out by those who are strongly opposed.

We love AH and just feel that this thread would make a great forum even better.

An 'off-topic' banter thread would be a positive step for AH imo as it would give the regulars a place to chat and in so doing, keep the needless flirting and chat off the threads.

I feel this would have the effect so that in future the unnecessary locking of threads night after night for going 'Off-topic' could at long last, become a thing of the past.

If you don't want such a thread, all you would have to do is ignore it and don't subscribe.

Be gentle :D
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

+Indeed this will abolish this idea of cliques being present in AH.
    +It can also be a place for users to get to know each other coming up to beers and the likes.
    +It can give new users an idea of what the vibe of the place is, too.
    +At least give a trial run to see how it fairs out.
    +If it doesn't work out then just wave it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

It seems the AH mods have already spoken and decided against this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The reason AH is so popular is because we don't have one mega thread.

In any other forum that I have visited there's a mega-thread and that's just very cliquish.

If you look at the AH beers thread you have a handfull of posters that take over the thread, and it's off-putting for newcomers.

99.99% of my posts are in AH and in the past I've moderated it, I can honestly say that IMO a chat thread would ruin the forum.

What makes AH so good is the energy, humour and enthusiasm that you find in all threads. If we had one chit chat thread the rest of the threads would lose out.

AH is for current affairs and pub talk, each thread is like a conversation. When you walk into a pub and there is just one big conversation going on it is very difficult to break into that conversation.

An example of where one big conversation thread didn't work is the First Class Lounge. That forum is as dead as dead can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Kiera wrote: »
    It seems the AH mods have already spoken and decided against this idea.

Howya Kiera :)

This is Feed Forward, which has been set-up to precisely get away from just letting MODs decide the future features of forums.

We know the MODs have spoken, now the regular users, like you, me and others, can have their say - both for and against.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

TheZohan wrote: »
    The reason AH is so popular is because we don't have one mega thread.

In any other forum that I have visited there's a mega-thread and that's just very cliquish.

If you look at the AH beers thread you have a handfull of posters that take over the thread, and it's off-putting for newcomers.

99.99% of my posts are in AH and in the past I've moderated it, I can honestly say that IMO a chat thread would ruin the forum.

What makes AH so good is the energy, humour and enthusiasm that you find in all threads. If we had one chit chat thread the rest of the threads would lose out.

AH is for current affairs and pub talk, each thread is like a conversation. When you walk into a pub and there is just one big conversation going on it is very difficult to break into that conversation.

An example of where one big conversation thread didn't work is the First Class Lounge. That forum is as dead as dead can be.

I kinda see where you're coming from Zohan, but what about the bit I highlighted...every thread is like a conversation...however when threads go off topic (which easily happens, especially lighthearted threads) they're locked. This kinda goes against the whole "pub talk" image that AH is supposed to have. If threads were just left to run their course more often, then there would be no need for an Off Topic thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Howya Kiera :)

This is Feed Forward, which has been set-up to precisely get away from just letting MODs decide the future features of forums.

We know the MODs have spoken, now the regular users, like you, me and others, can have their say - both for and against.
    Hiya Pete ;)

I've already said my piece on this in another thread as you know :)

For topics like this i think the mods should have the last say as they are the ones who will be modding the thread. Dont you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

A lot of bull is talked about cliques been formed, it's a nonsense.

It's quite ironic actually as, if anything - it is the AH long standing 'Clique' that is opposed to such a thread :)

This is very true. I'm not exactly a new comer, but I don't really post much. More an observer. In AH, there is already a clique. It's obvious in nearly every thread.
    I think a "Welcome to AH/Off Topic Chat" thread would be a great idea. I know my opinion shall count to nothing, but I thought I'd give my support to this idea :D

Cleeo wrote: »
    This is very true. I'm not exactly a new comer, but I don't really post much. More an observer. In AH, there is already a clique. It's obvious in nearly every thread.
    I think a "Welcome to AH/Off Topic Chat" thread would be a great idea. I know my opinion shall count to nothing, but I thought I'd give my support to this idea :D
    Everyone's suggestions/opinions count. :)

AH is very cliquish anyway don't you think.

Newbies have said to be a few times that they can feel a little intimidated starting threads or just challenging opinions on there.

I agree but the was just people wanting to banter which is precisely why an 'Off-topic' thread is needed. It only appears like that because it was The Beers thread.

Wouldn't not have been easier for you to Mod if you could have said:

"Keep the chat for the 'off-topic' thread folks.." ?

99% of my posts are there also since 2005 and I couldn't agree less.

There is just no evidence of that and if that is the case then let the forum have such a thread for two months and see how it goes, what harm.

The way it is now, threads are getting locked for going off topic.

Rather having them just be banter based on the thread, they are being used for general chit chat. It would improve thread content to have them banter free.

Respectfully, that example makes no sense, that place would be dead anyway, with or without that thread.

They wouldn't lose out, that energy you are talking about would remain.

It's not as if there was a thread on some new sex hotel in Dublin that people would run to the 'off-topic' thread and post there. People will still post in the threads as usual, but will be more inclined to stay on-topic.

Cleeo wrote: »
    I know my opinion shall count to nothing, but I thought I'd give my support to this idea :D

Your opinion counts more than anyone else that has posted so far :)

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't really like the idea of a thread for chatting, but if the market is there for it and it's affecting other threads when it does happen then I don't see any reason why there couldn't be one on a trial basis at least.

There's 2 sub-forums in AH, how many cliques are formed in TnG? probably loads or none.. but if you don't read it, it doesn't affect you

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

FeedForward is not the place for this thread in my opinion.

After Hours or Feedback is where it should be.

AH mods have discussed this before, not happening.
    If you don't want such a thread, all you would have to do is ignore it and don't subscribe.
    Ha!
    Want to mod AH?

A chat thread in AH would lead to a cluster fvck of issues.

AH is very cliquish anyway don't you think.

Newbies have said to be a few times that they can feel a little intimidated starting threads or just challenging opinions on there.

Creating a chat thread would only add to the clique.

I agree but the was just people wanting to banter which is precisely why an 'Off-topic' thread is needed. It only appears like that because it was The Beers thread.

The beers thread was dominated by a few posters, very few new members posted in it.
    Wouldn't not have been easier for you to Mod if you could have said:

"Keep the chat for the 'off-topic' thread folks.." ?

No, it's easier to say "take it to PM'

99% of my posts are there also since 2005 and I couldn't agree less.

There is just no evidence of that and if that is the case then let the forum have such a thread for two months and see how it goes, what harm.

You didn't see the amount of posts that had to be deleted in one of the beers threads, like I said, it was dominated by a couple of posters. People can take the chit-chat to PM.
    The way it is now, threads are getting locked for going off topic.

There are a few posters that turn every thread into a flirt-fest, they should be given yellow cards and pulled up on it IMO.
    Rather having them just be banter based on the thread, they are being used for general chit chat. It would improve thread content to have them banter free.

Banter is welcomed in AH, most non-serious threads are full of banter.

Respectfully, that example makes no sense, that place would be dead anyway, with or without that thread.

If you have a look at one of your examples, The Gentlemans Club, you'll see that there is a thread on the first page that hasn't been posted on in 6 days. There are no dead threads on the first page of AH.

They wouldn't lose out, that energy you are talking about would remain.

It's not as if there was a thread on some new sex hotel in Dublin that people would run to the 'off-topic' thread and post there. People will still post in the threads as usual, but will be more inclined to stay on-topic.

I disagree. I think that some users would only post in the off-topic thread and would disregard other threads to a certain extent. You would have a group of posters posting in the one thread and even bigger cliques would be formed, there would be "inside" jokes that other posters could no relate to.

Sorry TZ but IMO the entire beers was dominated by a few posters, not just the beers thread(s). :)

Kiera wrote: »
    For topics like this i think the mods should have the last say as they are the ones who will be modding the thread. Dont you agree?

No I don't.

Mods are Bus Drivers who like the Bus Company and Driving so much that they volunteer their time, far play to them, most do a cracking job.

Admin (the CEO of the Bus Company) should have the final say, NOT MODs.

Members' (Bus Passengers) opinions are what Admin should base the decisions on at the end of the day ...

.. No Boards Members (Passangers), no Bus Company.

A MOD's opinion should count, of course it should, but it should hold no more weight than any other Boards member that contributes to the site (other than specifically on Modding matters of course).

Otherwise we just have a site run by MODs, for MODs.

That's a little too Quadrophenia for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Bonito wrote: »
    Sorry TZ but IMO the entire beers was dominated by a few posters, not just the beers thread(s). :)

How so? You weren't even there were you? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

An off topic thread in Ah would be become a black hole. People would post their stories, links, weird stuff, news articles, rants and other random stuff in it.

After Hours would die.

Its a definite no for an off topic thread. It would be a monster.

How so? You weren't even there were you? :confused:
    As far as you know. ;)

Rabies wrote: »
    Ha!
    Want to mod AH?

Nope, just pointing out that people can ignore the thread if one is there.

Silly thing to say.

Well then I have misunderstood what Feed Forward is.

I have no problem with a move if Admin wish there to be.

No I don't.

Mods are Bus Drivers who like the Bus Company and Driving so much that they volunteer their time, far play to them, most do a cracking job.

Yup, and for the most part they know the best routes to take, will get you there safely and dwont crash the bus.
    Admin (the CEO of the Bus Company) should have the final say, NOT MODs.

The admins can't drive the bus, they just make sure that the bus drivers and the passengers are happy.
    Members' (Bus Passengers) opinions are what Admin should base the decisions on at the end of the day ...

Mods are users too, and they see the crap that gets left on the bus as they have to clean up.
    .. No Boards Members (Passangers), no Bus Company.

Correct, but see point above.
    A MOD's opinion should count, of course it should, but it should hold no more weight than any other Boards member that contributes to the site (other than specifically on Modding matters of course).

Mods see stuff that you can't, in saying that there might be mods that shouldn't be moderating but that will become apparent over time.
    Otherwise we just have a site run by MODs, for MODs.

That's a little too Quadrophenia for me ;)

I disagree, for the most part if a mod decssion is questionable; a user will pull them up on it, report it to a Cmod then make a Helpdesk thread.

• Advertisement

Creating a chat thread would only add to the clique.

The 'Clique' that exists in AH now all seem to be opposed to the chat thread.

I don't see why the thread can't be positive.

Why see it so negatively?
    The beers thread was dominated by a few posters, very few new members posted in it.

Yes, cause people saw it as somewhere to chat.

If there was an 'Off-topic' thread that wouldn't have happened.
    No, it's easier to say "take it to PM'

It might be easier to say, but people don't do it.

Seven or eight people can be involved in the banter, do you really think that when you said that, people starting PM'ing each other?

Doesn't happen.
    You didn't see the amount of posts that had to be deleted in one of the beers threads..

I did see them.

That was around the time I first suggested an 'Off-topic' thread, it was precisely for that reason of Mods having to delete 'off-topic' posts.
    like I said, it was dominated by a couple of posters. People can take the chit-chat to PM.

They don't and won't though, that is the point. Telling people to take it to PM is missing the point in fairness.

People want to have the craic and banter with each other, you can't take that to PM.
    There are a few posters that turn every thread into a flirt-fest, they should be given yellow cards and pulled up on it IMO.

Exactly, so give them a thread so that that shite stays out of the threads.
    If you have a look at one of your examples, The Gentlemans Club, you'll see that there is a thread on the first page that hasn't been posted on in 6 days. There are no dead threads on the first page of AH.

Like I said regarding the First Class Lounge, that forum would be have the same thread activity with or without that thread.

You know how busy AH is, an 'Off-topic' is not going ruin such a class forum, it can only better it by keeping the on-thread flirting and chat to a minimum.
    I think that some users would only post in the off-topic thread and would disregard other threads to a certain extent.

I respect that you think that, just can't see it happening.
    You would have a group of posters posting in the one thread and even bigger cliques would be formed, there would be "inside" jokes that other posters could no relate to.

The inside jokes are there now and where when I came on-board. I regularly get PMs from newbies (they see I'm a cool guy ;)) asking me who Facekicker is, what's Atari Jaguar, who was javaboy etc etc).

I remember being lost for the first six months when I first came to AH also, would have been nice to have an 'Off-topic' thread I could have jumped on.

It is very intimidating for a newbie to come into AH and post, let alone start a thread and I feel the proposed thread would give newbies a place to get to know a few regs and get their feet wet.

An off topic thread in Ah would be become a black hole. People would post their stories, links, weird stuff, news articles, rants and other random stuff in it.

LOL, no they wouldn't :p

I can't believe some of the stuff being posted.

Post "weird stuff", "rants", "links" and "news articles"?

Come on.

Just put it the charter that the 'Off topic' thread is for 'off'topic chat etc.

If you have a cool story, news article etc, start a thread.

People don't do that on threads at the moment, so why would they in an 'Off-topic' thread.

Cool Vids, Pics & Links is there for most of those things.

Christ, you'll be saying that there will just drug dealing on the thread next :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

@ outlawpete, is the social group you set up not for "off-topic" discussions?

Can you not use that?

Saibh wrote: »
    @ outlawpete, is the social group you set up not for "off-topic" discussions?

People want to stay on AH, not go off someplace else.

If your read my OP mindfully, you wouldn't need to ask that question:
    Telling people to go chat elsewhere is pathetic. The AH users that support such a thread, do so as they want somewhere to have the craic with other After Hour's regulars, going elsewhere would never happen.

Besides, the thread would be for ALL After Hours users, not just people who happened to chance upon a group on a visitor page or in a sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

After Hours or Feedback is where it should be.
    Debatable. Like the ages old adage, "Take it to Feedback, lads", I think you could argue this is a fair venue for this discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

+100000. I'd love a chat thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Right. I guess I shan't be making a suggestion for a private group be set up for those who want a chat, as you have already stated it is pathetic. Nice choice of words there in your OP, if not a little off putting for the sake of a civil debate in the Feed Forward forum.

WindSock wrote: »
    Right. I guess I shan't be making a suggestion for a private group be set up for those who want a chat, as you have already stated it is pathetic. Nice choice of words there in your OP, if not a little off putting for the sake of a civil debate in the Feed Forward forum.

Well, if I had of used other words, you would have suggested it.

Now you are not, so seems my words were well chosen as they have had the desired effect.

It is pathetic to tell people to chat elsewhere when all they are doing is suggesting an 'Off-topic' thread, something which many other forums also have.

It is also patronizing.

If you look at the reasons given for people not wanting to chat elsewhere, then why would you even want to suggest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I support the notion of a general chit chat thread. A fair few AH threads get closed for a bit of chat, which seems a bit much at times. I do understand where the mods are coming from, but I think an off topic thread would be a nice way to keep threads on topic without taking away the occasional chat.

You can't have much of a conversation via pm imo, not least becasuse only 2 people can be involved.

I'd also be happy to see a little more leniency as regards how off topic a thread can go if an off topic thread is out of the question.

AH is clique-y as it is, an off topic thread might distract some regulars from berating new users threads just to get thanks. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

-1 to a chat thread. ****, that would turn me off the forum completely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement