Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish cases online?

• 19-04-2010 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Are all Irish court cases archived online somewhere? I'm looking on courts.ie and I can only find appeal cases. How does one find the transcriptions of a court case or can you?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Transcripts - No. Unless you know the parties and they feel that giving them to you might be of some benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

You'll find some cases on:

http://www.courts.ie/
    http://www.supremecourt.ie/

If you have access to paid/subscription sites, you'll find the rest on Justis.com and LexisNexis.com and other such legal search cites.

Is there any particular case you are looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Oh right, I thought these things were held as public record and freely available to the public. There was a case I was wanting to read up on. I found two judgements from the court of appeal. Just curiosity I suppose, concerned party.

not transcripts-no.

But as long as its not an 'in-camera' trial, you can go and sit in on the proceedings and listen etc.

Best you can do then, is wait to have it reported etc

If there's a case name, PM and I'll pdf it for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Oh right, I thought these things were held as public record and freely available to the public. There was a case I was wanting to read up on. I found two judgements from the court of appeal. Just curiosity I suppose, concerned party.
    Try irlii.org as well. There won't be transcripts, but you can find enough information on cases there.

I have access to justis as well, so if you want to put the case name here I can check and see if it is on there in pdf.

Edit: eagle_&_bear beat me to it! lol

• Advertisement

OisinT wrote: »

yes my padowan :D:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Pretty much all the High Court cases since about 1997 are on BAILII (www.bailii.org) and IRLII (www.irlii.org). Some are transcripts, more are written judgments.

The purpose of BAILII was to make primary legal materials available FOC as the law should be freely available to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 howiye89

Try irlii.org as well. There won't be transcripts, but you can find enough information on cases there.

I have access to justis as well, so if you want to put the case name here I can check and see if it is on there in pdf.

Hi there Ive to do a report on a court case I've been to for college and as a typical Irish student I left it too late to go and Ive no idea how a trial goes. Would you be able to PM me something off that justis website ? Anything will do, but preferably something interesting like a murder or drugs case. Would be really helpful !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I have to admit the Americans do this very well. I wish Ireland had soemthing similar - you can literally listen to cases from start to finish. Made studying Roe v Wade a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

howiye89 wrote: »
    Hi there Ive to do a report on a court case I've been to for college and as a typical Irish student I left it too late to go and Ive no idea how a trial goes. Would you be able to PM me something off that justis website ? Anything will do, but preferably something interesting like a murder or drugs case. Would be really helpful !!!

If you're stuck for time I wouldn't try reading your first case report - the wording used is confusing at best. Try researching DPP v Nally (commonly known as the Padraig Nally case) using newspaper reports etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 howiye89

howiye89 wrote: »

If you're stuck for time I wouldn't try reading your first case report - the wording used is confusing at best. Try researching DPP v Nally (commonly known as the Padraig Nally case) using newspaper reports etc.

It's cool I researched the Olas vs Carr road accident case. It's a recent case which is what we were told to do. Thanks for the advice anyway though ! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Strawberry_Kiss

Would anyone be able to look up a case for me, im not sure if its over yet though??

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

The posters about this are probably referring to concluded cases, where the court has handed down judgment = case concluded/finished.

You can check 'live' cases in the High and Supreme Courts by using the High Court website www.courts.ie -> High Court Search -> enter parties, etc.

No such functionality currently exists in District or Circuit court cases.

Advertisement