Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday - Marmotte Training Spin

• 19-04-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

If anyone interested in joining up wouldnt mind the company, not sure if i'll complete the below route but its the plan for saturday.

Dundrum - Enniskerry - Djouce - Luggala - Sally Gap - Laragh - SE - SM - SM - SE - Wick Gap - Wick Gap (otherside) - Laragh - Sally Gap - Stocking Lane.

Approx 155km Dundrum to stocking lane - 2500m climbing according to mapmyride (sound right??). Mapmyride clocks the marmotte course at 165km / 4650m (i know its not totally accurate but its comparable on the same platform so to speak).

Can reassess the situation whether to do over and back of wicklow gap come the time, if feeling strong enough i guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Mosiki wrote: »

Dundrum - Enniskerry - Djouce - Luggala - Sally Gap - Laragh - SE - SM - SM - SE - Wick Gap - Wick Gap (otherside) - Laragh - Sally Gap - Stocking Lane.

Thats a quality Marmotte training spin. Like Stocking lane at the end.

Planning on rolling down stocking lane to get home, not going up it after all that.:)

You doing marmotte yourself this year? i know you did it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

Giving it a miss this year. Will be doing a bit of cycle touring in Europe instead. Might head up the Alpe for old time sake at some point.

Used to do a similar route last year to get the climbing legs ready. Just added in extra reps of SM depending on how I felt and then went home via Lacken and Brittas.
    http://www.bikemap.net/route/409610#lt=53.14018&ln=-5.72388&z=8&t=0

Enjoy Saturday (well till the first rep of SM!) and best of luck with the training. Really is best to inflict as much pain as possible on yourself before the Galiber and Alpe do.

@Souter & Beans:

You's heading out tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Planning on rolling down stocking lane to get home, not going up it after all that.:)

the marmotte ends on alpe dhuez which is a whole lot harder than stocking lane, actually the last section of 1.5k to the turn off (left) for jonny foxes simulates AD pretty well, very similar gradient ;), and if you turn left it goes on for another K or so steep again, I use to do repeats of this/other longer climbs when training for the marmotte - really good training.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

my phantom cycling buddy can't make the morning, so I've planned to go out either the afternoon or Sunday.

Absolutely nothing to do with all that climbing, honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Won't make it out for this one tomorrow but I'm planning on tackling something similarly ambitious one of these weekends (though racing keeps interfering at the moment).

Good luck with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

niceonetom wrote: »
    Won't make it out for this one tomorrow but I'm planning on tackling something similarly ambitious one of these weekends (though racing keeps interfering at the moment).

Good luck with it though.

Some weekend in either late May or June I am going to do a tour of the masts. Thee Rock to Kippure to Mt Leinster and back. Might be good training for the Marmoteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

ROK ON wrote: »
    Some weekend in either late May or June I am going to do a tour of the masts. Thee Rock to Kippure to Mt Leinster and back. Might be good training for the Marmoteers.

Sounds promising. What would the distance and elevation be on something like that? There's a lot of transition on it, but I haven't been over Mt. Leinster since the sportive, and that was on the worst day ever. There's two ways up it btw, having gone that far it would probably make sense to do both :P/.

I'm still threatening to do 10 assents to the viewpoint - 5 x Stocking Lane and 5 x Cruagh. It'll be a test of mental toughness as well as legs (and counting). Over 3000m of climbing in ~120km I think. That'll probably be a solo effort though I'm guessing. me@ucd is right in saying there is some resemblance to an alp to bits of those climbs (though the road surface on Cruagh would incense the French I think).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Go on .. I will join you on your 10 ascents to viewpoint ... we can have a bet on how many laps it takes you to lap me ... the loser buys pints at the hole in the wall on the way home.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    Sounds promising. What would the distance and elevation be on something like that? There's a lot of transition on it, but I haven't been over Mt. Leinster since the sportive, and that was on the worst day ever. There's two ways up it btw, having gone that far it would probably make sense to do both :P/.

I'm still threatening to do 10 assents to the viewpoint - 5 x Stocking Lane and 5 x Cruagh. It'll be a test of mental toughness as well as legs (and counting). Over 3000m of climbing in ~120km I think. That'll probably be a solo effort though I'm guessing. me@ucd is right in saying there is some resemblance to an alp to bits of those climbs (though the road surface on Cruagh would incense the French I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I'd be on for the 10 ascents too. Great chance to practice pacing :)

Tom if you were to do it on a weeknight I would also join in.
    However 10 ascents of 3 rock gets 3370 in 80km.

As to the spin that takes in the masts. 120 km M50bridge at Stocking lane to Mt Leinster.

As to the spin that takes in the masts. 120 km M50bridge at Stocking lane to Mt Leinster.

Can be made longer if folks wanted to then cycle to Bagnalstown for the last train back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Just back from a Luggala / SE / SM 170k ball-buster so I am most certainly out for tomoro :) There's wildfires around Donard, some of the roads were consumed by fire, oddly enough the firemen were happy to let me sail by and figure out the danger-levels for myself :rolleyes: But yeah, be aware of this if you're out that way tomoro

solo so, like the idea of the ten climbs, of both cruagh/stocking and 3 rock.

beans wrote: »
    Just back from a Luggala / SE / SM 170k ball-buster so I am most certainly out for tomoro :) There's wildfires around Donard, some of the roads were consumed by fire, oddly enough the firemen were happy to let me sail by and figure out the danger-levels for myself :rolleyes: But yeah, be aware of this if you're out that way tomoro

i'll save my water bottles for it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

- Laragh - SE - SM - SM - SE - Wick Gap

i'm sure it'll be pretty obvious once it's spelt out, but what's SE & SM stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Shay Elliott and Slievemann - the 2 big hills out of Laragh and Glenmalure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

LastGasp wrote: »
    Shay Elliott and Slievemann - the 2 big hills out of Laragh and Glenmalure.

ya, knew it'd be obvious, Friday night brain drain. Thanks LastGasp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

If anyone interested in joining up wouldnt mind the company, not sure if i'll complete the below route but its the plan for saturday.

Approx 155km Dundrum to stocking lane - 2500m climbing according to mapmyride (sound right??). Mapmyride clocks the marmotte course at 165km / 4650m (i know its not totally accurate but its comparable on the same platform so to speak).

Can reassess the situation whether to do over and back of wicklow gap come the time, if feeling strong enough i guess.

Ye are scaring the bjaziz out of me-signed up for 2010 marmotte in the pub one night-sounded like a nice scenic spin in the hills between sessions. Startin to sound like road racing round the lumpy Leinster circuits aint going to prepare me for this! Mind if I gate crash one of your spins some weekend soon? I dont mind getting dropped early once someone gives me a map back to civilisation. Sounds like i need to spend some time tryin to get to the top shelf in the hurt locker.

Advertisement