Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Computer Sciences

Options
  • 19-04-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi,

Need some advice. I graduated in Computer Sciences last year and have yet not managed to find a job and so I plan on applying for a masters course. I have no real stream that I want to do, I basically want to do it to have a masters certification on my CV and save time instead of sitting idle and looking for a job.

Can someone recommend a well placed masters course which will look good on a CV? I'll like to know in what order the courses of TCD, UCD, DCU or even DIT or any other institution stand.

Any other information and advice for someone applying for a masters in computer sciences course will be gratefully accepted! :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

maybe read this thread instead of starting a new one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872800

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

ardmacha wrote: »
    maybe read this thread instead of starting a new one
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055872800

Already done that. Circumstances are different. Other then the UCD course there is hardly any other masters course which will apply to me... Also already had a look at the HEA Advanced Skills funding list... What I want to know is which is a good course from that list which will look good on a CV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you have a degree in Computer Science, and got at least a 2.1, then you can pretty much do any of the MSc in Computer Science courses.

I'm finishing up in the "Networks and Distributed Systems" course in TCD. It's not difficult, but expect to work long long hours. I didn't think much of the course, but if what you want is an extra line on your CV, there's nothing like "brand trinity" to add a sparkle.

snappieT wrote: »
    There's nothing like "brand trinity" to add a sparkle.

"brand trinity", I thought so too till I read the other thread! So went back to step ONE! How was the research project for the the course? I did alot of Networks stuff in college and modules seem easy but I can't think of any project which fits the course.

Any former "M.Sc in Computer Science via negotiated learning in UCD" students around? I want to know how that course is in terms of the research project?

I am also looking at TCDs "Interactive Entertainment Technology" course.

"brand trinity", I thought so too till I read the other thread! So went back to step ONE! How was the research project for the the course? I did alot of Networks stuff in college and modules seem easy but I can't think of any project which fits the course.
    I am also looking at TCDs "Interactive Entertainment Technology" course.
    Only starting the research project now (in fact, should be studying for exams, start next week!).
    Here's a quick rundown of the course. If you're interested, you'll get in.

This is a 90 credit course. 30 credits come from the dissertation, and 60 from teaching. There are two terms of 11 weeks, with a break of a week in the middle of each. The courses are:

Networked Applications (10 credits)
    Building applications for the web, p2p, social networks etc. Project to develop a Facebook application (group) and to build a grid-style middleware (individual)

Middleware (5 credits)
    Common algorithms and techniques used in distributed systems. Group presentation of a specific topic for coursework

Data communications (5 credits)
    Layer 2, 3 & 4 of the stack; and some advanced topics (WSN, MANETs, DTNs). Two academic papers to write (one experimental, one theory-based), in group of 3

Software engineering (5 credits)
    Development lifecycles, programming methodologies, SE is SE! Group presentation on some SE-related topic.

Management of NDS (5 credits)
    SNMP etc. Research project in group of 3.

Business Innovation (5 credits)
    Token business course. No exam, all coursework. Group business plan and a 2000 word essay.

Security (5 credits)
    Very very very basics of what security stuff is out there (certainly nothing on implementation) and other topics like spam. Project is to write "security considerations" chapter for dissertation

Reactive systems (5 credits)
    Formal methods of verifying software. Super interesting. Project involved writing some CCS and doing verifications against it.

Individual programming project (5 credits)
    Project over 12 weeks to build a (simple enough) distributed application. No exam.

Software engineering group project (5 credits)
    Big big project for 7 people to do over the 12 week term. No exam. Very interesting, for sure.

Data communications project (5 credits)
    Large research project in group of 3 on some DataComms issue. No exam.

Have a few friends in IET, and you'd want to be seriously into your graphics stuff to be able to hack it (sounds very tough).

• Advertisement

Did you get into the course to add TCD on your CV? :)

Looks quite good but don't you think its too simple for a masters course!? :confused: I did much more advanced topics in my final year and anyone doing a final year thesis which has a bit of networking will have more or less an idea of what these modules are. That said. I guess I'll apply for this. Even the fees some cheaper then a lot others. On the website it says applications are being accepted until 30th April and the fees are just €2500!

Btw how come you are starting your project now? The second semester ends after the exams commencing next week... Can you give me a bit more info on the research project? is it the same like doing an undergraduate project? i.e Propose a project, supervisor allocated, meet supervisor often, keep reports, etc. Seeme like you can graduate with a PostGrad Diploma if you don't want to do the project. Also is the project directly related to Networks?

Thanks

As I said, it's not "difficult", but there's just a lot of it. Keeping on top of the workload is really hard! The reason the fees are cheap is because it's one of the courses listed in the Graduate Skills Conversion Program. Any course in that list will be €2500.

I've my undergrad from TCD, so "brand trinity" didn't come into the equation for the masters. I just wanted one more year in college, and NDS was the course that seemed most interesting to me.

The way the dissertation works is as follows.
    In semester 1 (12 weeks before Christmas), you select a topic. In general, people seem to pick from a list of topics proposed by supervisors, though I tailored mine a bit. You have to write up a short page listing what the project is and what you plan to achieve.
    In semester 2 (12 weeks since Christmas), you have to write up the State of the Art and Detailed Hypothesis for the project. This is worth 30% of your dissertation grade.
    Once exams are over, you get into the meat of the project. You actually do the work, and write up the full project. Demonstrations are in mid August, submission in early September. It is definitely more substantial than an undergrad project. The vast majority of projects are something to do with networks, highly distributed applications, or semantic web stuff. I'm developing a p2p application that integrates with browsers (can't discuss much more than that).

With regards to the postgrad diploma: that's what you get if you don't do a (satisfactory) dissertation. If you fail any module, or the coursework for that module, you have to sit repeats in the summer instead of proceeding to your dissertation. That's right - miss one small coursework project, and you're no longer eligible for the MSc.

Thanks for that! It wasn't very clear about the project on the course website. I thought you had to propose the topic after the May exams and finish the project by August.

Anyway, Good Luck with your exams next week and the dissertation after! :)

Can someone who has done "M.Sc in Computer Science via negotiated learning in UCD" post how that course is? Thinking of applying to this as well so as to be sure that I have a place in september!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Matrika

Dear all,

I am Matrika from India. I just got an acceptance offer from TCD in this course. But I am really
    skeptical about the career opportunities after graduating from there.

My questions are:

Q.1. How old is this course?
    Q.2. What is the company wise placement of students who graduate from this course?
    Q.3. The typical offer that graduates from this course receive.
    Q.4. Is there any way of getting financial assistance from this course?

It would be a great help if you can answer my questions or tell me a way in which I can find them somewhere on the internet.

Best Regards,
    Matrika

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 flim_flam

But I am really skeptical about the career opportunities after graduating from there.

About Trinity, or the particular course? Are you planning on looking for work in Ireland or India or elsewhere?
    Is there any way of getting financial assistance from this course?

Almost certainly no, there's very little in the way of funding for postgraduate courses here outside of a funded PhD as far as I know. Certainly wasn't anything available for my MSc.

Not sure about the other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Matrika

Thanks for your reply.

I am looking for job opportunities in Ireland. How much is the graduate degree from TCD in (Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing) valued there?

Also, any idea what all companies hire people from this particular course?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Trinity is well respected in Ireland if that is your concern. Don't know about the course in particular.

Advertisement